Osteo Thread

:nod I agree with the above. Could be that she just needed the right med combo.

Here's a Pinky pic from tonight:

b000c469.jpg

My mom has been absolutely the best through all of this-she helped me transport Pinky, and stayed with her last week when I had to go back to work. I wanted to get her something to show our appreciation. I saw some BEAUTIFUL purple and gold poinsettias today so I think we'll get her one of those tomorrow...I got her a card tonight and teared up when I read the right one. Without my mom, none of this would have been possible. I am so incredibly grateful to her :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just don't know what to do. Do we go forward with the appointment on Monday and err on the side of too early is better than too late? We so want to do what is right for our girl. Is she trying to tell us it's not her time yet?

No one can answer this question except for you and Faye Oops. Maybe see how she does over the rest of the weekend, and let her tell you?

We added the gabapentin on Monday night after she was so restless on Sunday night. She then had a really bad Tuesday night and Wednesday. She had little control of her hind end (despite the fact that the osteo is in her left front up near her shoulder). She even fell down the stairs.

Were these the main signs that made you think it was time? They could definitely have been caused by the gabapentin. It can cause sedation and weakness, especially in the first few days of treatment. Not all dogs show these signs, and the ones who do usually stop having the signs after a little time (a few days, up to a week or two) as their system adjusts to the med.

My personal opinion is that if it's time, in most cases, you'll know without a doubt. And if it's really time, it's usually *now*. If it's something you're able to schedule for a future date, then it's probably not really quite time... But there's also nothing wrong with erring on the side of "too early" when dealing with a painful, terminal illness.

My thoughts are with you. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm confused today. Faye Oops has had an amazing two days. I don't know what to think or what to do. DH and I reached the very difficult decision to help her cross the bridge on Monday. She had some really rough days last week. Now, I'm starting to wonder it might have just been the meds.

We added the gabapentin on Monday night after she was so restless on Sunday night. She then had a really bad Tuesday night and Wednesday. She had little control of her hind end (despite the fact that the osteo is in her left front up near her shoulder). She even fell down the stairs. We were 100% confident it was her time, so we made the appointment with our vet for Monday. We ran out of piroxicam on Wednesday night. When I scheduled Monday's appointment, I asked the vet if we should renew the script for the piroxicam. She said she'd think that Faye Oops would be fine these last few days without it. She is currently on 100mg Tramadol 2x/day and 300mg gabapentin 2x/day.

On Friday, Faye Oops was almost back to her normal self. It's the most alert she has been in 2 weeks. She greeted me at the door with wagging tail (abeit a still weak rear end), played with her bird toy and then hopped on the couch for a snuggle. She slept right through the night - no apparent discomfort. Today, she hopped right into bed this morning for snuggles with not even so much as a whimper. She even went up and down stairs with minimal assistance. She is now sleeping peacefully. Faye Oops is eating well and still using all 4 legs too.

We just don't know what to do. Do we go forward with the appointment on Monday and err on the side of too early is better than too late? We so want to do what is right for our girl. Is she trying to tell us it's not her time yet? Another stress is that we're having DH brother's family this Wednesday for Thanksgiving. We didn't want to put stress on Faye Oops. My parents are here right now and she seems to enjoy the company.

:unsure

I think the gabapentin dose was responsible for the hind end weakness. IMHO she was started on a pretty high dose--side effects are exacting what you saw. Gabapentin is a drug that the body needs to adjust too. Quoting Dr Couto Ghs do better with lower more frequent doses than other breeds. Sounds like Faye has adjusted to her current dose now. Glad she's having a good day. I

I took Pinky's bandage off. Her staples come out tomorrow evening and it sounds like a bunch of your pups didn't really even HAVE a bandage past a few days post-surgery. I will say that I do feel that the bandaging has been great for Pinky in terms of swelling, and keeping the area padded while she was learning to get around and lay down on her own. It's just not needed anymore. I can already tell that she is SO much more comfortable with it gone...she immediately hopped up on the couch and plopped down-and she's already fast asleep. It's easier for her to fidget around without the VetWrap catching on the cloth of the couch.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

So I have a question. When you have osteo that isn't in the shoulder, is it still typically in a joint, or can they also get it just in the leg bone itself?

Zuri has been dragging a little bit on walks sometimes, which was the first sign something was wrong with Neyla although I didn't realize it at the time. He dislocated a toe a little while ago so at first I attributed the dragging to that, but I'm pretty sure the toe is healed. And lately I've noticed him licking his leg a lot, which is definitely not normal behavior for him. He's licking his front left leg in between his wrist and elbow, but closer to his elbow than his wrist. There are no wounds on the outside that would lead him to lick.

I am thinking of just skipping my regular vet and taking him to my orthopaedic vet for really good x-rays. I'll have to pay out the wazoo for them along with the consult, but the only other thing I can think is that he tweaked something in his arm when he popped his toe out and my regular vet probably can't help with that either. :dunno

I've been trying not to think the worst, but the licking has been going on long enough that I'm really staring to worry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, I think osteo can be in a bone away from the joint itself. Also, elbows are hard to lick, so an elbow problem (even when not osteo) might prompt licking near the elbow rather than on the joint itself. But I know some of the osteo-related bone breaks have occurred away from the joint.

And you're going to worry until you get the x-rays, even if Zuri stops licking.

Near as we can tell, Sam now is a member of the Cancer That Isn't Osteo Club. He had a trio of bad spots on his lungs in x-rays last week. (Waiting for confirmation from OSU.) We don't know where the primary cancer might be, but this looks like secondary metastases. There's nothing we can do, but I'm so not-ready to lose my boy, especially after losing Jacey three months ago. Sam has slept by my side every single night for more than nine years.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Berkeley's high res x-ray showed the lesion starting "near" the joint and basically going all the way up his leg. However, I *think* it's fairly rare for osteo to show up in other places than the big ones - near the wrist, near the knee, shoulder. I know some folks have seen it in the rib cage, spine, etc.

According to Dr. Couto: "Preferential locations for OSA include the distal radius, proximal humerus, and distal femur, although they can occur in any bone or location; they are more common in dogs over the age of 6 or 7."

If the only two symptoms are slow on walks and licking his leg, I think there are a lot of different things to explain those sorts of things. Is he limping, in addition?

Near as we can tell, Sam now is a member of the Cancer That Isn't Osteo Club. He had a trio of bad spots on his lungs in x-rays last week. (Waiting for confirmation from OSU.) We don't know where the primary cancer might be, but this looks like secondary metastases. There's nothing we can do, but I'm so not-ready to lose my boy, especially after losing Jacey three months ago. Sam has slept by my side every single night for more than nine years.

Oh no, I'm sorry. :( Cancer sucks.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

So I have a question. When you have osteo that isn't in the shoulder, is it still typically in a joint, or can they also get it just in the leg bone itself?

Zuri has been dragging a little bit on walks sometimes, which was the first sign something was wrong with Neyla although I didn't realize it at the time. He dislocated a toe a little while ago so at first I attributed the dragging to that, but I'm pretty sure the toe is healed. And lately I've noticed him licking his leg a lot, which is definitely not normal behavior for him. He's licking his front left leg in between his wrist and elbow, but closer to his elbow than his wrist. There are no wounds on the outside that would lead him to lick.

I am thinking of just skipping my regular vet and taking him to my orthopaedic vet for really good x-rays. I'll have to pay out the wazoo for them along with the consult, but the only other thing I can think is that he tweaked something in his arm when he popped his toe out and my regular vet probably can't help with that either. :dunno

I've been trying not to think the worst, but the licking has been going on long enough that I'm really staring to worry. :(

Twiggy's was in the distal radius - very near, but just above the wrist joint. I didn't get "special" x-rays, my regular vet did them. They have digital equipment, but I think most vets do now. I certainly hope there is nothing to see on the x-rays and that he just tweaked something.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Twiggy's was in the distal radius - very near, but just above the wrist joint. I didn't get "special" x-rays, my regular vet did them. They have digital equipment, but I think most vets do now. I certainly hope there is nothing to see on the x-rays and that he just tweaked something.

I've learned X-ray equipment can vary dramatically. My vet missed Neyla's tumor and misdiagnosed her. My ortho is the one who caught it by looking at the original X-ray, but he then took his own and they were dramatically better.

He is not limping currently, which is actually more disconcerting to me.

Jen, I think osteo can be in a bone away from the joint itself. Also, elbows are hard to lick, so an elbow problem (even when not osteo) might prompt licking near the elbow rather than on the joint itself. But I know some of the osteo-related bone breaks have occurred away from the joint.

And you're going to worry until you get the x-rays, even if Zuri stops licking.

I'm so sorry. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I took Pinky to my parents' house tonight for dinner for my mom's birthday. This was the first time she rode in the car without a human sitting in the back with her to keep her laying down. She stood for most of the ride and had better "sea legs" as a tripod than she ever did as a four legged pup! I was really proud of her :wub:

Staples come out tomorrow :) Hoping to get the path report tomorrow too :goodluck

Thinking and sending good thoughts for all who have posted recently and everyone else dealing with difficult, possibly cancerous, issues!!

Thank you, Kyle, for your wonderful list! I will look into several of those supplements in the future!

Good luck to Pinky in the morning or the 'morrow!

Hurley is in a holding pattern now....we are progressing with healing but he still has falls and slips to deal with (he better not injure his good back leg!) and we are scheduled to have an oncology appt this Wed but I have not been in contact with her for awhile so we will see what we can do on that day. I may not have a path report by then or have the chemo lined up by then. But Jim wants Hurley to be checked somewhere this week so we will start with the onco and work from there! I had to email her so we could discuss what could be done before we show up and she sends us out the door after 5 minutes. :blush This is all per her instructions before the amputation so we aren't pushing her, she is the one ready to get this started.

I hope we all have plenty to be thankful for this week!!!! B)

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Ah Jen, I'm afraid you cannot renew your membership here. So just Zuri that it ain't happening and that's all there is to it! Hope the x-rays go fine. We had an orthopaedic surgeon take Charlies.

I am so sorry.

I took Pinky to my parents' house tonight for dinner for my mom's birthday. This was the first time she rode in the car without a human sitting in the back with her to keep her laying down. She stood for most of the ride and had better "sea legs" as a tripod than she ever did as a four legged pup! I was really proud of her :wub:

Staples come out tomorrow :) Hoping to get the path report tomorrow too :goodluck

Way to go Pinky!!!

Thank you, Kyle, for your wonderful list! I will look into several of those supplements in the future!

Good luck to Pinky in the morning or the 'morrow!

Hurley is in a holding pattern now....we are progressing with healing but he still has falls and slips to deal with (he better not injure his good back leg!) and we are scheduled to have an oncology appt this Wed but I have not been in contact with her for awhile so we will see what we can do on that day. I may not have a path report by then or have the chemo lined up by then. But Jim wants Hurley to be checked somewhere this week so we will start with the onco and work from there! I had to email her so we could discuss what could be done before we show up and she sends us out the door after 5 minutes. :blush This is all per her instructions before the amputation so we aren't pushing her, she is the one ready to get this started.

I hope we all have plenty to be thankful for this week!!!! B)

You're welcome. Just a question, why is Hurley falling so often? Is it is because he is still trying to get his balance? Slippery floors? Just curious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jen - Faye Oops osteo is in upper part of her left humerous. It's close up to the shoulder, but not in the joint. I hope Zuri will not be joining the osteo club!

Well... we're taking Faye Oops to the vet today, but NOT to cross the Rainbow Bridge. We're calling her the comeback kid. Faye Oops got a necklace with a horseshoe charm from her Secret Santa earlier this month. She has been wearing it since last week. I guess that horseshoe has brought her luck after all. She continues to do well. We changed our appointment from euthanasia to doing follow-up x-rays and consult about her medications. I'm not sure how long this good streak will continue. We'll just live in the moment and listen to what she tells us. I just hope that a house full of company (including our two young nieces) Wednesday-Saturday will not cause her stress. Fingers crossed that we ALL get through this week. :goodluck

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Hoping for a good time for Faye Oops. Is there an area of the house that you can designate as a "quiet area" for her where she can go to relax and get away from the hubbub? That might help mitigate any stress.

Pinky was such a good girl last night-slept in bed with me and slept ALL night :yay We had been getting up around 2am every night because she needed to potty.

Hoping to get her path report back today-it has been 2 weeks since her surgery.

So glad you have more time with Faye Oops, Winnie.

The radiation and/or new meds have done wonders for Gabe, and he's almost walking normally again. In fact, he tried to run this morning before his nervous mama stopped him (wet ground + a lot of slippery leaves). :blush He's slept through the night without restlessness all weekend, and he's LOVING all the extra treats. I'm really grateful for these good days.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Kyle, Hurley is one of the most excitable greyhounds out there and he likes to jump up, jump around and move quickly from one place to another. Also, there is a lot of exposed hardwood floor right in front of his folded-up futon so I just put a rug there with anti-slip pad underneath to help with that part of the room. He is still getting used to it, I guess, as are we. Outside, he sometimes crumples over when we are on a slope but he has been getting much more sure-footed out there lately!

Hugs and kisses to Faye Oops and Gabe!! :wub::wub:

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Thanks everyone for the feedback on osteo locations. I am checking with one of the vets I use on what her x-ray equipment is like to see if I can avoid the expensive ortho consult. I need to take Faith in to get microchipped anyway so ideally I could do both together.

So glad to hear that Faye Oops and Gabe are both doing much better. :yay

Can't believe we're on page 49 again. It's almost time to start the 4th osteo thread. :(

Back from the vet... she thinks that Faye Oops looks great! She didn't feel that additional x-rays were necessary either. She didn't feel any swelling or note any changes to Faye Oops left front leg. She was happy to see Faye Oops bearing weight on it easily too. Vet thinks the episodes last week have everything to do with her getting used to the new drug cocktail when we added the gabapentin. She did see how weak Faye Oops hind end was and noticed a delayed reaction with her using her back feet. So... she gave us a script for the 100mg capsules of the gabapentin which we'll try to dose more frequently though the day than the 300mg 2x/day. Hopefully Faye Oops will be less like a drunken sailer on the lower, but more frequent dosage of the gabapentin. Faye Oops spirits contintinue to be good too. She is very alert and acting like her old self. I'm so relieved that we listened to her rather than going forward with the euthanasia today.

I'm also so glad to hear that Gabe is feeling better too. (((HUGS))) to all our osteo/cancer pups.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I confirmed that Dr. K has good x-ray equipment at her new facility. The earliest I could get an appt was Saturday so until then I will keep telling myself I'm ridiculous to worry at all. :goodluck

Guest BlueCrab

Jen, of course you're not ridiculous to worry. You have, unfortunately, first hand knowledge. But as someone else posted, you exhausted your membership in this club. Can't happen. Won't happen. Positive vibes.

I haven't been here for a while. Just want to pass my good wishes to all members, old and new. Osteo is a bitch.

Jen, Phene's osteo was in the same location as Faye Oops (great news, Laura!). Of course it's not ridiculous to worry, especially since you've recently been through this, but like others have said, you've exhausted your membership :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Jen, I'd like to remain the only two time member posting regularly here so you can't be one :P

It's not silly to worry, but I do hope it turns out to be nothing...so try not to worry too much :)

Pinky got her staples out :yay She will be SO much more comfortable now. I hope her hair grows quickly :goodluck

Still no path report...it is taking longer because the tumor hadn't eaten the bone away much yet-so apparently it takes longer to get down to it since there is a lot of intact bone. Lab said they hope to read it preliminarily tonight but will need more time for an in depth read.

Oh, and Pinky has a bladder infection resistant to cephalexin. She started Zeniquin today to try to help with that.

I bought some cocoa butter to put on her suture line-the skin is dry and chafed and it itches...