Reminders Of Sweetie Are Everywhere And We Can't Stop Crying

Guest sweetiesmum

Guest sweetiesmum

We can't stop crying.

The house is empty now and yet filled because reminders of Sweetie are everywhere we look. In the living room there is his makeshift dog bed, the pillows and blankets and comforters now vacant and bereft as we feel. In the bedroom there is our king-sized bed where Sweetie loved to stretch out during the day and snuggle against us at night.The pen which Ray lovingly and painstakingly built has no happy hound racing up and down, digging joyfully in the dirt or spinning in crazy circles. There is no hound pausing in his romps to look up at us with lolling tongue and laughing eyes.

There is no hound. Sweetie is gone.

Even the kitchen is filled with reminders. There are the boxes of bones and bags of treats which he never got to finish. There is the jar of peanut butter sitting on the kitchen table. Oh how Sweetie loved his peanut butter and often would not eat his food until he got a bit of peanut butter on the end of a spoon as an appetizer. There are his food and water bowls, washed and sitting in the dish rack.

I look at the car and think about how much Sweetie loved to go for rides. Wherever we went we took him with us whenever we could. Now the blankets and comforters we had put in the back seat to make it more comfortable for him are in the basement waiting to be laundered and put away.

There is nowhere in the house or yard or car to look without being suddenly and painfully reminded that our beloved Sweetie is gone. We've spent most of the day crying and asking why? Why now? Why so soon? He went so quickly. We feel shocked and stunned and a little cheated of the years we thought we would have with him.

I know Sweetie would not want us to be sad. And I know that he would not mind in the least if we got another greyhound to fill the ache in our hearts. But the place were we got Sweetie has closed down and the nearest other place to adopt greyhounds in our state is an hour and a half away and right now our car is in no shape to drive that far. I worry too that we wouldn't be approved because we missed some vet appointments and booster shots during the year we didn't have a car at all and had no way of getting Sweetie to the vet.

There has to be someplace that has another greyhound waiting for us to come and get him and bring him back to his forever home.

But until we find that place and that hound all we have are reminders of Sweetie and a deep aching grief that he is gone.

And we can't stop crying.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you.

Sweetie was a happy boy -- you gave him so many treasured outings as well as routines at home. I am hoping that in the coming days he will send you some memories to make you smile again, even if you are still crying at the same time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Many of us know your heartbreak and understand all too well. Godspeed to Sweetie. I hope Sweetie guides a new hound your way to help you both move forward.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm so sorry, and I so understand the gaping hole Sweetie has left in your lives :grouphug .

Rest in peace, Sweetie :brokenheart

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Maybe an adoption group would be willing to travel to you with a hound. Maybe a senior is waiting or one who has been dumped back into the system after years of home life. When you feel you are ready, make a phone call to the adoption group..also, hounds sometimes wind up at the Humane Society or the local pound.

I am so sorry. Losing a hound is like losing a part of you and having only one, makes it so hard. I would suggest that you reach out to the adoption group closest to you as you never know what will happen. I am also sure that if Sweetie could take he would say, please open your heart to another pup and show them the love you have shown me. It is a great tribute to a pup to give another the same chance of their forever home. When you are ready, there will be a pup for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."

— Khalil Gibran

Wishing I could ease your sorrow. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

GT folks are the BEST and there is a huge network of people here who will step up to help you find a new hound, when you are ready.

It is so hard to lose a beloved pet - the pain is excruciating for awhile. Sending gentle hugs your way and praying that Sweetie will guide you in the right direction. Wishing I lived a bit closer and could help ... :grouphug

doG works in mysterious ways. I'm sure there will be another hound in your future.

He will never be able to take Sweetie's place, but will earn your love & give you his just the same.

Hugs, best wishes, & peace to you.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest sweetiesmum

Thank you all for your kind support. It means more to us than words can express.

I have one more thing to add.

Sweetie was our first greyhound. We have had and lost other dogs. Before I met Ray I lost pets of my own. We have lost both people in our lives. We was sad, we grieved. But we have never felt this kind of deep aching hurt, this overwhelming sense of total loss, this yawning emptiness.

We have to trust that with time the pain will ease. but right now it's hard to believe that it ever will.

My heart goes out to you -- it really is the hardest thing -- I hope the love you shared with Sweetie brings you some comfort soon. He knew how much you loved him, I am certain. And I will hope with the others here that another lucky hound finds a home with you when you're ready.

I understand the depth of love and sorrow you are feeling. It is difficult to believe right now, but I can only tell you from experience that Sweetie will take care of you and help guide a new pup to you. There will be signs that will be impossible to ignore that he is watching over you.

I am in the New Haven, CT area and am happy to be part of a ride to help that happen, when the time is right. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

There's always one - your "heart" dog or cat with whom there is that special connection as if the two of you are one. The pain is excruciating when they leave regardless of how old or young. Time does ease the pain, but I am typing this with tears streaming down my cheeks as I remember my dear, sweet Harley. I am so sorry for your loss. It's ok to open your heart to another - it will never be exactly the same, but then again, neither are snowflakes. Each is a masterpiece.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead