Two Dogs, One Crated, One Not?

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Guest Tiptons_Mom

I currently have one dog, Tipton (Terrible SA) that we decided not to crate anymore after he destroyed bedding and got out of the crate. He has been okay (no potty accidents or destrucitve behavior) but his SA has him pacing and howling all day long. After careful consideration and working with a trainer and my vet we decided that the best help for him was to use prozac to help manage his anxitey while alone training with the hopes of weaning him off at some point.

He has been much better even after only a few days on the medication though we are still not crating him. On the meds we have seen a big decrease in the time spent panicked and even able to spend time sleeping peacefully.

We have been in the process of adopting a second hound (hoping that this would also help with the SA) but we ran into a delay. The other dog was diagnosed with a TBD and had to be treated which meant that we would have to wait for him for about 6 weeks.

I got the call today, that the adoption center and the vet approved the new dog to come home in between treatments which means he can come 4 weeks early.

Because he is new to the house, I will be crating the new dog while I am out, but my question is, do I try to crate Tipton again? I believe that the SA was the cause of the crate problem since he will lay down in his crate when we are home on occasion. With the new dog in the house, they would be crated directly next to each other, so he would not be alone and I am thinking that maybe the prozac would also help.

I have a concern that if I only crate Duncan (new dog) that he will try to escape the crate to be out like Tipton or spend his days howling/barking.

Does anyone have two or more dogs, but only crate some of them? Does that pose any issues between the dogs?

I

Celeste was our first greyhound. By the time we added Darcy, our second greyhound, Celeste was no longer crated. We initially put Darcy in a crate. She went nuts. Our guess is that Celeste did not spend time in the room where the crate was (even though we chose the room Celeste liked to hang out in). So, Darcy knew there was another grey in the house, but could not be with her. We only crated Darcy for 2 days despite the fact that she had just come off the track. Thankfully, we did not have any issues with destruction or pottying in the house.

So... I guess my lesson learned is that if you're only going to crate one, make sure the other dog is kept within the same room so that the crated dog can see them. You may also find that a crate might not be necessary for a second hound. Darcy learned the rules of the house very quickly from Celeste.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Yep. We do what works best for the individual dogs. Depending on the mix we have they may all be uncrated, all crated (exceedingly rare), or a mix of crated & uncrated. What we have not done is have one dog isolated from the rest. There might be barriers like crate walls, xpens or baby gates dividing them but they can at least see & smell each other. Even lay next to each other if that's what they both choose.

Make sense?

That's a tough situation but I can answer your last question from personal experience.

We added a third hound, Squirt, about 3 weeks ago and as we are away every weekend at my parent's house (with all dogs), we are crating her, but not the boys (haven't been in a crate in years), though we have made it such that the boys are beside her while we are out. Apparently Squirt barks the "entire" time we are gone, even though the boys are in close proximity. This coming weekend, even though she will have a short 4 weeks in our house, we're going to leave her uncrated to see if that helps. We're rolling the dice but know we can't have her barking all day each day (we are off skiing in the day but come home to let her out at lunch). We are hopeful that she'll quiet down and all will be well.

For what it's worth, we've left Squirt uncrated in our house on 2 occasions and she has been perfect and slept. At my parents when we get back at lunch or end of day (while she is crated), she is a panting mess...

As you can see, we're rolling the dice, trial and error, but from what we know of Squirt so far, the odds are in our favor that she'll be just fine. Sometimes you simply have to try different things. Good luck!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

We had Ryder crated when we got him and Kasey had roam of the house during that time. This happened for 8 monhts. When I uncrated Ryder after 8 months, I closed off our bedrooms and slowly Ryder gained privileges to the rest of the house, however this also prevented Kasey from sleeping on our bed when we weren't home much to his dismay. I was limiting Kasey, a dog that hadn't been crated for years because Ryder didn't have run of the whole house yet. So they both went through changes and had to cope with those changes at the same time. You are in a tight spot because Tipton has SA.

I would lean towards crating the new dog and letting Tipton roam free. Maybe put a bed beside the crate for him to hang out beside his new friend. If you decide to crate both, I would recommend the crates being close to eachother so Tipton can see and smell his new friend during the day. That might be calming enough for him not to destroy his bed, you never know.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

When we go out, we crate Fuzzy while Idol and Paul are not. They are all confined to one room with a baby gate. Fuzzy tends to get in trouble if he is loose in the house and he doesn't mind being crated. Now in our rental, which is really small, we have no room for a crate. We put a baby gate in front of the kitchen and close the bathroom doors. He was picking garbage until I realized what he was doing. :o

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

When I fostered, I always crated the new foster dog and my dog was always out and about. It was never an issue.

Yup. I have three of my own and fosters on a regular basis. Fosters are always crated when we are gone, and my hounds have free run of the house including a doggie door. Never have problems. I wouldn't start anthropomorphizing.

Guest verthib

I currently have one dog, Tipton (Terrible SA) that we decided not to crate anymore after he destroyed bedding and got out of the crate. He has been okay (no potty accidents or destrucitve behavior) but his SA has him pacing and howling all day long. After careful consideration and working with a trainer and my vet we decided that the best help for him was to use prozac to help manage his anxitey while alone training with the hopes of weaning him off at some point.

He has been much better even after only a few days on the medication though we are still not crating him. On the meds we have seen a big decrease in the time spent panicked and even able to spend time sleeping peacefully.

We have been in the process of adopting a second hound (hoping that this would also help with the SA) but we ran into a delay. The other dog was diagnosed with a TBD and had to be treated which meant that we would have to wait for him for about 6 weeks.

I got the call today, that the adoption center and the vet approved the new dog to come home in between treatments which means he can come 4 weeks early.

Because he is new to the house, I will be crating the new dog while I am out, but my question is, do I try to crate Tipton again? I believe that the SA was the cause of the crate problem since he will lay down in his crate when we are home on occasion. With the new dog in the house, they would be crated directly next to each other, so he would not be alone and I am thinking that maybe the prozac would also help.

I have a concern that if I only crate Duncan (new dog) that he will try to escape the crate to be out like Tipton or spend his days howling/barking.

Does anyone have two or more dogs, but only crate some of them? Does that pose any issues between the dogs?

Gracie had awful SA. To the point of notching her teeth from biting crate bars. We got Angus to help with her SA and we crated BOTH of them in side by side crates. Her dislike of the crate went away overnight. I would try crating both of them. You may find that works well like it did/does for us. It probably isn't so much the dislike of the crate as it is just not wanting to be alone.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Gracie had awful SA. To the point of notching her teeth from biting crate bars. We got Angus to help with her SA and we crated BOTH of them in side by side crates. Her dislike of the crate went away overnight. I would try crating both of them. You may find that works well like it did/does for us. It probably isn't so much the dislike of the crate as it is just not wanting to be alone.

That is what I was thinking too. Hopefully having a "bunk mate" would help him to feel comfy in the crate. I can try it for tomorrow and use SKYPE like usual to watch over things. If he starts going goofy in the crate like he was before with destroying bedding or chewing at the bars, I will have my neighbor go over and let Tipton out of the crate.

Edited by Tiptons_Mom

I think as long as the crated dog can see the other(s) you're probably OK.

Our dogs stay in our finished lower level when we're not home, and foster dogs are usually crated.

We just got Wingnut on Friday, and he's currently crated and the girls aren't. He doesn't seem too bothered by it.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Sara is 11 and there is no crating her! We crate Sonny when we leave and there is no problem. However, if we crate him at night and Sara is in a different room, he cries so we don't crate him at night anymore.

Whenever we had foster dogs, they were always crated and Sara was always out. It was never an issue.

when i got emily, willie wonka was loose, she was crated

when i got felix, emily and willie were loose, felix was crated

the same w/ annie but then it was a case of musical crates, so i gave felix back his crate(emily had passed by then)

when a dog boards here- crate for the boarder, mine are free, but there is always a que at the crate door.

try putting up an extra crate, leave the door open w/ treats, a kong, marrow bone and a blanket waiting for tipton. one can never tell...

Our last Dobe was crated when we were gone and the other 2 were loose and we had no issues at all. However... that dog really loved her crate.

Both Ruby & Nigel were bounces and came to us with 'SA/crate issues' so I did not even set up the crate for them.

We have a very large dog-proof mud room that we can babygate dogs(s) into.

Neither Ruby or Nigel had had any issues at all once they were here, and we really did not need to keep either of them 'locked' up in the mud room.

I think they were just so glad to have a home with another hound that they forgot to be anxious!

Can you put Tipton in his crate and babygate leave Duncan in the same room?

Hopefully Tipton's anxiety will disappear once Duncan is home and neither will need the crate..

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest twogreytkids

My girl is always crated when I leave the house. She is just used to it and runs for her crate when she knows that I am leaving.

When I brought my boy home, I crated him, too. He would have none of it. Totally destroyed his crate. I decided to leave him out from then on. He has free roam of the house, with the exception of the bedrooms that are closed off.

My girl could care less.

Marcy

Definitely do not start crating Tipton again. Just make sure that he has access to the room where the new dog is crated so he can choose to be with him if it helps ease his SA further.

Violet had SA that was mostly resolved by leaving her uncrated (even though she loves the crate when I'm home) so she has free range while I'm out, while Zuri is crated in my bedroom. She sleeps in my bed all day with him nearby. If I'm not home in about 7 hrs, then she tends to get up and play and sometimes wait at the top of the stairs for me where she can watch the door. Zuri is unphased by what she does. In fact, when she was still crated and having really bad SA, I would leave the webcam on and he wasn't even bothered by her insane howling and barking. He's got mild SA of his own (and actually does better in the crate :rolleyes:) so go figure. :P

ETA: Glad you sought out medication and it seems to be helping him. Hopefully when the new dog comes home you'll be able to start weaning him off. Just go slowly, no such thing as too slow, but definitely such a thing as too fast. :)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest gomiesmom

We crated both, for a while. Then Gomer "graduated" and only Lilly was crated; she did fine,but the crates were in the bedroom, and I felt if Goms was loose ( not crated), then he needed to at least be in the bedroom with her so she would not think he was gone or we had taken him somewhere & not her. ( I actually shut the bedroom door) It worked out fine. Lilly did not seem to have any issues or resentments that she was crated. She got her frozen kong full of PB at first, then we just gave a cookie, and she just got right in. It may even help w/ any residual SA he may have.

Now, no one is crated ( Lilly has now graduated)

Hope you find the "peaceful balance".... you will.

Edited by gomiesmom