Osteo Thread

I wonder if the piroxicam is tearing up her tummy. It might be time to try a different NSAID like deramaxx, metacam or rinadyl.

Hope she finds some comfort tonight.

The problem with this is that you need a washout period, not something you can do with an osteo hound. I wouldn't consider switching NSAIDs unless I had some solid evidence that the one she's on is a problem.

I started Neyla on a lower dose of Gabapentin, I think we started with something like 100 mg 3x/day although I could look it up in my journal if you need me to. Anyway, I remember it taking about 12 hours to kick in so I think it's too soon. See how she is an hour or so after she gets her second dose in the morning.

I would also consider switching her Tramadol and Gabapentin to 3x/day rather than 2 if your schedule allows it. I believe both of those drugs start to wear off after about 8 hours so in theory you would get better overall pain management by doing 3 slightly lower doses per day rather than 2 higher ones. Neyla basically got meds at 8, 4, 8 and midnight with some things (like pepcid and carafate later on) being stuck in between). Thankfully my work was flexible and I could work shorter hours/work from home as needed to accommodate this schedule - I realize not everyone can.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to meet you too tbhounds! Faye Oops was doing good on Sunday when you saw her. I was glad to have the chance to get her blessed even though I'm not a religious person myself. I was hoping the restlessness on Saturday night was just from being in the hotel, but it continued last night as well. I did ask our vet about alternatives to Piroxicam. Faye Oops really hasn't had any noticeable tummy issues with it. She has had regular, firm poops and a good appetite. We do give her Pepcid daily. Our vet is very reluctant to change her to a different NSAID at this point. Lethargy with the gabapentin would be nice... DH and I haven't slept in 2 nights (another reason for taking a sick day tomorrow). Faye Oops has been quiet for about the past 30 minutes. I hope we can all get some rest tonight.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

The nsaid piroxicam does have some cancer fighting properties, so I would probably try and stay with it. One thing you might consider is that with the gabepentin, the tramadol dose might be causing her to be restless - it can have that effect.

As far as Pinky getting back on the bed - if she doesn't have to do stairs, I think she should be OK, even if you carry her. Dude was back on the bed - HIS bed! not ours! - as soon as he could. And we all rested a lot better for being back to our normal routine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm wondering if the tramadol is making Fate Oops restless...it often made Sutra really restless and he would pant and pace, refusing to stay in bed. I quit giving it to him after a couple of restless nights in a row. Not necessarily suggesting that you should do this, but I'd at least try Jen's suggestion of a smaller dose 3 times a day and see if that gets you anywhere.

Again, this is so tough because every hound is different. So, it will take a little bit of trial and error to find what works for you.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The nsaid piroxicam does have some cancer fighting properties, so I would probably try and stay with it. One thing you might consider is that with the gabepentin, the tramadol dose might be causing her to be restless - it can have that effect.

As far as Pinky getting back on the bed - if she doesn't have to do stairs, I think she should be OK, even if you carry her. Dude was back on the bed - HIS bed! not ours! - as soon as he could. And we all rested a lot better for being back to our normal routine.

Yes cancer fighting properties with TCC ( bladder cancer). Just doesn't make sense that she's presenting with lameness yet to be showing increasing signs of discomfort.

I understand the need for a washout period but, at this point if she's already developing an ulcer changing NSAIDs at this point might not be the worst decision. Many vets will argue

the need for a washout period when switching between NSAIDs.

Perhaps , if Faye is to continue with the piroxicam then, it might be a good idea to start her on Carafate . Just a thought- hoping she'll settle and get some relief.

Edited to add-- was she restless when you first started her on the tramadol??

While I'm not a particularly religious person either I must admit I was glad she was blessed too- actually I was rather teary eyed seeing her in line. Breaks my heart to see these

Innocent, loving hounds endure such a rotten painful disease.

I was honored to have met her.

Hugs

Edited by tbhounds

After whining between 9-10 pm, Faye Oops settled down and actually slept through the night! :colgate I'm only up now because DH had to get up early for work. :lol Faye Oops hopped up in his spot and is laying alongside me in bed as I type this on the iPad.

I'm still calling in sick today so I can observe Faye Oops. Oh yeah, and to clean the house a bit for the in-laws who are coming to town today (like I need added stress right now :rolleyes: ). Adding new drugs always makes me nervous. As for the Tramadol, DH was wondering if she was tripping a bit because of it. In the month we've had her on it, she hasn't acted strange other than the past two nights. I'd think if she was going to react to the Tramadol that it would have shown itself earlier. We did increase the dosage to 3x/day the last two days, but now that she is also on the Gabapentin, we're going back down to 2x day.

As for Pinky... let that sweet girl back in your bed. :) She appears to be making such good progress. I also hope that Joe has a clean x-ray today. Reading about Pinky, Joe and Charlie the past couple of days just warms my heart. I hope your pups continue to kick osteos butt for as long as possible. While Faye Oops won't have that chance, I just know she isn't ready to cross the bridge quite yet. I think those of you that saw her at Greyhounds Rock like tbhounds would agree.

Edited by winnie

Great news about Faye Oops! :yay Glad that she had a restful night.

I think we may return to the bedroom tonight. Any time I went through the babygate into the other part of the house for a second, when I came back, Pinky would be standing at the gate wanting to charge through it. The bed is not any higher than the love seat that she has been flying up onto. We'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I finally got to speak to our vet on the way home from work today. She is so awesome. She called an oncologist vet friend who works at the Hope Center (specialized vet clinic here in NoVA) about the best course of action for Faye Oops. In addition to the Tramadol (100mg 2x/day) and Piroxicam (10mg 1x/day), we added the Gabapentin. We're starting at 300mg 2x/day for now. I'm hoping the Gabapentin gives us all some relief - haven't really slept in 2 days.

Faye Oops spirit is still good. She is using all 4 legs. She has been having trouble with stairs. She whines at the bottom, but does OK once she gets going. I don't think it's her time yet - just needed to get her comfortable again.

The Hope Center is who's seeing Gabe (Dr. McNeill).

So far, he's doing really well on Gabapentin, Rimadyl and Tramadol. He gets short leash walks 4x a day (back yard requires stairs), and he'll drag me if I let him.

I'm expecting to hear from the Center today with his FNA results, and then we'll try to schedule Chemo for tomorrow or Thursday.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I have some sad news to report. Today, at 2pm, Hailey will be crossing the bridge. Oh my God, I'm a mess but I can't let her suffer anymore.

She had a really bad night. She couldn't get comfortable. Crying a lot. Then this morning, she slipped coming down the stairs. I tried to stop her but I couldn't. The screams were awful. The swelling is so bad. It's time.

If you are my fb friend, please do not mention this yet. My parents are away in Florida and I don't want to call them. There is nothing they can do and it will just make them sad.

I am at work, for another hour. I had to come or I would have lost my mind. I brought her upstairs to sleep with me last night and I cuddled with her this morning. I can't believe that in 2 hours, my precious princess will be gone.

:grouphug I know that we've already exchanged messages today, but I wanted to also send along hugs to you, your family and your sweet Hailey. I wish we could have "met" under better circumstances, but I'm so glad to have learned about Faye Oops half-sister. Hailey will be at peace and waiting for Faye Oops and all the others over the Rainbow Bridge.

I have some sad news to report. Today, at 2pm, Hailey will be crossing the bridge. Oh my God, I'm a mess but I can't let her suffer anymore.

She had a really bad night. She couldn't get comfortable. Crying a lot. Then this morning, she slipped coming down the stairs. I tried to stop her but I couldn't. The screams were awful. The swelling is so bad. It's time.

If you are my fb friend, please do not mention this yet. My parents are away in Florida and I don't want to call them. There is nothing they can do and it will just make them sad.

I am at work, for another hour. I had to come or I would have lost my mind. I brought her upstairs to sleep with me last night and I cuddled with her this morning. I can't believe that in 2 hours, my precious princess will be gone.

I'm so sorry to read this :cry1 . I will be holding you and Hailey close in my thoughts today.

:grouphug

Christine, I'm so sorry you're losing your girl, but you know you're doing the best thing you can for her. I'll be thinking of you both...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:cry1 I'm so sorry. You'll be in my thoughts this afternoon :grouphug

Good luck to Joe!

Hailey, we will all be thinking of you, a pain free future is ahead of you.

As to gabapentin:

During a bad time for FedX he was on a dose of 200mg three times a day which is the same total dose. We found the total dose split over three times a day helped him a lot better than twice a day.

Gabapentin, although it has an initial effect, takes 2 days to get up to its full strength and keep a good level in the blood.

Edited by snakes

In the month we've had her on it, she hasn't acted strange other than the past two nights. I'd think if she was going to react to the Tramadol that it would have shown itself earlier. We did increase the dosage to 3x/day the last two days, but now that she is also on the Gabapentin, we're going back down to 2x day.

I don't get the continued suggestion to switch NSAIDs when there are no signs of stomach distress and you're already using pepcid. IMO the restlessness is most likely due to Tramadol or increased pain, both of which would be completely normal and especially in light of what you've said above, I think the Tramadol could be the culprit. Either way, your plan to add Gabapentin and reduce the Tramadol should address both. :goodluck

I'm so sorry to hear about Hailey. :cry1 It sounds like it's possible she fractured her leg so I think you are doing the right thing. Thinking of you and hoping for a peaceful passing for your girl. I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so very sorry. I'll be thinking about you and your brave girl. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Christine, I am so sorry you have to let Hailey go. So very sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Christine, I am so sorry that Hailey has to leave you. I know it will be devastating for you, but try to take some comfort in the fact that you are relieving her pain. This is the biggest show of love that we can give our furkids. She knows you will always love her. Godspeed, sweet Hailey.

Jane

I visited with Dr. Couto today. He passed along some preliminary information that will be of interest to some of you. It is suspected that greyhounds metabolize gabapentin faster than previously thought. This is based on a small sampling from another vet (not at OSU). This vet suggests that it might be more effective to give a smaller dose of gabapentin as often as every 4 or 5 hours.

So if you have a greyhound who might be experiencing this effect, you might consider asking the vet to give you a script for a smaller dosage and give it more frequently. Of course, if your greyhound is doing fine on a 3 a day schedule, there is no need to modify your routine. Also, since this is based on a small sample, this may not be able to be repeated in a larger study.

I just thought I would pass it along just in case anyone out there has a greyhound who would benefit from more frequent dosing (and of course a schedule that allows the more frequent dosing).

Of course, I can't remember the vet's name or the facility--some help I am, huh?

Jane

I am so very sorry her time has come. :weep

Yankeegreyhound, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

Run and play among the stars, precious Hailey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Christine, I'm so sorry you had to lose sweet Hailey. It's never easy, even when you know it's the right (and only) thing to do.

Run far and fast and free! :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am so saddened by the loss of Hailey. While it's nothing compared to her family, we all grieve at the loss of another to this awful disease.

Hurley's surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Best wishes to him and his family for a successful surgery and swift recovery.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Johanna, will be thinking of you and Hurley tomorrow and will be waiting for an update :hope