Bread

Guest kick

There are some hounds here who are very, very fond of bread. Right, Hot Rod????:lol

I usually give Rocket bread when he has the tummy runbles. Settles it right out. Otherwise, he's more of a Cookies and Bones man....:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

yup- rye, pita,whole wheat, oatmeal, flax seed, semolina,pumpernickle, bagels, italian,anything that resembles bread. they like it sooo much i can use it for treats when training. but then again, i come from a family of bread eaters. my 94 year old father is kept alive on BREAD!!!!(it seems like bread alone sometimes)

Edited by cleptogrey

Yup. I use any leftover bread, bagels or English muffins as a treat. Stale, fresh, they don't care.

The funny in our house is that Rocky the 'Tzu doesn't like bread, but he now eats it just so the greys don't get it. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest PhillyPups

The topic made me think of two words ~ Dammit Arrow ~ not mine, but he did gently take the biscuit right off my plate before I even noticed it moving. :lol

Easy way to pill Moe, stick the pill in bread with peanutbutter. She is an old farm girl and not used to having a pill shoved down her throat. The only time I did that to her, she bit me, not her fault, mine for not remembering she probably was never pilled and never spent time on the track. Now she gets pills in peanutbutter smeared on a piece of bread. :P

I usually give Rocket bread when he has the tummy runbles. Settles it right out. Otherwise, he's more of a Cookies and Bones man....:lol

Yup!

Good for tummy grumbles.

I always save the end crusts from a loaf for the dogs snacks!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has severe tummy issues and gets a pieace of bread every night at bedtime to keep it in check. He loves it, gets this crazed look in his eyes :lol

Bread is OK in moderation.

My bridge boy Tiny was a bread junkie. He came from a prison dog program, and when the inmates discovered how much he loved bread it became a game to smuggle him as much as he could eat. When I adopted him he was so fat he could hardly walk. In the journal his handler kept I found an entry that read simply, "I must stop enabling Tiny's bread addiction."

While I stopped feeding him bread, the addiction never really went away. Once he stole a loaf from the top of the refrigerator. I have no idea how.

When he had osteosarcoma and was nearing the end, I bought him a loaf to have all to himself. He got a third of it each day for the last three days. He was positively thrilled, and that was at a time when not much thrilled him anymore.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest FlosMomma

Mine eats anything in front of her. I was horrified to learn at Christmas that she scarfed down all the chocolates in a candy bowl on the table. While I was at church praying, she was here stealing! :lol

Easy way to pill Moe, stick the pill in bread with peanutbutter. She is an old farm girl and not used to having a pill shoved down her throat. The only time I did that to her, she bit me, not her fault, mine for not remembering she probably was never pilled and never spent time on the track. Now she gets pills in peanutbutter smeared on a piece of bread. :P

Yes, doing this right now with Angel. She's taking antibiotics morning and night after losing a tooth and having surgery. The others get a piece of bread with a dab or PB and they think they have died and gone to heaven! We don't do people food around here much for the hounds.

Edited to add: The exceptions being birthdays and gotcha days.

When he had osteosarcoma and was nearing the end, I bought him a loaf to have all to himself. He got a third of it each day for the last three days. He was positively thrilled, and that was at a time when not much thrilled him anymore.

Awww, brought tears to my eyes! :candle

Edited by june

For what's it worth - brewer's yeast is often one of the additives, along with canned vegetables, fruits, dry kibble, etc., to the meat mixture fed to greys, both in the racing kennel and on the farm. Hence, the fascination with bread that some dogs develop.

Like someone indicated earlier, getting a slice of bread out of the sack is definitely more tempting than cheese to a couple of the dogs that live here!

Annie Lambert

(metro Wichita, KS, area)

Enza will eat bread but I recently learned she will kill me for a slice of toast. Last weekend I had the stomach flu and the only thing I could hold down was toast.

Enza would steal pieces at all opportunities no matter how sick I was.

Edited by EnzaFerrari

Abby used to surf the countertop for bread (or meat, or anything). she was known to eat entire loaves of bread, whole rotisserie chickens, and whole boxes of Entenmanns coffee cake. One night, we returned to find her on the front couch with a bag of pretzels, delicately taking them out one by one. :rolleyes:

2rqyqhd.jpg