Gracy Is In Trouble

Guest roselle

Guest roselle

I can't believe I'm posting this, and am hoping that my excitable reaction to Gracy's change in seemingly good health is in overdrive. She stopped eating friday and has barely gotten out of her bed. Last night she needed a sling for me to take her out to potty. Friday night she cried severl times . Even with tramadol and gaba she cried. Today same thing with added crying when she laid down. I gave her a couple of turkey burgers and she ate. She has been coughing, and I have her scheduled for chest films on tuesday. I emailed my vet to see if he could see us tomorrow. What am I describing? What I hate is that with osteo we are all expecting the return of the @#%$&*( monster. Even though she has survived a year when this happens I loose all confidence. I hate this so much and yet I want to fight for every day with her. :sbox:headwall:crying:angryfire:weep:repuke

No advice, no thoughts to share. Just a :grouphug for you and prayers that Gracy is okay.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm so sorry you are going through this with Gracy. The only thing I can add is please try to call your vet's office as soon as they open on Monday morning. Some vets and their staff are so busy they may not get to their email first thing in the morning (or even that day). Positive thoughts are with you and Gracy.:grouphug

I'm so sorry you are going through this with Gracy. The only thing I can add is please try to call your vet's office as soon as they open on Monday morning. Some vets and their staff are so busy they may not get to their email first thing in the morning (or even that day). Positive thoughts are with you and Gracy.:grouphug

Definitely. Some vet offices don't even check their email unless they're specifically expecting something.

Our thoughts are with you too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Roselle, we know your feelings all to well. I agree with others, get on the phone with them ASAP today and try to squeeze Gracy in. Unfortunately the pain could be many things, a strain from overdoing things, could be she pulled something, could be her back is hurting her, and yes Osteo could be back....I say could but let's not go there now. Charlie had an 'episode' a little while back where he overdid it and our hearts were in our stomachs thinking it was something much much worse.

The cough has me more concerned. How bad is it? Shannon (Flash's mom), knows it all too well and it's supposedly distinctive. Hopefully it's something else but again, please try to call your vet and squeeze her in (beg, plead, etc.), that way you are doing all you can do and you will hopefully get some answers which is half the battle. We will be thinking good thoughts for Gracy and you!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

Grace saw the vet this morning. I waited with her while her chest and three legs were x-rayed. It was very evident that she has lung cancer in both lungs. I'm numb right now and not feeling much but I realize that I'm going to loose her. Grace is the most beautiful, gentle, sweet and loving dog. She still has life in her I see her spirit but she will die anyway. I't so unfair. I can't imagine not holding and planting a million kisses on her beautiful face. She joined our family at age 5, the age of retirement. She knew nothing about playing with toys, sunning on the deck or lounging in a plastic baby pool or chewing on a bully stick. These are the things she loves to do. Will someone out there tell me what to expect. Is there treatment for lung mets, how do I handle the pain. Any good cocktails out there? I hate that I can't control this, I can't do something to make the cancer go away. :gh_child:modstop

I'm so sorry. My sweet lab, Chaka, had cancer that had metastasized to her lungs, too, she was only 10. My only regret was that I couldn't have done it sooner, it was late on a Friday afternoon that she began panting, I took her to the vet first thing the next morning and that's when we let her go. As soon as I saw the xrays I set her free, I couldn't let her live one more day or night on earth like that, she was panting so much because it was so hard for her to breath. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I had to do it for her. I couldn't let her suffer because of me. Gentle hugs to both of you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm sorry. Just sending hugs for you and a gentle kiss for your loveliest girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm sorry to hear about Grace.

When Alex was diagnosed with lung mets from osteo, we tried the Metronomic protocol to buy more time. Unfortunately, the pill cocktail made him sick and we had to stop. We only had a few weeks with him. In his situation, he didn't seem to be in pain though. Just lethargic, stopped eating and coughing.

For Demon, we treated the symptoms to make him for comfortable instead of trying to extend his life. He was on pred., tramadol, codeine cough medicine and Sucralfate.

A few weeks later he started to weeze and we increased his dosages. A few weeks after that, he coughed up some blood clots. We added Aminophylline, a bronchial dialator. We decided to let him go 4 days later.

Oh no, I am so very sorry about Gracy's diagnosis. :(

Here are a couple of links that might shed more insight. If there are any smokers in the house, it would be good to keep her far away from smoke with her breathing trouble. http://www.caninecancer.com/lung.html

This is a good article about dogs' quality of life. Please keep scrolling down the page to read the full article. (There are ads that break up the body of the article.)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/understanding-quality-of-life-issues/page1.aspx

Our thoughts are with you and Gracy. We are living with a hound with cancer too. We can try our best to manage their comfort, and value every moment with them until their disease becomes too much for them.

:grouphug :grouphug Gracy :grouphug :grouphug Roselle :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest azlorenz

Grace saw the vet this morning. I waited with her while her chest and three legs were x-rayed. It was very evident that she has lung cancer in both lungs. I'm numb right now and not feeling much but I realize that I'm going to loose her. Grace is the most beautiful, gentle, sweet and loving dog. She still has life in her I see her spirit but she will die anyway. I't so unfair. I can't imagine not holding and planting a million kisses on her beautiful face. She joined our family at age 5, the age of retirement. She knew nothing about playing with toys, sunning on the deck or lounging in a plastic baby pool or chewing on a bully stick. These are the things she loves to do. Will someone out there tell me what to expect. Is there treatment for lung mets, how do I handle the pain. Any good cocktails out there? I hate that I can't control this, I can't do something to make the cancer go away. :gh_child:modstop

Roselle I am so sorry.......I can't tell you what to expect with Grace but I can tell you what we experienced with Flash. He was diagnosed with lung mets in both lungs on 10/18/10. He began coughing the first part of November. He would have a period of 2-3 bad days and would rally like there was nothing wrong for a week or so. The coughing became more frequent and he found it harder to catch his breath in his last days. He became increasingly pale and lethargic over this time. He wasn't getting good oxygen, his heart wasn't pumping blood like it should, and he was tired. I am so so sorry Roselle. The first thing I did after the oncologist told me Flash had mets was call my regular vet. The oncologist emailed the xrays to my regular vet and I asked her to be honest with me about what to expect. So I know that need to know. Please, if you need to talk to vet, whatever, please email me at shannonlorenz@cox.net. I know and feel your pain.

Shannon