Asia Li Is At The Bridge

Guest AmberStar47988

Guest AmberStar47988

It took me awhile to post this, but my Whippet-Lab mix went to the Bridge on Saturday. She didn't have an easy start to her life. She was born on the beaches of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Picked up as a souvenir by an American Marine, she was brought to Florida, where she became very sick. After exhausting his savings trying to make her well, he gave her up to rescue. She bounced around to four more homes with the same story. When Halfpint Haven took her in, she was horribly emaciated. Lisa, the president, took her to a savvy vet. At two years old, she was diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. The poor thing literally starved to death the more she ate! Lisa loved her and cared for her, healing Asia's body and heart for two years until finally I gave her a forever home of her own. Asia blossomed here in New Jersey, earning her CGC and acting as a natural therapy dog with no training. She was amazing in every way, and my constant companion for five years.

Several weeks ago I noticed that she was drinking like crazy. Several tests confirmed my worst fears. Despite the fact that Lisa, then I did everything possible to give her the best of care, her relatively late diagnosis of EPI (and the fact that it was a very bad case) had taken its' toll. Asia had developed diabetes and renal failure, two of the possible middle age concurrent conditions of EPI. At 9.5 years old, developing cataracts from the diabetes, and not having the temperament to tolerate twice-daily insulin injections after her scary history of being poked and prodded by vets, I made the difficult decision to say goodbye. Asia spent a week being spoiled rotten. She had a fifth gotcha day party complete with trips to the beach (down the shore to my fellow New Jersey folks!) and the country. She passed peacefully surrounded by my mom, my boyfriend Mark (whom she made into a dog lover after a lifetime of being afraid of dogs), my vet, and me. She may be gone in body, but she'll never be gone from our hearts.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Asia Li must've been very special.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She went through a lot in her short life but it was full of love in the last years. You gave Asia a good life and for that she was grateful.

Run free Asia, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss of a very special pup.

Godspeed, Asia Li.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Amber, I'm so very sorry for your loss of Asia. She was a very lucky girl to have such a wonderful family & I know she's very much missed. Godspeed Asia Li! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that Asia Li is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. We all share your sorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry for your loss...she may have had a rough start in life, but I'm sure you made up for it many times over.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Asia Li.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)