Tigerlily (Odwilla)

BertnLil

They say a mighty wind blows when a great soul leaves the earth. It blew all night here, so we couldn't sleep. Our beloved Lily left us yesterday at just before 5 PM. She suffered what we can only imagine was a stroke, and we decided to let her go. She was brave and warm until the end.

The first time we ever saw Lily, we looked at each other as if to say, "What are we getting ourselves into? This dog is enormous! She looks like a dinosaur!" We had recently lost Clarice and Oscar (DH) didn't believe that he could ever love a dog as much as he had loved her. Clarice was great in so many ways and he didn't believe that any dog could be as great as she was. Lily started educating him on the first day.

There are energy givers and energy takers. Although we love Birdie (our JRT) and Osorno (our lab), they are energy takers, constant work. Lily was the opposite. It was almost palpable, you could see it every time she met someone new. They would stroke her bunny soft fur and she would look into their eyes and they would always utter "wow" or "whoa." She had a kind, soft way about her that was impossible to not be captured by. Even Birdie, notorious for his venom and anxiety, found her to be a refuge. He loved her and trusted her more than he even trusts us. She just had her silent, strong, steady way. Completely unafraid. Never a trace of guilt. Never a thought of malice. Always honest, hopeful, happy. In all the moments we knew her (even through her cancer) she never exuded any negativity. From the moment she woke up in the morning (and woke us up, always SO happy to see us every day), to mealtimes (her absolute favorite time of day), to playing outside, going for walks.....happy. She was just happy to be with us. She required nothing of us. She just wanted US. No fuss. No special treats or toys. It wasn't about what we could give her or do for her, but about our very presence. She was happy in proximity and that was enough.

Lily started limping in July. We were praying for lyme disease when we scheduled the X-Rays. The day before her X-Rays I noticed a lump on her rear right leg. I squeezed it and she looked me right in the eye. I knew then what it was, what we always fear. The X-Rays confirmed it--osteo. We scheduled the amputation for four days later.

Four months and four chemo treatments later, we were cautiously hopeful. She seemed like her normal self, doing everything with gusto. Marching forward.

Christmas night we came home and she was panting and obviously uncomfortable. At first we thought bloat, but she didn't show any other symptoms other than panting. The vet confirmed our worst fears--the cancer had reformed in her abdomen. Inoperable. They sent us home with prednisone and tramadol, on borrowed time. A few weeks, maybe a month. We were lucky to have even that.

Yesterday, after a normal day, Lily tried to get up from a midday nap. I knew right away something was wrong--her head was tilted, her pupils dilated. She started whimpering, and kept trying to get up. I called my BIL, thank goodness he was home, he helped me get her into the car. I called Oscar at work and told him to meet me at the vet. We knew it was time. She left this life surrounded by people who loved her, who will love her forever, and who learned so much from her. We didn't get to spend as much time with her as we would have liked. Deep down, I always feared she'd die young--she was just so much. So much. Too much for this world. Enough to be an enormous good herself, and to make all of us better. To teach and to give and to leave us hoping we can somehow ever repay what she gave us. If we can even be half the soul she is, we will do do positive things in this life. And if we are good enough, if we remember and try enough, we might just be lucky enough to see her in the next. For where she is now, few are allowed.

IMGP0829.jpg

P7110498.jpg

photo.jpg

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

Your tribute was beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss; she was beautiful and obviously well-loved. You will see her again, I do believe that. Godspeed, Tigerlily...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute is beautiful and moving. Tigerlily is the essence of the happiness you describe in her photos and they capture this special quality in her so well. A lovely and sweet soul - I am sorry she couldn't stay with you longer.

flowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What a glorious girl! Such a special flower in your garden. Your tribute to her is beautiful, thank you for sharing her with us. I'm so sorry she couldn't stay longer. :grouphug

:f_white

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry she couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed, beautiful girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If we can even be half the soul she is, we will do do positive things in this life. And if we are good enough, if we remember and try enough, we might just be lucky enough to see her in the next. For where she is now, few are allowed.

I know exactly what you mean. I felt this way about Bee Wiseman, but I couldn't express this as beautifully as you did. Your tribute to Tigerlilly moved me to tears. It was as beautiful as she was.

I am so sorry for your loss of your best girl. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Pam, I am terribly sorry for your loss of Lily. Your tribute to her was wonderful and it shows how her spirit changed those around her. May she always run in those golden fields beyond the bridge.

Run free Lily, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

A special soul indeed. I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so sorry for your loss.

Take comfort in knowing that your sweet dog is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds