Osteo Thread

I've found they usually wait until the dog is awake and they have something to tell you. Meanwhile I'm walking the floor.

Hugs

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Less just called - my girl is a CHAMPION. Had a great surgery, minimal blood loss. He told me as he was preparing for her surgery that it crossed his mind - here is this dog, on a minimal dose of Deramaxx is running and playing with all 4 legs...are we doing the right thing? Then he looked at the xray again - yes, yes we are. This just affirms his belief that we've caught it so very early. The pathology on the bone will take a couple of weeks and he said he is as anxious to get the path back as I am. Everyone at the clinic is already in love with her :heart

She is resting comfortably and will raise her head up if someone comes by to talk to her, but then she puts her head down and goes back to sleeping.

She's got a Fentanyl patch, we'll gauge how heavily it's affecting her and may need to peel it back a little bit to lighten the dosage.

My mom and I will be there at 6pm tonight to see her, possibly feed her, and transport her to the emergency center for the evening so she'll be monitored. Then tomorrow morning we'll pick her up and get her back to Dr. Less for the day. If she's able to get up and get around, she can come home tomorrow night.

I really would be 10 times more cuckoo crazy without your support - thank you all SO much. I know that the coming weeks are going to be rough and I'll have a million questions, but the great part about that is, I have somewhere to go to ask those questions :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We could use some super prayers...Dr. Less just called and said that she is bleeding a little more than they would like right now. He wants to avoid having to put her back under and go back in, but will do so if he feels it's warranted. Right now she is going to have a plasma transfusion - recommended by Dr. Marin at OSU.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

My head is just swimming...I am going to take a shower and try to relax until I can go over to see her. I'm wondering if getting a little bit of food in her belly will help too - poor girl hasn't eaten since 6pm last night!

Fingers crossed for Pinky....I really hope your vet can get the bleeding under control quickly. The food I would bring would be something you know she really really likes as it's very likely her appetite will not be great but you never know.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Doe he have some Amicar on hand? It helps control the post op bleeding.

:yay Pinky!!!! :yay

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We had a script for amicar filled several days ago...instructions from OSU were to start the morning of surgery. So, she had one dose before she went in, another at 3, and will have another later. We're sitting in the waiting room at the emergency center right now while they get her settled. Transport went well-she is pretty well drugged, but, she was ornery enough to "talk" to me when I "talked" to her. :wub:

We're going to see if she will drink some water and maybe eat something before we go home. :goodluck

Guest azlorenz

We had a script for amicar filled several days ago...instructions from OSU were to start the morning of surgery. So, she had one dose before she went in, another at 3, and will have another later. We're sitting in the waiting room at the emergency center right now while they get her settled. Transport went well-she is pretty well drugged, but, she was ornery enough to "talk" to me when I "talked" to her. :wub:

We're going to see if she will drink some water and maybe eat something before we go home. :goodluck

Sending warm positive wishes for both you and Pinky. Will be thinking of you both during the next few days.

I'll continue to update on Pinky in the separate thread so as not to be hijacking this one with a billion updates a day :blush

I just really really really hope she can come home tomorrow. I know it will be a challenge to be her nurse, but, I think we'll be ok :nod

Those of you with larger packs-any tips for me? I've got an ex-pen set up in the living room for her, and she can be in my office with me during the day with the others gated away from us.

I'm planning to sleep on the air mattress in the living room...I kind of want her closer and more easily accessible to me when I'm sleeping than she will be in the ex-pen...bad idea to set her up either in the bed with me, or set her bed up directly next to the air mattress so I can reach out and pet her if she needs calming? What worked best for you?

Adding that overnight, the iggies sleep in soft sided crates and the rest of the big kids could be gated out of the living room so it's just me and Pinky out there.

Guest azlorenz

We had 2 other grey girls when Flash had his amp. We gated off the sitting room off of our bedroom and slept in there with him. We just had dog beds and blankets on the floor. He preferred egg crate beds because the fluffier types seemed to trip him up. The girls would lay on the other side of the gate at night trying to be close to us. A few days out from surgery we began to let them in to visit for a few minutes at a time. Once they smelled him all over and figured out it was still Flash, they really paid little attention. He was ready to get out of the ex-pen and have the run of his house again far earlier than we were.

Big fluffy beds seem to eb a problem. Harder foam is better. The fluffiness get's their legs tangled, plus they're not too steady right at first.

Though be ready for HER to be ready to do everything much sooner than you are! My biggest problem was keeping Dude quiet after the first day or two. The first thing he did when we got him home was run an lap around the yard and do a big poop. He was in the hospital from Monday (surgery) and came home Thursday.

Go Pinky!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Pinky is coming home at lunchtime :yay She is eating and wants to be up and getting around. She's not happy being in a kennel and whines until someone comes over to pet her :lol

I worked from home the first week Diamond was home. I didn't xpen or crate anyone. After all she was 12, as was her sister and one of the other two was 14. So, the old biddies weren't going to be interested in fighting or rough housing. I made sure that Diamond had no trouble with the dog door or doing her ramp. After 2 weeks I was completely comfortable with her getting around and doing the ramp instead of stairs. The other three didn't see to have a problem with her either.

Dima's always slept in the corner bed in my bedroom, so that didn't change. And I'm a super light sleeper so everytime someone moved I was awake. We had no incidences. (other than Dima taking a flying leap off the top of the stairs the first night home :yikes . That's when she decided the ramp was much easier.

Pinky is home and resting. She has quite a bit of bruising and some swelling (fluid retention + bruising) on her remaining rear leg. I'm posting pictures down below so scroll on by them if you're squeamish, they are slightly graphic but not too bad - she is still wrapped up. She has also got some fluid retention and bruising on her right side on her chest (she has been laying primarily on her right side - when she flipped to her left after surgery that's when she had the bleeding issue).

Dr. Less mentioned massaging it or walking her to get the swelling to go down in the leg, but, BECAUSE it's swollen, it's hard for her to walk. I have massaged it and that seems to have helped a little bit - but would a warm or cold compress help? Not sure which would be better. Any idea if I can put anything on her chest to help it?

She is on Amicar and just had another dose and the bruising is still bad, poor punky :(

7c9ee53c.jpg

Chest:

031f4bfe.jpg

Leg:

23b36c97.jpg

And just a pic of her sweet face:

fb2ac5e0.jpg

Poor little Pinky. She will get better soon. If I recall, we applied a cold compress (bag of frozen peas) on Charlie's swelling/bruising and he seemed to like it.

I love the pic of Pinky's face. She is such a sweetie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Has anyone used Arnica gel for bruising after amp? I think it works miracles for small bruises, but no idea if it would be contra-indicated for some reason here. That is a lot of bruising. I was told warm compresses when Neyla had some fluid retention, but again, I don't know anything about amp recovery in particular.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our amputee's usually had the swollen legs from not walking around. As they got up and walked more the swelling went down. I used a warm wash cloth as a hot compress. It really helped

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Warm compress to help with the swelling. Walking and moving around really is the best way to help with it. It's hard and awkward at first, but it will get better. As will the bruising. Dude's was that bad or worse and it took four or five days after he was home (so more like 10 days post surgery) for it to resolve. I probably wouldn't use the arnica gel in this case, but have no information to back that feeling up.

Yeah Pinky!!!!!!

I have given up on getting any sort of work done and we've been resting on the air mattress in the living room :) I'm tired too!

My biggest worry is that she'll bump it or something and get it bleeding again. We go for a bandage change on Thursday...sooner if it is needed.

There are certain magic words that usually get all of the dogs up and moving. I said "come on" earlier to the rest of the dogs and Pinky jerked up and tried to get out of bed. I opened the cupboard where the cookies are kept and she tried to get up. She cries every time and kind of lays back down, defeated, until I encourage her to get up.

I really don't think she has really slept at all while she was away, poor kid.

Baby girl :wub: . Sending best wishes that she heals quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good advice from everyone. I just wanted to add that it might be best for Pinky to have a separate bed next to your air mattress. You wouldn't want to roll over and touch her while she's sleeping. She is probably feeling vulnerable and also in pain. I just wouldn't want you to get hurt if she reacted by snapping at you (which would be totally understandable given the circumstances).

Jane

Her bruising and swelling doesn't look that bad to me. I would expect the bruising to spread out more and turn a deeper shade before it starts to fade. Twiggy's bruising lasted about 2 weeks if I recall correctly.

It doesn't surprise me that she is crying out and reluctant to get up. Aside from being stiff from the swelling, she's learning a whole new way of getting around. Also, this is still really early in her recovery.

Seems like she is doing fantastic to me! (and I completely understand your exhausted feeling, I hope you get some good rest).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties