Aortic Mass Or Clot In Left Atrium

Sending our very best wishes for all of you :grouphug

Words fail me at them moment...just feeling sad today he is going through this but hopeful he can beat the odds stacked against him and live for many years comfortably :goodluck

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:grouphug Lorinda :grouphug:hope:candle Lazer :candle:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

17 days since the collapse,, update post 1

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Tears of joy..........................many, many tears of joy for the trememdous will to live; you willing him to live and his response. Bunnies, Mom! I gotta chase those bunnies! OMG - he has a sense of humor! You should be keeping a journal - it's beginning to sound like an episode of "House" - except you're not a Doctor, but I think you could play one on TV right about now.

:yay :yay Go get em Lazer!:yay :yay :grouphug :grouphug Lorinda :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have been keeping up with Lazer's story but have not posted. My prayers are with you and your sweet boy.

I just wanted to post a website that has an incredible amount of nutrition info. You can type in the type of food (not dog food, but human food) and it will tell you all you want to know. This is a great help to me in supplementing my girl's kidney diet. She is two years post-PLN diagnosis and going strong.

Here is the site:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

For instance, while many dog foods containing fish are too high in phosphorus, I discovered that it is because they include the fish bones. Great for healthy dogs, but not for kidney dogs. So canned salmon is not good, but canned tuna is not bad (although often too high in sodium if that is an issue). According to this site:

canned salmon (100 grams) has 329 mg of phosphorus, 19.8 g of protein and 139 kcal

canned tuna (100 grams) has 163 mg of phosphorus, 25.5 g of protein and 116 kcal

Your doctors can tell you what the goal is for phosphorus and protein per calories. For example, it might be less than 70 mg of phosphorus per 100 kcal (also known just as calories). It might be less than 13 percent of calories from protein.

So mix your protein sources with carbohydrates and fats that are low protein and low phosphorus (sticky glutinous rice has much less phosphorus than long grain brown rice (71 mg compared to 333 mg per 100 grams of raw rice). It has slightly less protein than the brown rice. Raw carrots (35 mg phosphorus per 100 grams (41 kcal). Frozen green beans (32 mg phosphorus per 100 grams (39 kcal).

So you can take Lazer's favorite foods and look them up. Then using the recommendations from your vet, you can either create a home cooked diet (supplement with a multivitamin) or create a supplementary food to mix into a prescription kidney diet to make it tastier.

Since the phosphorus content is typically measured as mg per 100 kcal, upping the calorie content by adding fats (olive oil has no phosphorus) can lower the phosphorus measurement. However, high fat can be bad for the pancreas so don't overdo it.

I hope this info helps you. You appear to be a person who is willing to research yourself. If you prefer, there is a nutritionist who will develop a homemade food recipe specifically for Lazer. I don't remember her name but I know they talk about her all the time on K9Kidney (a Yahoo group for dogs with kidney disease).

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

I have been keeping up with Lazer's story but have not posted. My prayers are with you and your sweet boy.

I just wanted to post a website that has an incredible amount of nutrition info. You can type in the type of food (not dog food, but human food) and it will tell you all you want to know. This is a great help to me in supplementing my girl's kidney diet. She is two years post-PLN diagnosis and going strong.

Here is the site:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

For instance, while many dog foods containing fish are too high in phosphorus, I discovered that it is because they include the fish bones. Great for healthy dogs, but not for kidney dogs. So canned salmon is not good, but canned tuna is not bad (although often too high in sodium if that is an issue). According to this site:

canned salmon (100 grams) has 329 mg of phosphorus, 19.8 g of protein and 139 kcal

canned tuna (100 grams) has 163 mg of phosphorus, 25.5 g of protein and 116 kcal

Your doctors can tell you what the goal is for phosphorus and protein per calories. For example, it might be less than 70 mg of phosphorus per 100 kcal (also known just as calories). It might be less than 13 percent of calories from protein.

So mix your protein sources with carbohydrates and fats that are low protein and low phosphorus (sticky glutinous rice has much less phosphorus than long grain brown rice (71 mg compared to 333 mg per 100 grams of raw rice). It has slightly less protein than the brown rice. Raw carrots (35 mg phosphorus per 100 grams (41 kcal). Frozen green beans (32 mg phosphorus per 100 grams (39 kcal).

So you can take Lazer's favorite foods and look them up. Then using the recommendations from your vet, you can either create a home cooked diet (supplement with a multivitamin) or create a supplementary food to mix into a prescription kidney diet to make it tastier.

Since the phosphorus content is typically measured as mg per 100 kcal, upping the calorie content by adding fats (olive oil has no phosphorus) can lower the phosphorus measurement. However, high fat can be bad for the pancreas so don't overdo it.

I hope this info helps you. You appear to be a person who is willing to research yourself. If you prefer, there is a nutritionist who will develop a homemade food recipe specifically for Lazer. I don't remember her name but I know they talk about her all the time on K9Kidney (a Yahoo group for dogs with kidney disease).

Jane

This is WONDERFUL! thank you!!!

thank you!!!

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

YOU ROCK LAZER!!!!!!!

It's a great update Lorinda! Keep on keeping on with the good fight! We're all here for you and your family!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lorinda, I am so happy for you that Lazer is continuing to do better and that for now he is happy. Enjoy each and ever moment with him and we'll keep hoping and believing in miracles!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm glad your boy continues to do well. Sending scritchies and prayers for ongoing improvement!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so glad that Lazer is doing better. You are doing such a great job, Lorinda!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I keep checking in for Lazer updates. Glad he's living life. I have a cat that gets LRS fluids daily and the cheapest place to get them is a local pharmacy, Costco being the cheapest). You may have to buy a case and need an Rx but buying local is cheaper then paying shipping. Those things are HEAVY to ship.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

:grouphug :grouphug Lorinda :grouphug :grouphug Lazer :grouphug :grouphug

wednesday update, post 1

So glad to hear he is hanging in there!

Does he have any dietary restrictions (allergies, severe intolerances, pancreatitis issues)? You've probably already been there, done that, but just in case: When they are ill and need to gain, I try to get some protein into them but otherwise don't worry much about *what* they eat. Scrambled eggs, cinnamon bread, graham crackers, Tripett (or Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe) .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So glad to hear he is hanging in there!

Does he have any dietary restrictions (allergies, severe intolerances, pancreatitis issues)? You've probably already been there, done that, but just in case: When they are ill and need to gain, I try to get some protein into them but otherwise don't worry much about *what* they eat. Scrambled eggs, cinnamon bread, graham crackers, Tripett (or Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe) .....

well, i am trying to do a modified kidney diet. Low phospherous, and a high quality, medium~Low % protein. However, He is getting whatever he will eat at this point.

Fat Balls, pancakes with peanut butter, treats, i've cooked rice/chicken mixture

i haven't tried the tripe this time around, seems like last time they didn't particularly care for it.

Thanks for the extra ideas... i haven't done scrambled eggs. good thing, if he doesn't like it,, I DO! :)

Edited by 3DogNite

Cottage cheese is good if he can do dairy. So glad he's hangingin there! EAT LAZER!!!!!!!!! :chow:food

:chocolate

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

thanks for the continued good news! I tried shaking powdered dried liver on Phene's food and he liked it. I also mixed in dried liver chunks. Maybe Laser would like that also :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.