Osteo Thread

I agree with Kyle that biopsy is more invasive, very painful, and can further weaken a bone already compromised by osteo (if that's what it is). It seems like most "regular" vets recommend biopsy because they recommend this for most other suspected cancers. They don't usually deal much with osteosarcoma, because amputation is a surgery that most general practice clinics aren't equipped to do, and the chemo used with osteo is pretty heavy-duty stuff (especially doxorubicin), which you don't want someone administering that isn't very well-versed in it. Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirate is a better option (provided it is done by a skilled practitioner).

I don't know much about using chemo with pamidronate. I *think* that it would be different dosages and schedules because not only would you be trying to manage the microscopic mets that may have spread prior to removing the main source of the cancer, you would be trying to manage the whole tumor that continues to grow and constantly throws off mets. I'm also not sure if OSU would provide it for this use - it isn't the typical "standard of care" that is used for osteo.

One thing you may not have considered is leg-sparing surgery, and I'm not even sure it is viable for a rear-leg tumor. It is a little past the experimental stage in dogs, I think, but there aren't many surgeons that do it. Basically, they cut out the section of bone that is involved and graft in donor bone (or sometimes use an autograft). I think, though, that it is primarily (and maybe only) recommended for tumors of the distal radius (front wrist). I considered this, but because there is a very high failure rate (resulting in needing to amputate the leg anyway), I chose not to. That would also have to be done in conjunction with chemo to have a longer median survival rate than palliative care.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by saying this but, I'm guessing that you got an email or phone call telling you of a vet's dog who was put on pamidronate and lived a happy and healthy 18 months before the osteo advanced and the dog was put to sleep. I got this email, and it nearly changed my mind. I thought that if I could get the same or better survival length with 4 legs and no surgery trauma, that would be perfect. Unfortunately, this isn't a typical outcome. It is certainly possible that this would happen, as it is possible to achieve complete cure of osteo from amputation, but both are 1 in a thousand or worse chances. I'm not saying it is a bad option, but 18 months is the very outside of outcomes - median survival times range I think from about 3-6 months using pamidronate (my memory on this is fading, though).

Of course, it is easy to try to think about this in terms of time (and I realize I talked a lot about time above), but there are no guarantees of time (short OR long) for any treatment option. It really is about what will be best suited in terms of quality of life for Hurley and your family.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pinky's case, her cancer is in the left rear leg. The day she started limping, she still found a way to run in the yard-she just picked up the bad leg and went. That's how I know that she won't miss that leg at all. She is just 8 years old and in good health otherwise, and it seems we've caught this early. So, if it has to be osteo, we're looking at the "best case scenario." It is always a crapshoot, but we are going to hope for the best and do everything we can to beat this monster.

It sounds like Pinky and Hurley are VERY similar!! He is 8.5 years old, VIVACIOUS and has the lesion in his left hind (tibia) leg!! I so want to get on with this treatment, whatever we ultimately decide...it is scary having to wait for our oncologist to return to town. may I ask if you are doing the amputation at Ohio or locally? Oh, and Hurley was able to trot with his bad leg held up easily too!!!!! He figured it out very quickly.

I agree with Kyle that biopsy is more invasive, very painful, and can further weaken a bone already compromised by osteo (if that's what it is). Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirate is a better option (provided it is done by a skilled practitioner).

I don't know much about using chemo with pamidronate. I'm also not sure if OSU would provide it for this use - it isn't the typical "standard of care" that is used for osteo.

One thing you may not have considered is leg-sparing surgery.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by saying this but, I'm guessing that you got an email or phone call telling you of a vet's dog who was put on pamidronate and lived a happy and healthy 18 months before the osteo advanced and the dog was put to sleep. I got this email, and it nearly changed my mind. I thought that if I could get the same or better survival length with 4 legs and no surgery trauma, that would be perfect. Unfortunately, this isn't a typical outcome. It is certainly possible that this would happen, as it is possible to achieve complete cure of osteo from amputation, but both are 1 in a thousand or worse chances. I'm not saying it is a bad option, but 18 months is the very outside of outcomes - median survival times range I think from about 3-6 months using pamidronate (my memory on this is fading, though).

Of course, it is easy to try to think about this in terms of time (and I realize I talked a lot about time above), but there are no guarantees of time (short OR long) for any treatment option. It really is about what will be best suited in terms of quality of life for Hurley and your family.

I still agree that biopsy is unnecessary so it will be easier to speak about this with the oncologist than just have her email me directions. Actually, I will clearly state in my next email that I am unwilling to do it, other than a FNA but I would like to do blood tests or anything else we can get done BEFORE she gets back Tuesday.

I will email OSU about the Chemo if we do the pamidronate.

Leg sparing was discussed but Dr R said it was not proven to be successful and was too expensive and, in effect, would not be performed by her.

Actually, the posts about the extreme expense even after amputation is all done (followup xrays and bloodwork while doing chemo and how difficult and we would feel each time we wait) and the actual care required and emotional response from the amputee for up to 2-3 weeks while my husband and I are away at work (earning money so we can continue to pay bills) sometimes for as many as 8.5 hours (or as little as 5.5 hours) scares the bejeesus out of me!! No one has pushed any opinions on us and I now feel better about my decision NOT to post on facebook yet...I can just imagine the outpouring of past experiences and attempts of sympathy that are truly unnecessary because we are not ready to feel sad yet.

All I CAN say is my husband and I agree to disagree right now because we both are going to choose between pamidronate and amputation. I am sorry if I sound like a broken record (only because I may be sorry to bring you, the reader, a sigh of despair but not sorry enough to feel I have to apologize for our right to make our decision on our own with our oncologist and with Hurley in mind) but that is it in a nutshell. We are fighting against time. If what she said is true, the tumor can double in size in 3 days. His leg is also swelling more now. Does that mean it is exponentially growing? I shudder to think. In a way, i want to rush him onto the O.R. table and get it done, damn be the consequences if he doesn't have everything ready (like Amicar)...but that is foolish thinking and totally unrealistic. I can't think in that mindset. Jim is my other half. He wants to push for pamidronate so we have a real choice that may not EXTEND his life but may spare him from a 2-3 week recovery time from a very, very difficult surgery to bounce back from. That could be enough to allow him to have a peaceful time and quality of life. I totally see why people do that. I know we are all supportive of each other and I respect that...no one needs to persuade anyone else to see things their way. The final decision just needs to be directly stated. That's where I am right now.

Hurley was carried up (and down from) our upstairs bedroom last night and was our honored guest in the bed. I feel a little closer to him again from having had that time. :) Thanks again for being part of this group, everyone!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

In Pinky's case, her cancer is in the left rear leg. The day she started limping, she still found a way to run in the yard-she just picked up the bad leg and went. That's how I know that she won't miss that leg at all. She is just 8 years old and in good health otherwise, and it seems we've caught this early. So, if it has to be osteo, we're looking at the "best case scenario." It is always a crapshoot, but we are going to hope for the best and do everything we can to beat this monster.

It sounds like Pinky and Hurley are VERY similar!! He is 8.5 years old, VIVACIOUS and has the lesion in his left hind (tibia) leg!! I so want to get on with this treatment, whatever we ultimately decide...it is scary having to wait for our oncologist to return to town. may I ask if you are doing the amputation at Ohio or locally? Oh, and Hurley was able to trot with his bad leg held up easily too!!!!! He figured it out very quickly.

I agree with Kyle that biopsy is more invasive, very painful, and can further weaken a bone already compromised by osteo (if that's what it is). Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirate is a better option (provided it is done by a skilled practitioner).

I don't know much about using chemo with pamidronate. I'm also not sure if OSU would provide it for this use - it isn't the typical "standard of care" that is used for osteo.

One thing you may not have considered is leg-sparing surgery.

I still agree that biopsy is unnecessary so it will be easier to speak about this with the oncologist than just have her email me directions. Actually, I will clearly state in my next email that I am unwilling to do it, other than a FNA but I would like to do blood tests or anything else we can get done BEFORE she gets back Tuesday.

I will email OSU about the Chemo if we do the pamidronate.

Leg sparing was discussed but Dr R said it was not proven to be successful and was too expensive and, in effect, would not be performed by her.

Actually, the posts about the extreme expense even after amputation is all done (followup xrays and bloodwork while doing chemo and how difficult and we would feel each time we wait) and the actual care required and emotional response from the amputee for up to 2-3 weeks while my husband and I are away at work (earning money so we can continue to pay bills) sometimes for as many as 8.5 hours (or as little as 5.5 hours) scares the bejeesus out of me!! No one has pushed any opinions on us and I now feel better about my decision NOT to post on facebook yet...I can just imagine the outpouring of past experiences and attempts of sympathy that are truly unnecessary because we are not ready to feel sad yet.

All I CAN say is my husband and I agree to disagree right now because we both are going to choose between pamidronate and amputation. I am sorry if I sound like a broken record (only because I may be sorry to bring you, the reader, a sigh of despair but not sorry enough to feel I have to apologize for our right to make our decision on our own with our oncologist and with Hurley in mind) but that is it in a nutshell. We are fighting against time. If what she said is true, the tumor can double in size in 3 days. His leg is also swelling more now. Does that mean it is exponentially growing? I shudder to think. In a way, i want to rush him onto the O.R. table and get it done, damn be the consequences if he doesn't have everything ready (like Amicar)...but that is foolish thinking and totally unrealistic. I can't think in that mindset. Jim is my other half. He wants to push for pamidronate so we have a real choice that may not EXTEND his life but may spare him from a 2-3 week recovery time from a very, very difficult surgery to bounce back from. That could be enough to allow him to have a peaceful time and quality of life. I totally see why people do that. I know we are all supportive of each other and I respect that...no one needs to persuade anyone else to see things their way. The final decision just needs to be directly stated. That's where I am right now.

Hurley was carried up (and down from) our upstairs bedroom last night and was our honored guest in the bed. I feel a little closer to him again from having had that time. :) Thanks again for being part of this group, everyone!

I am so sorry that you are facing this. I live in Columbus and help people who come to OSU with their greyhounds. Unfortunately I do not know if OSU provides chemo for osteo greys who do not undergo amputation. I do know that I, personally, have not heard of OSU recommending a combo of pamidronate and chemo (I have been involved in about 50 osteo consults). However, that does not mean that they don't suggest it for specific cases. They often recommend amputation/chemo for a grey who can handle being 3 legged and has no lung mets (median time of survival of 14 months). For cases where this is not an option (health of the grey, financial concerns, etc), I have heard them recommend radiation alone; pamidronate alone; radiation and pamidronate; or just pain management. I do not know the median survival times for radiation and/or pamidronate. I do know they quote between 6 and 12 weeks for pain management alone. Since pain is the typical reason greys are put to sleep if amputation isn't performed, I would assume that radiation and/or pamidronate would tend to delay this. My guess is that it wouldn't increase the median survival time more than a few months at most. However, this is just a general feeling I have based on anecdotal evidence from greytalk and other readings I have done. OSU and your oncologist would be the ones I would listen to.

Just because there are greys that have gone 5 years post amputation and 18 months without amputation doesn't mean you should expect this. This is a truly crappy disease with poor prognosis. I hate it with a passion.

Jane

edited to add my personal experience with osteo: My Joe was diagnosed on Monday, July 26, 2010. He had just turned 7. I opted for amputation, followed by chemo. OSU did the amputation on Wednesday, July 28. Because of some complications, Joe did not come home for a week. He ended up in their highest level of ICU (unusual post amp) and was on monitors 24/7. This cost about double the normal charges. Normal charges are $3000 to $3500 for an amp and a 3 to 5 day stay.

When he came home, he was able to jump in and out of the car, go up and down the 3 steps to get in and out of my house, and to get up from a laying position on his own. He developed a UTI (he had to have a foley catheter due to his complications) and we had some indoor pee incidents. I elected to stay home with him for another week, but he probably would have been okay confined in a crate if I had to go to work (except for the peeing). I would have wanted for someone to come in at lunch to let him out and give him pain meds. The first week was rough because he was in pain. Afterwards, he amazed me with his improvement.

We are now 15 months post amputation and Joe is a very happy dog. Obviously, I am very pleased that I chose amputation. Unfortunately, many of the Greytalk dogs that were diagnosed around the same time have died from osteo. The only surviving dogs that I am aware of all had amputation and chemo. So based on this, I will admit that if cost and the dogs health is not a problem, I believe in amputation.

That being said, a dog does not have any concept of their time left on this planet. They really can't conceive of whether they will live for another month or another year. They live in the moment and care about the quality of that moment. So, in a way, doing aggressive treatment is as much (if not more) for the human as for the dog. I just urge that those who do not choose amputation to remove the pain, recognize that dogs are very good at hiding their pain. Humans have described how horrible osteo pain is -- recognize this, and provide ample pain meds and euthanasia before the dog suffers unduly.

Edited by joejoesmom

Thanks snakes and Tricia. We're following our vet's instructions and have no hesitations about calling her to ask questions. Our vet told me earlier this week that palliative care is the absolute right choice in Faye Oops case due to the location of the osteo, her age and build. I just can't bring myself to dive into all the research, options, etc. right now. It was just so hard seeing Faye Oops distressed the other night. Other than that one night, she continues to have good days. I don't know how many more that we'll have. I just want our girl to be happy and comfortable. I hope that we'll know when it's time to send her to the Rainbow Bridge. I don't want my girl to suffer.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Pinky is having her surgery locally. We are very lucky to have an orthopedic surgeon who has reached diplomate status (according to literature I read, there are only about 900 doctors that are currently carrying that status). There is also an oncology diplomate at the clinic. Our surgeon follows OSU protocols and has consulted with Dr. Couto on many other cases.

Amputation and chemo is my choice because she has so much more life to enjoy. She's a goober, the clown of the house. She's only 8 and is very determined in everything she does. The pamidronate was a good choice for Sutra because he wasn't a candidate for amputation. He had 3 or 4 infusions before we stopped because the oncologist was concerned about his slightly elevated kidney numbers. As I said, he made it 6 months after being diagnosed. They were wonderful months, but I still find myself wishing he'd have been strong enough physically to be a candidate for surgery. He was such a miracle dog in every other way-I think he would have kicked the cancer's ass.

I have hope that Pinky's story will go on for a long time, not only to increase her time here, but to give a big fat middle finger to osteo on behalf of Sutra and all of the other pups here who were taken too soon. This is war, and we are ready!

My house has been cleaned top to bottom. There's a nice open area with blankets for her to rest on in my office so she can be with me while I work, and I've got an ex-pen set up in the living room for when we're out here.

I'll be dropping her off Monday morning between 7:30 and 8 am. I'm sure I'll break down once I hand her off and kiss her "goodbye for now", but until then, I am stone-faced and there is nothing wrong here. I will see her Monday night when I transport her to the ER for the night, and I'll see her Tuesday morning to get her back to the surgeon. We will get through this!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I hope all goes well with Pinky. Amputation wasn't really an option for us, but it sounds like the right choice for Pinky. I really hope that she gives osteo one huge kick in the ass for all of our pups.

If what she said is true, the tumor can double in size in 3 days. His leg is also swelling more now.

My totally non-medical experience - I think when the leg is starting to swell noticeably you are in the stage of the disease where the progression is much faster. Like I said, no medical basis for this, just based on my observations over the past year and a half watching so many people go through it and going through it myself, there seems to be a period (a potentially quite lengthy one) where the tumor's progression is slow. Limping may be intermittent or non-existent, radiographs may show something suspicious or very little/something easily overlooked. At some point, the cancer starts to progress faster and then seemingly exponentially, swelling is much more noticeable and pain becomes much harder to manage.

I believe that the mean survival times for palliative care tend toward this timeframe because so many dogs go undiagnosed until they reach this stage. Now, at least here on Greytalk we're seeing more and more dogs live months and months relatively pain free with only palliative care. Some of that is likely due to newer treatments like IV pamidronate, but I think a large part of it is earlier diagnosis.

Again, this is all just my uneducated hypothesis.

For what it's worth, my oncologist told me about 2 months with pain meds only, another 2 months with radiation, another 2 months with pamidronate as projected survival times. That was back in June of last year though so there may be better information now. It might be worth checking Pubmed for new studies on pamidronate. There were only a few when I chose it in November of last year, but there may be newer ones now. You can get hte abstracts for free.

I'm curious who recommended chemo+pamidronate and why. There is some evidence that pamidronate can effect the tumor's progression, and may help rebuild bone that has been destroyed by the lesion, but my understanding is that it wouldn't be sufficient to counter the tumor's progression at least in later stages. I don't see the sense in chemo if you're still dealing with a primary tumor. It's pretty much unheard of for a dog who has not undergone the amputation to remove the primary tumor to be put to sleep due to mets, it's inevitably due to the pain from the primary tumor. But maybe there is new research I'm unaware of? If there is, I'd really be interested in reading about it if you can share a resource.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Many people assume amputation is really a horrible thing to put a dog through because they've never actually met an amputee. One of the things I feel most proud of was that Dude managed to be a great ambassadog for tripods while he was with us. We went out and did things with him, and answered lots of questions. I know our onco mentioned a couple times that she was glad Dude was in the clinic when she was talking to new patients, as he was a great advertisement for aggressive treatment. He was SO positive and SO outgoing and SO not like anyone's preconception of a tripod!

You go Twiggy and Pinky!!!!!!

There's also the recovery from the amputation and the possibility that the dog could pass during surgery. It is a difficult surgery and recovery, especially for dogs who develop infections and need to have additional tissue removed, and while it doesn't seem to happen all that often, there are people who have lost their dogs in surgery.

Not saying at all that it's a horrible thing, just giving a few other considerations.

I will say that after having been part of this thread for so long, and having gone through the palliative route, I would consider amputation with certain caveats, which I probably wouldn't have said before Neyla was diagnosed. And part of that evolution is all of the wonderful ambassadogs in these threads, including Dude. :):wub:

Kristin, I hope Pinky's surgery goes well on Monday. :goodluck Sounds like you've done everything you can to get ready.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Has anyone ever tried Back on Track products? I have with my horse when she tore her check ligament. It seemed to help. My friend Debby works at Equestrian Collections and alerted me to a Back On Track Regular Therapeutic Greyhound Dog Blanket. I figured I'd try it out for Faye Oops.

If you ever need anything from Equestrian Collections - ask for Debby and tell her you know Laura. She'll help you out and let you know of any promo codes, etc.

It is weird to think that tomorrow will be the last full day that Pinky has 4 legs. Also seems weird that she is using all 4 at the moment. We know the beast is lurking though...ugh.

I have nothing on my docket tomorrow except enjoying time with the pups :) In the past two weeks Pinky has become very lovey...not sure if it's due to increased attention on my part, or if she sort of understands there's something wrong and is seeking comfort from me.

She will have a bath tomorrow afternoon. And so it begins...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Many good thoughts for Pinky in her journey to kick this sarcoma into a coma!!

I have another snafu if I decide to amputate: the oncologist who comes back Tuesday does not have a surgeon available and we will have to find one on our own. This is something we could have been researching before it turned into a Sunday and we are sort of left with our hands tied!!!! Why in the world would she not mention this until now? :angryfire

So, if his leg is swelling, we may too late anyway....or is it all the delays from our oncologist that slowed us down? I know it's not her fault but I feel like our options are fading. Someone told me they were glad we are on top of the ball....I think we might have just slipped underneath it. Had I known she wasn't going to be able to arrange everything, I would have been calling and searching. Perhaps I can make contact with another hospital today anyway?

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Many good thoughts for Pinky in her journey to kick this sarcoma into a coma!!

I have another snafu if I decide to amputate: the oncologist who comes back Tuesday does not have a surgeon available and we will have to find one on our own. This is something we could have been researching before it turned into a Sunday and we are sort of left with our hands tied!!!! Why in the world would she not mention this until now? :angryfire

So, if his leg is swelling, we may too late anyway....or is it all the delays from our oncologist that slowed us down? I know it's not her fault but I feel like our options are fading. Someone told me they were glad we are on top of the ball....I think we might have just slipped underneath it. Had I known she wasn't going to be able to arrange everything, I would have been calling and searching. Perhaps I can make contact with another hospital today anyway?

I'm sorry your vet left you in something of a lurch. As far as timing, sooner is always better, but the sad truth is that its uncommon for amp to be curative so the motivation to do it is primarily to remove pain. If you're not comfortable with doing it knowing that the cancer could come back a few months later (although it could also be much longer) then you might reconsider. One if the most unfortunate things about this disease is the unpredictable nature of it, you'll often hear people here say its a crapshoot. It's also a very painful disease so for many even if you only get a few months, the fact that you know those few months are pain free is worth it.

Are you too far from OSU?

Amputation is not curative. By the time the cancer "shows up" somewhere, it's cells already throughout the body. Taking the leg and the primary tumor will only help with pain management, and "could" buy you several to many months of good quality time. Or not. Make sure you have new chest xrays done before you get much further - if his tumor is growing, the cancer could have already metasticized elsewhere.

Check for a full service emergency hospital, or specialty hospital in your area. If you're at all within driving distance of OSU it might be worth it to have the surgery done there.

GOOD LUCK PINKY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Perhaps I can make contact with another hospital today anyway?

Is UW Madison too far for you? I was surprised at how quickly I could get an appointment there (altho we didn't have major surgery so I don't know about that).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Since I ended on a bad note in my last post, I just wanted to clean up my mess, if you will. I should not be taking out my frustration on your thread and I do feel that I could be hijacking it slightly. That being said, my main concern was that if his leg is swelling and the tumor is growing, it may be spreading as well to the lungs or who knows where. Someone provided the info that they went 9 days between diagnosis and amputation. I don't know if that is feasible in every case. New xrays would be needed for Hurley. I have heard of the gap being much less too....like within a day or two of diagnosis to the O.R. I could care less, of course, if the tumor raged on inside his leg IF we could cleanly remove the leg and be done with it, but it doesn't seem anywhere near likely. This is truly a cruel disease and that is exactly why we are facing the limited options and short decision times. I always like to end my posts with hope and strength because I want to be able to show that my husband and I are exactly that....but it is me that posts here and gets the extra info and inside looks at other owner's lives. He has not even looked up the info on the internet, which I find odd because if the subject were history or politics or what have you, HE is all over the internet. But with the dogs, he gets his information from me or the vet, person to person. So, the breakdowns witnessed here are just me or me dealing with his newest method of decision-making. Unfortunately, we will lose our pet but we have the knowledge of this and can do what we can to make his life a good one. He is 8.5, we would not expect him to see the age of 12 even if he was healthy. We would hope for 10 or over. So if he makes it another year or year and a half, he'll get there. If not, then he still lived a pretty sweet life. I have been ignoring the inevitable and focusing on the decision at hand but Jim drew it out for me...he is the one thinking of the endgame now. We were even talking about the seasons and how if he makes it another year, we have him all summer 2012...we would love that!! That would be our goal. Beyond that is beyond that. I hope I am not upsetting anyone else here, just glad to have a place to plot out my thoughts and get some help from others in the same proverbial boat. i just went through losing my dad in January to lymphoma...that cancer was no kinder at the end. I only wish we had euthanasia as an option for people in his situation, his last days were drugs and hospice care to care for his body. My dad and I were not very close in past years and I didn't get a great conversation or breakthrough in our relationship with him before he was too doped up to even speak but I was THERE. It is so different with Hurley, he is someone I see EVERYDAY and love so much, but he isn't a person, he is an innocent and compassionate dog, the best dog I could ever wish for. And I have that closure time with Hurley, for that I am greytful. :)

The GO PINKY!!!!!!!!! still stands because I am so excited that she is getting this chance!!!!!

ETA: We don't feel that OSU or UW-Madison are close enough for us. We won't be taking much time off work, just the minimum, and would prefer to get it done closer to home. The AEC should have recommendations for us but they aren't answering their phones right now with it being a busy Sunday. I also searched for board-certified vets and NONE came up inside Milwaukee, which i think is unbelievable but there are a few in Port Washington and Waukesha. The hunt continues!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Siggy4.jpg

We are about 3 hours away from you being in the Quad Cities.

Search for VCA BERWYN animal hospital in Berwyn, IL (Chicagoland). They have an AWESOME orthopedist there-Dr. Turner. The man is a true artist of his craft. He has fixed broken legs for us that other vets told us could not be repaired...I am sure he would be fabulous, should you decide on amputation for Hurley.

Pinky was diagnosed October 22nd so it has been a couple of weeks for us. If I'd had a say, she'd have been in the OR last Wednesday, but, our orthopedist had to be out of town.

If his leg is swelling, I'd be worried, unfortunately. Sutra's leg started swelling as things started to progress exponentially, as Jen (Neylasmom) mentioned earlier. From the outside you couldn't see anything until we were about 5 months in. I'm no expert of course, so maybe swelling is not always an indicator of tumor stage.

I have a random question-when Pinky was hurting, she just held her leg up and ran anyway. I'm wondering how much of a factor it is that she was able to move so easily...meaning, does the bad leg, while not being used, provide some counterweight that makes using just one leg easier? Will the coming absence of that leg throw off her balance at first?

I really truly hate this disease. One of my old fosters fractured her leg on Friday without any prior indication she had osteo (she was chasing her brother around and playing the day before). Her owners had to let her go yesterday. :cry1 She was a special foster to me for many reasons, I may post a thread in remembrance for her although that seems a bit strange given that I still haven't been able to write Neyla's. :(

Johanna, there's absolutely no need to apologize for anything here. We've all been there (or will be there) and here is the place to vent, think out loud, cry, and even hope for the best.

We can't make this decision for you. We can only offer our experience and information to - perhaps - help make that decision a little easier. Or at least more informed.

You will do what's best for you and your family and Hurley. We know that. And we're all behind you, whatever that decision is.

Hugs

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, there are certainly no apologies necessary here. This is a place to think out loud, cry, vent, whatever you need.

There is no cookie cutter answer for this disease. There are so many factors involved that only you, the person who knows Hurley best, can make any sort of a decision. But we are happy to share our experiences and share what factors led to our individual decisions. This isn't a place for judgement, so let it fly! I've found that just being able to spew my thoughts out somewhere helped me think things through.

I am back home and am doing my online training for work. It's a nice distraction. I broke down and cried as I was hugging Pinky just before they took her back. She should be the first surgery of the day. While we were waiting to check in, a standard poodle was brought in from the emergency room with a possible hip fracture. The gals at the front desk weren't sure if Pinky would be bumped while Dr. Less dealt with the hip fracture or not. That's ok with me. Selfishly I'd love for her to be the first surgery of the day so she can be recovering while he does other things, but, if the poodle were mine I'd hope that she got to be the first of the day, so either way it'll be ok. She said I should hear from him by noon today if not before, and told me to call if I hadn't heard anything by then and they'd get me an update.

:goodluck for Pinky today

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I am back home and am doing my online training for work. It's a nice distraction. I broke down and cried as I was hugging Pinky just before they took her back. She should be the first surgery of the day. While we were waiting to check in, a standard poodle was brought in from the emergency room with a possible hip fracture. The gals at the front desk weren't sure if Pinky would be bumped while Dr. Less dealt with the hip fracture or not. That's ok with me. Selfishly I'd love for her to be the first surgery of the day so she can be recovering while he does other things, but, if the poodle were mine I'd hope that she got to be the first of the day, so either way it'll be ok. She said I should hear from him by noon today if not before, and told me to call if I hadn't heard anything by then and they'd get me an update.

Thinking of you and Pinky today! Keep us posted. :grouphug

Haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully soon. I'm wondering if he decided to operate on the poodle first. I'll call them if I haven't heard anything by 12:15 central.