Osteo Thread

I'm so sorry to hear about Hailey......may she run free forever!!

Yes, Hurley has just a couple of hours left, I hope to be able to sleep a bit tonight. He slept in our bed with us last night and I thought I was awake the whole night....my body was sort of sleeping but my mind felt awake. I might not be able to sleep until I know he's alright!! He definitley knows Something is up...he got a bath tonight!

Thank you for your good thoughts: we will need ALL of them!!

I will post when I feel ready, probably in a new thread!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operation Back to Bed is going well so far. Pinky has no problem jumping up here but she hasn't figured out how to lay down on the bed comfortably yet (seems odd but I guess the couch is a different set of skills). So I've just had to help her lay down.

We just got up to go out to potty and we're back in bed. My back is very happy, and I think everyone else is too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

After a good night/day yesterday, Faye Oops had a rough night. She is losing control in her back end now. I'm guessing it may be related to the gabapentin. She slipped down the stairs this morning and several times in the foyer. It was awful. The odd thing is that she is still using her front leg where the osteo was discovered. I just don't know anymore. She'll no longer eat the pill pockets. We have to shove pills down her throat. I feel that the end is near. I'm going to call our vet today to find out her schedule over the next few days. We need to be prepared. I don't want Faye Oops to suffer. My heart is just breaking for Faye Oops, Hailey and all of the greyhounds lost to this awful disease.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Gabe is at the oncology center for his first chemotherapy session, and I'm next door at Starbucks trying to get some work done. I am absolutely buried in overdue work, but I can't concentrate on anything lately. I just want to drop everything and cuddle (and nap!) with my pup all day.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

GreytHurleyDawg - I wish Hurley the best of luck today.

vjgrey - I wish Gabe the best of luck today too.

Hearing stories about dogs that are pushing through this disease gives me such comfort. I think we can all use some good news.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Thank you everyone for you thoughts and prayers for Hailey and my family. I don't know what I would have done without the love and support from this site and my greyhound friends. It comforts me but saddens me at the same time to know that others have been down this road.

After a good night/day yesterday, Faye Oops had a rough night. She is losing control in her back end now. I'm guessing it may be related to the gabapentin. She slipped down the stairs this morning and several times in the foyer. It was awful. The odd thing is that she is still using her front leg where the osteo was discovered. I just don't know anymore. She'll no longer eat the pill pockets. We have to shove pills down her throat. I feel that the end is near. I'm going to call our vet today to find out her schedule over the next few days. We need to be prepared. I don't want Faye Oops to suffer. My heart is just breaking for Faye Oops, Hailey and all of the greyhounds lost to this awful disease.

Oh no!!!! I pray Faye Oops has a good day today. Did you call in sick again As for the pill pockets, Hailey was like that with any pill she had to take. She'd take it in something for a while but once she realized it was in there, she wouldn't take it anymore. Like peanut butter. She never trusted me with peanut butter because she thought I had some kind of pill in there. So, I always had to put it in her throat. What I did was, I put some peanut butter on my finger and put the pill on it. Then I'd open her mouth and put it at the top towards the back of her mouth. She always got the pills down.

For Sara, I have to roll her pills up in a piece of ham. Sometimes it slips out so she gets it in another small piece. Wrapped up. I swear she spits them out on purpose so she can have more ham.

I know your heart is breaking. I wish I could say something to make it better. Just take one day at a time.

I am surprised the Gapapentin would do this but each pup is different and so they may react differently. I'm sorry Faye Oops is going through this. As for the pills, unfortunately these pups get smarter and know where they are hidden. Charlie will sometimes leave pills he finds in his breaky or dinner and that's in a whole bowlful of food. We then slip them into a piece of banana or tofu, both of which he loves. I'm hoping you still have more time with your girl and that she has more good days than bad.

I am also heartbroken over Hailey. This disease is taking too many of our furry angels.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am surprised the Gapapentin would do this but each pup is different and so they may react differently. I'm sorry Faye Oops is going through this. As for the pills, unfortunately these pups get smarter and know where they are hidden. Charlie will sometimes leave pills he finds in his breaky or dinner and that's in a whole bowlful of food. We then slip them into a piece of banana or tofu, both of which he loves. I'm hoping you still have more time with your girl and that she has more good days than bad.

I am also heartbroken over Hailey. This disease is taking too many of our furry angels.

If the dose is too high it can definitely cause stumbling and slipping. I would back down a bit on the dose, preferably giving more smaller doses than less frequent larger ones if you can. I know it's tough because the Gabapentin is a capsule so you're limited in dosages.

Cat food worked really well for us for a while with the treats once PB became less interesting. I would also mush up shredded cheese to form a ball around the pills, that worked well for quite some time. You can also try cream cheese, marshmallows, and butter. Or what also worked for us was getting the clicker out and "pretending" we were doing a training session.

Have you thought about how you will reach your decision about when it's time? I know it's a difficult subject. :( Some people seem to just "know" when it's the right time, while others make a list. I did the latter, picked Neyla's 3 most favorite things and when she couldn't or didn't want to do those things, it was time. For Neyla, it was snuggling on the furniture with me, eating, and playing with toys. Neyla was always a food hound so I knew when her appetite was waning that it was definitely time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sutra was a master pill spitter outer :lol Pill pockets worked for a while, but, then they didn't. We used Fruit Roll ups for a while and those worked...then he chewed one day and discovered the pill. FIG NEWTONS were his favorite. Depending on the size of the pill I used 1/2 or 1/4 of a fig newton for each pilling. He snarfed those down like crazy! The other thing that worked for us was canned whipped cream. I'd hold the pill at the tips of my thumb and forefinger, then spritz some whipped cream on it. He never even tasted those pills, they were down the hatch so fast!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

What good ideas for pills, some a lot less messy than the peanut butter we use! :) I might have to try fig newtons when travelling :)

If i remember right (and correct me if i'm wrong), Faye Oops was started on 300mg twice a day, which is a decent dose. Maybe try going down to 200mg, or even spread the total dose out over the day. Uncoordination is definatly one of the main side effects of gabapentin. I don't know what size capsules you have but they do make them (and they are cheaper) if you get them in 100mg capsules, it will be easier to adjust the dosage using the 100mg.

We will be keeping our fingers crossed for faye oops.

Have you thought about how you will reach your decision about when it's time? I know it's a difficult subject. :( Some people seem to just "know" when it's the right time, while others make a list. I did the latter, picked Neyla's 3 most favorite things and when she couldn't or didn't want to do those things, it was time. For Neyla, it was snuggling on the furniture with me, eating, and playing with toys. Neyla was always a food hound so I knew when her appetite was waning that it was definitely time.

I've been thinking of "the time" ever since Faye Oops was diagnosed on October 14. The most upsetting thing today was watching Faye Oops slip and fall down the stairs and then slip again in the foyer. Celeste and I were behind her and could only watch it happen. I felt so helpless. Yes, it could be the Garapentin causing it. She seemed in such distress at about 2 a.m. that I had given her an extra dosage. It didn't help to make her any more comfortable though. She was still up most of the night whining and panting. Faye Oops did eat a good dinner last night. I offered her a cookie before work this morning. She wouldn't touch it. I tend to think she had such a good day yesterday as her last hurrah. It's such a fine line between keeping them going for your sake or because they're not done fighting yet. I don't know the answer. My DH thinks she was just having a bad night and that she'll be better today. I just want to do what is best for her.

If i remember right (and correct me if i'm wrong), Faye Oops was started on 300mg twice a day, which is a decent dose. Maybe try going down to 200mg, or even spread the total dose out over the day. Uncoordination is definatly one of the main side effects of gabapentin. I don't know what size capsules you have but they do make them (and they are cheaper) if you get them in 100mg capsules, it will be easier to adjust the dosage using the 100mg.

We only have the 300mg capsules of the Garapentin. They were cheap - $7 + change for 60 of them at Costco. In hindsight, it would have been better to request smaller capsules, but this is what the vet called in. I'm just not sure at this point if getting another script is the answer.

What good ideas for pills, some a lot less messy than the peanut butter we use! :) I might have to try fig newtons when travelling :)

With Dr. Couto telling me yesterday that there is evidence that greyhounds metabolize gabapentin quicker than other dogs, trying 100mg every 4 hours (if the schedule permits) might help. Of course this is presuming that the gabapentin is the culprit and that the gabapentin is helping the pain. Perhaps you can try taking her off the gabapentin and seeing how she does with the stumbling and falling. If she improves, then you know the gabapentin was causing the stumbling. Of course, if it was helping her pain, she may need additional pain killers. This is such a horrible, crappy, &(*^)% disease.

I am so sorry Faye Oops (one of the best names EVER) has to deal with this. I am sorry that you have so much work to deal with. As if dealing with osteo wasn't hard enough, it must be heartbreaking not to spend every minute with her.

edited to add: The doctors tried gabapentin with me (for my chronic illness). They told me it was important to start at a low dose and then gradually increase it -- this would prevent side affects. It took almost 6 weeks to get to the prescribed dosage and I still had a few problems with muscle twitching and lack of coordination. I know this slow increase isn't an option for our osteo pups, just thought I would pass on one experience from someone who can speak human.

edited again to add: no one has mentioned liverworst (braunsweiger). It is one of my favorites to hide pills in. My dogs all love liver.

Edited by joejoesmom

I just talked to DH. Both of us are at work, but Faye Oops is on our mind. We're going to schedule an appointment with our vet to send her to the bridge next Monday, November 21. She has only had one truly good day since Saturday. Yes, we can keep trying different mixes of drugs, but in our hearts we just feel like it's time. Let's face it - there is no cure - it's only going to get worse for her. We'd rather be a month too early than a month too late. We'd also rather have our preferred vet than having to scramble to find whomever is available when it gets really bad. I truly hope this doesn't sound matter-of-fact and heartless. DH and I are both very distressed and crying a lot. At least with a day/time set, we can just focus our energy on making Faye Oops last few days good ones. I think that is what she'd want.

Please - share some good stories about your dogs who are kicking osteos butt. They do make those of us who lost or are losing our greyhounds to this disease have some hope.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I just talked to DH. Both of us are at work, but Faye Oops is on our mind. We're going to schedule an appointment with our vet to send her to the bridge next Monday, November 21. She has only had one truly good day since Saturday. Yes, we can keep trying different mixes of drugs, but in our hearts we just feel like it's time. Let's face it - there is no cure - it's only going to get worse for her. We'd rather be a month too early than a month too late. We'd also rather have our preferred vet than having to scramble to find whomever is available when it gets really bad. I truly hope this doesn't sound matter-of-fact and heartless. DH and I are both very distressed and crying a lot. At least with a day/time set, we can just focus our energy on making Faye Oops last few days good ones. I think that is what she'd want.

Please - share some good stories about your dogs who are kicking osteos butt. They do make those of us who lost or are losing our greyhounds to this disease have some hope.

Oh Laura, I'm so very, very sad for you. I know how you feel and the place you are in right now as I was there on Monday and yesterday. You take that good day and hold onto it and pray there will be more, just one more. I know. And I'm sure no one thinks you sound matter-of-fact or heartless. Not at all. You love her with all your heart and this decision is a tough one. In your mind, you know it's right but your heart is telling you otherwise.

Matter-of-fact - maybe. Heartless - no way. The decision needs to be made, and it's best to make it when you're not overly emotional. But it's the most loving thing any owner can d for their suffering pup.

Dude may be gone, but I think about each of you every day.

Hugs to all. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Was just popping in, hoping for a Hurley update...

Will get some new videos of Pinky tonight - if I thought she would leave her staples alone and/or they wouldn't get caught on something, she could go without a bandage and would probably be much happier. The bandage she's got is pretty minimal, but it just doesn't stay put very well.

We had a good night sleeping in the bedroom. I had to help her situate herself a little bit, but, she only got up once around 2am to go potty. Once we came back inside she was right back in bed, situated herself, I covered her with a blanket, and we slept until 6:30 when I had to get up to get ready for work.

Laura, I'm so sorry that Faye Oops is having a tough time. Sometimes I almost feel bad for posting about how well Pinky is doing when there are so many that are having a tough time. We have been so very lucky and I hope our streak of luck continues, but I wish that we could pass some of that luck on to everyone else too.

Laura, I'm so sorry that Faye Oops is having a tough time. Sometimes I almost feel bad for posting about how well Pinky is doing when there are so many that are having a tough time. We have been so very lucky and I hope our streak of luck continues, but I wish that we could pass some of that luck on to everyone else too.

Please don't feel that way. Speaking for myself, I love hearing about the dogs who are doing well battling this awful disease. In a way, it makes up for the ones that don't make it.

ETA... Now that DH and I have reached an agreement to send Faye Oops to the Rainbow Bridge next Monday (hopefully not sooner), I feel like we can spend the next few days preparing by doing her favorite things, making her favorite meals and just loving on her.

Edited by winnie

This thread is such a mix of highs and lows. I'm so sad to hear of Hailey's passing and Faye Oops' struggles, but at the same time, so thrilled to see others doing well.

Sigh.

Hugs to all of you. :grouphug

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Please don't feel that way. Speaking for myself, I love hearing about the dogs who are doing well battling this awful disease. In a way, it makes up for the ones that don't make it.

ETA... Now that DH and I have reached an agreement to send Faye Oops to the Rainbow Bridge next Monday (hopefully not sooner), I feel like we can spend the next few days preparing by doing her favorite things, making her favorite meals and just loving on her.

I also hesitate about posting (or letting Joe post) good news. Thank you for letting me know that this is okay. I can't believe that you have the empathy during this emotional time to think of those who are thankfully having a better time of it.

Enjoy your plans with Faye Oops. I so clearly remember the last days I had with my Twistmas. I will treasure the memories forever.

Jane

Guest FreddyGirl

Christine,

Thank you for letting me know as I had missed this thread.

Another angel gets her wings.

Godspeed Hailey, watch over the family you left behind. They miss you terribly.

Run painfree sweet baby girl. :gh_run

Nancy

Hi folks -

I'm joining this thread to get support for me and for my foster Saluki, Clark. I've had Clark since early August. He would just fly around the yard and up onto the deck, barely touching a step as he seemed to float to where he wanted to be.

When I took him to the October Meet-and-Greet, he seemed to be favoring his left rear leg. He'd hold it up when he was standing, but would use it when walking or running. I left him for two weeks with a temporary foster home while I headed north to see my mom. When I came back to get him, I could clearly see that his ankle was swollen.

I took him in to see the vet, who took X-rays. We discussed the three possibilities (in descending order): cancer, bone infection, or old fracture. Because of the history with me, he didn't think fracture was a possibility. Since Clark had been on antibiotics for weeks for his skin, he was thinking probably not a bone infection (we did try another 2 weeks on clindamycin, and by the end his ankle was MORE swollen than ever, and he was in pain even though on tramadol and metacam). My vet felt that whether it was cancer or a bone infection that was unresponsive to antibiotics, amputation was the way to go.

Because he's a foster, the adoption group had to be on board with the treatment. They had thought about doing a biopsy, but the price of that added to the amputation was very high, and the vet explained to them what he had told me - regardless of the diagnosis, the treatment was the same.

So, Clark had his left rear leg amputated today. The vet who did the surgery called me about 45 minutes after the office closed (she was closing the incision when I called just at closing time). The surgery went well, Clark did well under anesthesia, and he was in recovery. There's a staff member in recovery with him, and she's spending the night to make sure all is well with him. Since the surgery was so late in the day, he may have to stay till Friday.

I've been reading the info at the links in the first post, and am frantic that I am not nearly ready for him to come home. I canceled my weekend plans, and have been rearranging furniture to set up an ex-pen for him (with a Perla bed because he seems to like them). There's a ramp to the outside, but the floors are all tile so I need to get some runners (I think I sold the ones I had at the garage sale before I moved - or, I stored them away someplace very safe!).

I was so not expecting this. Clark is very young, probably not even 2. He really hates my Greyhound pup Twister, and goes after him every chance he gets. I don't know why as he seems to get along with everyone else, and Twister is pretty submissive to Clark. <sigh> Just another complication that I'll have to deal with. I've been handling it by keeping Clark muzzled, but that just seems wrong with all he's going through.

Anyway, if you're still reading this, thanks for sticking with me through my story. I am so very grateful for those of you who have been down this path and still stay here to offer advice or hugs. Right now I need both.

Here's a photo of Clark taken while I was on vacation.

25.jpg

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Others will chime in with more comments, but let me welcome you to the club no one wants to join.

You'd probably need to muzzle Clark to keep him from licking his stitches, so you can kill two birds with one stone, protecting Twister from Clark and Clark from himself. Don't feel guilty about doing what you need to do to protect your boys. Sometimes, cancer gives you a whole new set of priorities.

See if you can find a Goodwill or Salvation Army or other second-hand/used-goods store. Sometimes you can use old, rubber-backed bathmats as runners, and just cut them to fit where you need them.

Clark is adorable.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I also hesitate about posting (or letting Joe post) good news. Thank you for letting me know that this is okay. I can't believe that you have the empathy during this emotional time to think of those who are thankfully having a better time of it.

Enjoy your plans with Faye Oops. I so clearly remember the last days I had with my Twistmas. I will treasure the memories forever.

Jane

I too love hearing the stories about the dogs that can fight this awful disease. I felt so powerless because of the location of Hailey's tumor. I tried everything I could, which wasn't much. I LOVED Joe's post! That made me so happy to read so please, don't hesitate. This thread is for all of us, right? If I didn't want to read it, I wouldn't come on. I even came on last night. It gave me comfort.