Dental Surgery And Pad Repair For Poor Bumper Today

I'm about to take Bumper in to have his 4 canines removed (was a crate chewer at the track and they are fractured). While under, he'll also have a pesky wart removed and his pad hulled. Remember the broken toe issue and the recent update that original vet now says amp asap? Well, new vet wants to first remove debris he thinks is embedded in the pad (from the splint?) and is thinking that may solve the limp. He doesn't see a current issue with the toe but we are x-raying again while he is under to be sure. It will be very interesting if his hypothesis is correct.

Anyhow, he is a grey savvy guy so we're happy about that. If you can spare any kind thoughts and good wishes for our dear friend Bumper, that would be appreciated! Thanks GTers!

Edited by Trihounds

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Very best wishes for Bumper. goodluck.gifclover.gif You deserve a break buddy!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Lots and lots of good healing thoughts for Bumper and hoping the surgery fixes the limping. :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hope Bumper had a successful visit.

I am very curious about his toe.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

UPDATE - 1/2 way through!

Bump is losing his 12 incisors as well. Poor guy! 16 teeth...so to all the houndies out there, whether at the track or at home: YOU CANNOT EAT CRATES! Only bad things will result!

(Bump is not crated at home and we never did see this behavior when he was crated with us in the beginning)

The vet is also pleased with the hulling of stuff on his pad. Hopefully that is what was causing the discomfort and he can keep his toe blink.gif

Derek

UPDATE - 1/2 way through!

Bump is losing his 12 incisors as well. Poor guy! 16 teeth...so to all the houndies out there, whether at the track or at home: YOU CANNOT EAT CRATES! Only bad things will result!

(Bump is not crated at home and we never did see this behavior when he was crated with us in the beginning)

The vet is also pleased with the hulling of stuff on his pad. Hopefully that is what was causing the discomfort and he can keep his toe blink.gif

Sounds good.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hoping he heals quickly and well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'll save everyone the gory pics, but my main guy is home, carried in on a stretcher . The surgery was 5 hours total (had a wart removed and debris from his splint for the broken toe as well). 12 incisors and 4 canines as I mentioned from chewing his crate at the track.

Because the surgery was longer than expected and the vet closes at 8pm, he's not quite awake yet, though has had a couple of freak out moments. You can imagine this is frightening to watch. I know he will be ok in a few days, but tonight will be a long night. Hopefully he can stand and go outside by morning.

He's been bleeding (normally I'm told), though not at all continuous. Just not fun to see!

Anyway, brutal day, I feel guilty because he was happily playing this morning and then I've put him in a horrible state. The teeth needed to come out, but there was no 'immediate urgency'. Ugh, I hate this feeling -it is upsetting. I'd do anything to make him better. sad.gif

Derek

And how is our patient this morning? Hopefully, your night passed smoothly and he is well on his well to feeling better today. Poor guy.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

is he bleeding a lot - if so check with your vet whether you need to get amicar

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the concern!

MaryJane - yes, came home with Amicar....apparently it is not readily available in Canada and it had to be shipped in from one of our vet colleges! The bleeding is better, though the boy needs a good cleanup!

Thankfully, we had a half decent night. Bump was up at 3 am but settled back down quickly. I made good use of the extra dog beds and slept beside him, which I know he appreciated. Every time he'd cry, a little rub to remind him I was there soothed him quickly. It's crazy what we do for our dogs, isn't it??

We're having trouble (as expected) getting him to swallow the meds. I try everything: pill pockets and good tasty wraps, forcing it in the side of his mouth, holding his head up, etc. He is great at spitting meds out no matter how far back in his throat. Got the tiny tramadol in this am, but not the AB or Amicar yet. Giving him a break and trying again soon. He ate and drank a bit this am, which was great.

Will leave you with this question:Have you ever had to catch pee flying out of a stumbling dog while brushing your teeth?

Don't ask me for tips rolleyes.gif

Edited by Trihounds

Derek

Derek, just seeing this now. Wow, that is quite the procedure. I thought removing the canines was a nasty affair due to their attachment at the jaw so I've been told. A 5 hour op is a long one. I hope Bumper's on the mend quickly as it's never fun to have a 'sick' pup and like you say, you'll do anything for them.

I'll leave your last question to others to answer!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad Bumper had a reasonably good night

:goodluck

Here's to an uncomplicated recovery

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So glad you had a pretty good night. His mouth must hurt something fierce - gonna be hard to get those pills down. sad.gif Hopefully his appetite will overcome his soreness & you can sneak everything in. Feel better Bumper! kiss1.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis