Dandi - Good Update 1/3/2012

Guest Adrianne

More good thoughts for Dandi. I hope he is feeling better very soon.

It sounds like you're the perfect Momma for him. I know how tough you NY ladies can be; I had an older lady move in across the street after her hubby died; she was born, raised, and lived her entire life in Brooklyn before moving to the South. Boy, she's tough!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Jennifer

I'll e you later with the technical details, which essentially mirror your recommendations, and I really appreciate your input. I'll PM you after I get back from visiting him.

A change for the better today! As of early morning, he was brighter, looking well, without any diarrhea. He's now on the metronidazole and tolerating it OK. (Fiona and I also have to sit down to go through his med list to see if there are any interactions.) She is going to continue hetastarch and IV fluids for another 24 hrs, with plans for him to come home tomorrow if he continues to improve. I'm sure she's rechecking his albumin and I'll find out if his UPC is in. The one question not yet answered is the off-the-charts lipase, but from what I read last night in the literature, this may be due to the PLE, could be a chronic pancreatitis, or even suggestive of pancreatic insufficiency. Lots to learn from his case!

Mama actually cooked for Dandi (sound the trumpets, I cooked!!) and am heading over with boiled turkey/rice and his meds. Hopefully the news will continue to be good and he'll come home far better than he went in.

The rest of the pack was astounding quiet and relaxed last night with Dandi gone. I told them they'd better not get too comfortable because the Tyrant will be back soon. ;) Thank you everyone for your loving thoughts!

Sending good thoughts for you and Dandi! :hope What have you tried so far for the diarrhea? While the endoscopy/biospy to confirm the diagnosis is obviously the ideal way to go, if it's not looking like that will happen in the near future, there's also the option of starting treatment for suspected IBD/PLE. If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start him on a limited antigen diet and metronidazole (or tylosin). Adding pred is the one step that I really try to avoid until we can confirm the diagnosis since it can interfere with testing. In cases where the owner has no plans to pursue further diagnostics, if all the signs point to IBD, I'll go ahead and start the pred too.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

sending good thoughts to Dandi! :hope :hope

and BLESS you for helping him and your other Galgos. Those babies have it even worse than our racing guys do :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Dandi is deeply appreciative of all of your kind wishes. He is also deeply humiliated that he should have to undergo the torture and degradation thrown upon him, just because he ate his IV catheter last night.

IMAG0107.jpgIMAG0104.jpg

He's improved a lot! He's continuing on the hetastarch and will have his labs checked again tomorrow. He's eating very well (thank goodness he's a kibble vacuum) and I brought him boiled turkey and rice for supper. No diarrhea -- actually, no poops! Fiona feels he's about halfway to a normal fluid status and has not developed ascites or edema. She said he looked very tired last night but has been alert all day - much brighter. The metronidazole has clearly helped with the diarrhea, for which I'm very grateful.

We're hoping that if the diarrhea can be controlled or stopped, his albumin levels should stabilize. She also suggested, and is probably right, that when the Avoderm baked L&R returned to the market after several months, the formula or meat had changed, thus the worsening of his diarrhea. Tomorrow we'll have to decide on a plan, even if it means using a commercial prescription diet temporarily while he stabilizes.

Of course I have the usual mother's guilt -- if I had brought him in MONTHS ago, this could have been prevented. All this time I was waiting for him to improve, and chalking up his weakening hind end to his back issues. OK, pity party over with. He's taught me humility and I'll have a very low threshhold from now on, for bringing him to the vet.

Thanks again, everyone!

He looks good. I hope he continues to improve and is now on the right track healthwise.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Dandi is deeply appreciative of all of your kind wishes. He is also deeply humiliated that he should have to undergo the torture and degradation thrown upon him, just because he ate his IV catheter last night.

...snip

Obviously he thinks he's cured and he's done with this junk! Tell him a positive attitude is a great portion of the battle! :P

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Very good news, WTG Dandi! Except for your choice of snack but otherwise, well done. Home with your mom. :bighug

J, a wait-and-see plan is often the way to go, please don't beat yourself up thinking that you should have done something different.

eta, snack = catheter, in case that was KNOT clear. :blush

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest hollyhound2000

Oh, the cone of shame for that poor boy!! He's going to get it from the rest of the pack if he has to wear that home! Best wishes for his continued recovery and thank you for helping the galgos . . .

Well, I wish I had better news. He had diarrhea today - and the vet is not sure what precipitated it, but is going to make some med changes overnight. Some of his regular meds, like clomipramine, robaxin and xanax, could be the culprits. I'm not sure what he's eaten besides his turkey and rice yesterday. And unfortunately, even with 48 hrs on hetastarch his albumin has not budged since admission (1.6). Not good, but at least he didn't slide back. He continues to be bright and alert, and as usual has a great appetite and no vomiting. His UPC was fine, so he's not spilling protein in his urine, which confirms some type of PLE or malabsorption disorder. His WBC count is elevated, but it sounds as if his other labs are either stable or improving.

I'm going to bring him home tomorrow and hope he stays stable through the weekend. Fiona tried to contact my IM vet but she's gone until next Tuesday. I think she's going to try to contact the other IM vet covering (I actually know her), and if he starts acting lethargic again or becomes weak, I'll have to bring him to the ER at the same clinic. Boy, do I hope I don't have to do that. But the writing is on the wall when it comes to him needing an IM eval ASAP, almost certainly with ultrasound and endoscopy with bx. Fiona will repeat labs tomorrow a.m,. and we'll figure out the plan for the weekend. I think he's got to go onto some type of low-residue veterinary diet until we get in to see the IM vet.

Holiday weekends should be illegal!

Did they or plan to run a bile acids test??? Also please keep in mind that Ghs blood proteins including albumin run on the low side (although 1.6 is too low). They may have plans to run a TLI test too.

I have been down this road before- its not fun or easy but, keep the hope- fingers crossed he will improve.

Did they or plan to run a bile acids test??? Also please keep in mind that Ghs blood proteins including albumin run on the low side (although 1.6 is too low). They may have plans to run a TLI test too.

I have been down this road before- its not fun or easy but, keep the hope- fingers crossed he will improve.

I don't believe bile acids were done, but I'll discuss this with Fiona. My concern is his sky-high lipase. From my reading, chronic pancreatitis may be concurrent with PLE, and it is often subclinical. I forgot to ask Fiona about doing a CPLi I also question pancreatic insufficiency as a result of chronic pancreatitis. He needs an abdominal U/S, which I assume the IM will do.

I remember you sharing your experience with PLE when you were talking online with Kathy (Tigger). Can you give me more details about diagnostic workup, med regimen and diet? Which form of PLE was diagnosed? Did you use a prescription diet?

I appreciate your support. :)

I don't believe bile acids were done, but I'll discuss this with Fiona. My concern is his sky-high lipase. From my reading, chronic pancreatitis may be concurrent with PLE, and it is often subclinical. I forgot to ask Fiona about doing a CPLi I also question pancreatic insufficiency as a result of chronic pancreatitis. He needs an abdominal U/S, which I assume the IM will do.

I remember you sharing your experience with PLE when you were talking online with Kathy (Tigger). Can you give me more details about diagnostic workup, med regimen and diet? Which form of PLE was diagnosed? Did you use a prescription diet?

I appreciate your support. :)

I'll send you a pm after work today.

:goodluck

Holiday weekends. :(

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

This has been a horrific day for Dandi.

Fiona called me at 6:30am, asking if I could come in to help her with Dandi. Apparently, at some point when she was not there, something happened resulting in wounds on his chest, belly and extremities, and a blanket of poop. She was coming in every 2 hrs to potty him since his diarrhea had started again yesterday. But her husband turned her alarm off so she could get some sleep, and instead of making it to the office at 4am, she didn't get there until 6. She was beside herself, crying because she was so upset about what happened. When she got in, she said he was splayed on his belly, thrashing to get up, screaming and absolutely crazed with fear. She was trying to bathe him (there was diarrhea everywhere) and examine his wounds, and that's when she called for help. By the time I got there,. he was sedated with bupe and cleaned up, and she was working on his wounds.

He's got huge areas of ecchymosis on both inner thighs, also on his belly and chest, and bruising and also abrasions on his elbows, hocks, tarsal-metatarsal joints, and various wounds on all extremities. The wounds I see are not full thickness but will need wound care. If he's not hurting in his hind legs right now, it's only because he's still gorked from the bupe -- tomorrow morning I think he's going to be miserable, and I have tramadol here for after the bupe wears off. He can walk but needs support until he gets going. I could not get him up the stairs from my garage, and he couldn't do it even with support, so Fiona came by to help me lift him up and get him up the stairs to a big, plush bed waiting for him. He ate a couple of chicken nuggets (not the best thing, but he looked excited and hadn't eaten much today), continues to drink heavily, and has peed rivers a couple of times. I have not yet seen him have diarrhea again today but the night is young.

He slept for an hour or so, and when I just went down to check on him, he'd gotten up and moved himself to another bed without any assistance, which is better than a few hours ago. He's still got the IV catheter in and I've got IV fluid to run if needed. Fiona is going to be around this weekend and, given that she lives around the corner, I know she'll be checking in on him by phone or in person. I'm going down now to warm up some turkey and rice for him and feed the other dogs. I just want him to stay quiet until he's feeling strong enough to move around himself and climb stairs safely. If I stay up in the bedroom, the other dogs do too, and I don't want anyone bothering him, so I go down frequently to check on him.

If he is doing OK and stable over the weekend, he'll be seeing my IM vet on Tuesday. If there's a problem beforehand, I'll call Fiona, and if it's necessary, I'll have to bring him to an ER. I really don't want to have to put him through the stress of another trip to the vet's so I'm hoping he's better tomorrow.

I was looking forward to him coming home in good spirits and alert, as he has been the last few days at the vet's office, but this has totally thrown him for a loop. I do not bear ill will toward Fiona. She's jumped through hoops for him, and I know she's beating herself up over this (when she should be beating her husband for shutting off her alarm).

I miss my big bully, the tyrant of his pack. I want him back... hopefully I'll see a spark of him tomorrow.

Thanks for listening.

J

Dandi! You poor baby. You just have to get better. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png