We Said Goodbye To Pretty Girl Tonight

Meandmy

Just two days ago, I started this thread about Pretty Girl. I could feel our time together growing short, but I didn't know everything would change so quickly. I'm glad I took a moment to snap a picture of my darling girl, as it's the last one of her I will have.

Pretty Girl came to us last year at the ripe old age of 12 1/2. She was returned due to divorce, by a nurse who worked twelve hour shifts and couldn't bear the thought of her being alone after having been part of a bustling house full of kids who were now grown, and other dogs who had already crossed the bridge.

From the start she was full of sass, and was just what we needed after having lost Shadow earlier last year. She trained us quickly, giving me a raspy bark (she had LP) whenever she wanted something from me, which was often. She loved to gallop across the yard in her old-lady way. We sometimes called her Forrest Gump, because if she was outside she was always running. She loved to be outside and would go in and out all day long if we'd let her. I can't tell you how many times she would want to go outside in a day, just to be out in the fresh air and sunshine.

Everyone who saw her adored her. She was a tiny girl - only just over 50 pounds - with the soft face that comes with age. So many people would come up to her and say "she's such a pretty girl!" just to find out that was her name. She chattered and nipped when she got excited and always had to stand close enough to touch me with her nose. I went to work every day with nose prints on my clothes and often a bit of her breakfast,too, as she'd rub on me when I said goodbye for the day.

Pretty Girl slowed down quickly in the last week and I could see that she was getting tired. She also had LS from the time she came to us; we tried several remedies during our time with her, but they didn't work. Suddenly, though, she got much weaker and became more and more uncomfortable. Her cognitive issues also got much worse, with her bouts of momentary confusion turning into anxiety.

I've read here a lot that you just know when it's time to say goodbye, but didn't know if I actually would. I also have read that when an animal can't do two of their three favorite things, it's a good indication that it's time to let them go. It's all true. By last night she couldn't go in and out of the yard as she couldn't keep her feet under her, and she didn't want to eat - by far her two favorite things. But she was comfortable with her extra pain meds so I thought we were okay until Tuesday, when we could go to our regular vet to let her go.

But tonight I saw the light go out behind her eyes. I felt it happen. It wouldn't be fair to make her stay any longer - it was so clear that she was ready to go. So we let her.

Goodbye, Pretty Girl. We will forever treasure every moment we had with you. Sleep peacefully, sweetness.

med_gallery_2863_3015_56116.jpg

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

I know how hard it is to watch them get older and more tired, until you have to give them that ultimate, heart-breaking gift to let them go. :cry1 What a beautiful girl she was, and so lucky to have found a home that treasured her in her final days. :grouphug

I'm so sorry your beautiful girl couldn't stay.

Godspeed, truly Pretty Girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss ~ rest in peace, Pretty Girl.

:f_pink:brokenheart:gh_lay:brokenheart:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard to watch them grow old but the love they give in return is such a special gift. Thank you for being there for her.

Godspeed Pretty Girl :f_pink

I am so sorry. Thank you for giving her a loving home in her final days, she will always remember that.

Run free Pretty Girl, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

You gave this sweet girl a home in her old age, loved her, cared for her, and made that hard but loving decision at the end for her. I hope you find comfort in the happiness you brought her. You were there for her, and that is everything. She was a beautiful dog. Sending hugs, because I know how it hurts.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl.

:f_pink

Run free Pretty G irl.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Run free, Pretty Girl. :gh_run2

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad she found you for her last months.

Godspeed Pretty Girl.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for your loss. It is the most blessed gift we can give them to know when to let them go. It is the hardest thing to do.

Sending prayers to help heal your heart.

june

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful time Pretty Girl had with you! I'm sorry she couldn't have stayed longer. Godspeed Pretty Girl! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

She was such a "pretty girl". I am so very sorry for your loss.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug Your beautiful tribute to her made me cry. :cry1 Godspeed, Pretty Girl... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.