Could You Spare Some Prayers For Ace?

Ace is going in for surgery tomorrow morning. About a year ago she had a small tumor removed from her left rear leg. It was buried in her muscle, so the doctor didn't take any margins on it. It came back malignant, a nerve sheath tumor. Recommended margin for that is 3cm on each side (that's 1 INCH!!!), which would be nearly impossible to do considering where the tumor was. So, we just waited and hoped that it would not return. Ace takes an oral chemo drug (Leukeran) because she also has leukemia. So, we also hoped that the chemo would keep this thing at bay.

Well, she has developed a CLUSTER of three or four tumors on the left rear leg. Not in the same exact spot as before though, and these are closer to the surface. However, we have no idea how deep they are reaching down into her leg. Dr. Less is determined to get everything, but, if this tumor is attached to the sciatic nerve, he won't be able to take it all as he will risk nerve damage to the leg if he does.

To be honest I am more worried about this surgery than I was about Pinky's amputation. Ace will have the same surgeon that Pinky did and I trust him completely. I am just worried about what he will find and if he will be able to get it all.

As an aside, the bills from all of this (Pinky's surgery and now Ace's) are quite large. I'm a little freaked out by that but we'll find a way to get through it. I may have to get a part time job somewhere, but, if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

Please say a little prayer for my little peanut puppy tomorrow. Thanks.

3fd72cf0.jpg

**Update 1ish pm**

Ace is out of surgery and doing well. Dr. Less said that the tumor was not connected to any nerves, thank goodness. He did take a tiny bit of muscle in order to take some sort of a margin on the tumor. We should have results next week. She has internal and external stitches and her leg will be bandgaged for a bit to try to avoid swelling. Since she takes prednisone every other day, she can't have any NSAIDS, so she'll have tramadol for pain relief. I hope she doesn't need it or it does the job for her - I will be a wreck if she is in pain and I can't do anything for her.

I'll pick her up tonight after work. Thank you all so much for your prayers. We've really been through the wringer lately and we're ready for some good things!

**Update 7ish pm**

We're home. She came out of the back room at the vet's office with her tail wagging and gave me a big grin when she saw I was standing there with her collars and leash :wub: Her leg is wrapped from toe to thigh...this is partly to prevent swelling and partly to keep her somewhat subdued for a few days :lol Dr. Less said that he "could see she's 10 years old going on 2" so this will keep her from trying to run and jump. She was angry that I would not allow her to jump into the back of the Jeep. I picked her up and put her in and when I let her go she let out a BIG sigh :lol She ate her dinner, had some tramadol and is now resting on the couch. She isn't really sleeping - her eyes are open - I'm sure she's still working the anesthesia out of her system. Everyone was happy to see her, as she's the leader of the pack :) Now I just have to keep her quiet for a few days. We should have the pathology back early next week. Could be as early as Friday but I won't hold my breath.

Thank you all so much for your good thoughts...I just always get worried whenever surgery is involved. Even with routine things, sometimes things go wrong. I was terribly worried this tumor would be super invasive, thankfully it turned out to not be as bad as I feared.

**Update Thursday morning**

Ace slept pretty well last night - she was a bit restless around 11pm, so I gave her another tramadol dose. This morning she is bright eyed and back to her sassy self. She loves to have her chest rubbed, but when I stop, she throws her head back, bites the air, and chatters her teeth in an effort to get me to continue :lol She was back to doing that again this morning and giving me kisses. I can always tell if she's not well based on whether or not she will give me kisses. She is learning to get around a little better with her leg wrapped up, so it's not quite so awkward for her. She's eaten her breakfast and is resting now :)

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sending our best thoughts to you and Ace.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Best wishes for you and Ace...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sending lots fo prayers for your beautiful Ace. :kiss2

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Many prayers from our home to Ace. Looking at that picture of Ace I just want to reach over and kiss that adorable face. Everything has got to be alright. Look forward to an update after the surgery. Hugs to you and I pray for strength for you too to get you through this.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Good thoughts for Ace. I hope all goes well for your girl and that the surgery is a success!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.