She Ate Her Leather Tag Collar!

JenniferS

We think Razzy ate her leather braided tag collar due to coming home to her naked in her crate and the tags only left behind :eek

It happend sometime between 2:30 & 5 today. I called the vet and they said to watch for any signs of obstruction, vomiting, etc. but of course I am freaking out. It was thin, braided suede-like leather, dyed green, with black rubber tips. I'm hoping it passes without any problems. Thoughts?

Will be sleeping with one eye open tonight.... :pirate

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Wow! I'd just watch her carefully. I know for bones and sharp things you give bread but that may make things worse with long strings.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My angel Jake used to do that all the time - if I left him in the car (even for a minute) with a leather leash on he would chew through it and then start to treat it like a chew. It never seemed to hurt him but, needless to say, I started removing his leash if he was in the car by himself for any period.

Watch her closely over the next few days and you might want to give a bland diet until "it passes".

Sorry your baby decided it was snack time. Here's hoping that all goes well!

BTW, one of my previous non-grey dogs ate a superball. Yup, swallowed it whole. He's a ball fanatic, I would never have let him near one of these, but it happened at his foster home the day I went to pick him up. I watched and watched -- nothing. After a month of examining poo, I gave up. Suddenly, almost a year a later, he coughed and then puked it up. Never had any problems, never was off his food, never stopped running. You would never have known he had a ball in his stomach.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

BTW, one of my previous non-grey dogs ate a superball. Yup, swallowed it whole. He's a ball fanatic, I would never have let him near one of these, but it happened at his foster home the day I went to pick him up. I watched and watched -- nothing. After a month of examining poo, I gave up. Suddenly, almost a year a later, he coughed and then puked it up. Never had any problems, never was off his food, never stopped running. You would never have known he had a ball in his stomach.

:rofl:rotfl:rofl

Edited by june

emily ate an ace bandage,thank god it was not a really long one. a couple of slices of ripped up soft bread soaked in a generous amount of oil (i used olive oil- that's all i have) and water helped her pass it.

did you take the crate apart and check to see if it's stuck somewhere or under it or under furniture next to the crate?

Edited by cleptogrey

I wouldn't worry about it. This too shall pass. As long as it was just leather it will likely not cause a problem. I'd still keep an eye on her though & if she seems off I'd get her to the vet.

In the future, it is best to remove all collars, harnesses, etc. when crating a dog. When it comes to crates, naked is best.

If she's not showing signs of distress, don't worry about it.

Ryan ate one of those rubber balls with all the little tentacle things poking out of it. He pooped bits of orange for days and we figured that was the end of it. Seven months later, he started puked breakfast on our afternoon walk and wouldn't eat dinner. Went to the vet the following morning and they didn't really see much and he didn't want breakfast. Two hours later, he came in and was ready to eat. Went out and checked the yard and he'd finally been able to poop out the center of that ball he'd eaten 7 months earlier!

A friend's lab ate a football and he puked it up a year later. Just sat in his stomach not causing any problems until one day it moved and out it came.

Expensive piece of rawhide. :rolleyes: I'm sure she'll be fine. ;)

This!

Better a small piece of leather than nylon/plastic.

Nixon chewed up one of my good leather barn gloves. I found it a few days later in the yard.

Not sure which end it came out of.....

:eek

That said...do keep an eye on her!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest happygrey

Goodness, Razzy! :blink: I cannot list all of the contraband that Bentley has swallowed and passed ok. :rolleyes: Fortunately, it seems they can eat a fair amount of stuff without serious problems.

No more noshing, Razzy!

Edited by happygrey

Guest bluefawn

Yay Razzy! Good news :) One of my fosters ate a wooden popsicle stick - it just slid right down! Vet said to watch him, and I did (like a hawk), but never saw any sign of it again. It's weird (and kind of funny when it doesn't have a bad outcome) what these hounds will eat!