Hunter (Tj's Gift) 7/1/1998 - 1/2/2012

Guest greytfulhounds

Guest greytfulhounds

This has to be the hardest thing I have ever written in my life. Realistically, I knew this day would have to come but emotionally it would mean that someone I cherished very dearly would be gone…….. :brokenheart

Ten years ago my parents were talking about adopting a greyhound. I clearly remember thinking my mother was crazy & saying to her “why would you want one of those big, hyper dogs?!!” ;) My parents followed through with their plans & in December, 2001, they adopted a beautiful, fawn girl named Lady. Little did I know that my world was about to drastically change.

My parents started to bring Lady whenever they came to my home & one fateful weekend in March, 2002, they had to go away & asked if we would keep her for the weekend. That was it; my husband & I had fallen in love with Lady and wanted to adopt one of those “big, hyper dogs” for ourselves. Well, actually, we had told my parents we were never going to give Lady back. LOL!!

So, we started looking into greyhound adoption groups in our area, reading about greyhound adoption, etc. We decided on an adoption group & put in our application for a fawn female because we loved Lady so much & all fawn females had to be the same, right? :rolleyes: LOL!! The group contacted us & invited us out to a meet & greet to say hello but told us that the only foster they would have with them that day was a brindle male. I decided to go meet them anyway & took Lady with me. During the course of this meet & greet Lady & I both fell for this handsome brindle boy. :beatheart By the end of the meet & greet Lady was snuggling & laying her head on him & I was finding it hard to leave him behind. I came home & talked to my husband about him & it was decided that he was going to be our baby.

In April, 2002, TJ’s Gift came home to be a part of our family. :D We renamed him Hunter in honor of Robert Hunter, one of the songwriters for the Grateful Dead, whose music we both love.

This sweet boy quickly became one of the greatest loves of my life. :wub: I never knew I could have a connection with an animal like the one I shared with Hunter. We always seemed to be in touch with what the other one needed or there was always a glance between the two of us where I knew he could sense what was going on in my head. I know this might sound crazy but it was really like that. I always knew he loved me & he showed me all the time. He & my husband loved each other very much too but Hunter & I shared a special bond; he was my boy. My husband jokingly one day took his wedding ring off & handed it to Hunter saying “here you go buddy” because Hunter always wanted the spot next to me in bed so he could share my pillow.

Hunter was not only handsome but he had the softest fur I have ever felt; it was as soft as a bunny. He had the most amazing ears & eyes that just melted my heart. The older he got the more stunning he became. :beatheart I always joked that he was my George Clooney of greyhounds.

Over the years Hunter opened the door for other hounds to join our family. He was always accepting & never even a grumble when we asked him to share his space with just one more. During these past 10 years we have been blessed with 8 greyhounds of our own; 4 (including Hunter) are waiting at the Bridge. Hunter was also our start into the world of greyhound adoption, volunteering, fostering, dog sitting, GUR’s, meet & greets, etc. Our world really did take on a major change. With all of this came some wonderful friends that we would have never known had it not been for Hunter. I am so grateful for these friends & many of them have become like family to us.

I know this is long but I could go on & on about how amazing my Hunter was & what he meant to me. The bottom line is I miss him beyond measure. My heart aches to snuggle with him one more time. We were blessed with 10 years together & we could have had 20 more years & it still would not have been enough for my heart. Making the decision to help him along on his journey was extremely painful but his body & health were being cruel to him & I loved him too much to allow him to continue without his dignity.

Hunter, I hope you are running & playing with the angels my sweet boy. :angelwings I know we will see each other again one day; until then you will live in my heart. I love & miss you every day. :cry1:brokenheart

Hunter & Lady :inlove shortly after adoption....they are now together again at the Bridge.

hunter6.jpg

Hunter & I at our very first meet & greet in May of 2002. :wub:

hunter5.jpg

hunter7-1.jpg

Hunter & Joanie, our 2nd greyhound, at their first Dewey Beach in October, 2002....look at those awesome ears!! :wub:

happydogs4-1.jpg

Hunter's 12th Birthday party :blowcandle (July, 2010).....he had a 13th birthday party too but my camera did not cooperate for good pictures.

hunterhat.jpg

Our last Dewey Beach together, we were sharing an afternoon moment on the beach.

dewey38.jpg

That dear white face :wub: :wub: . I'm so sorry he couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry it was time for him to go. :cry1 Your tribute to your cherished boy was very touching. :heart Godspeed, precious Hunter... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

It's easy to understand how you (and Lady) fell hard for his handsome, wonderful self. Please extend my condolences also to your dear husband.

:grouphug:f_white:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

He was meant to be with you! How blessed you are to have shared your life with a true heart dog, but how overwhelming his absence will be. Your husband's wedding ring transfer made me smile through tears, as did the pictures of his sweet silver face (and the ears!).

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Hunter.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry. What a beautiful tribute, I have a huge lump in my throat. Godspeed sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest multigrey

What a very very special boy he was and how lucky you both were to have each other for ten wonderful years.

My heart goes out to all of you.....

Godspeed, Hunter......

f_yellow

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Your tribute could not be anymore touching or heartfelt. It moved me to tears. Ten years, and yet, it seems like yesterday, doesn't it. My heart is breaking for you and DH. "Tj's Gift", a gift indeed. :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Hunter, you were a greyt dog. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My heart still hurts right along with you. I'm so glad I got to visit at Christmas and to pet that bunny-soft fur of Hunter's. He will, indeed, be missed. By many.

:bighug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Your handsome boy had to leave, but his legacy lives on.

Godspeed Hunter.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest vahoundlover

Hunters legacy is a big one. He changed your life like Sheba and Dolly changed ours. I sometimes think WOW WOW WOW!, if one of us had taken a different path just a slight jaunt left or right, we wouldn't know each other. 2002 was a life altering year for both us!.

I am so sorry your special fella had to leave you. :grouphug it's been an honor getting to know him.

The last pic I took of the two of you

Dewey2009039-1.jpg

This past spring

DSC_0039.jpg

With Uncle Allan 2007

NewJerseyPhillyApril2007170.jpg

Run Free Hunter and thanks for sending your mom the moon. :f_red

Sherry, I am terribly sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. As you say, 10 years is not enough to share one's life with these special creatures. He obviously made a huge paw print on your heart.

Run free Hunter, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. What a beautiful tribute, I have a huge lump in my throat. Godspeed sweetie.

Nothing I can add to this except to nod in agreement......

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.