Gretta The Rabbit

PatricksMom

Almost ten years ago we got married. The next thing we did was adopt Gretta from the House Rabbit Society. At the time we were told she had been in the shelter 3 years, so we figure she was nearly 13. The shelter folks kept trying to get me to take the snow white dwarf bunny, no, I wanted the fiesty one that ate my purse, because they said she'd been there three years.

Gretta spent the rest of her life as a feisty, dignified lady. We adopted her in part to keep our guinea pig Arnold company--it was hate at first sight, and yet she grieved when he died. Various guinea pigs came and went, she bossed most of them around. But then Jakie entered our life--covered in mess, with ingrown nails and mites. He did nothing but bite the first day or two until we got him cleaned up, but she loved him, they were best friends until he died of cancer. She always liked to be on top of the world, I can't find a picture of her sitting on the bag of "her armchair" but she loved it. She was meticulous in her grooming--any contact with dirty humans required a bath afterwards.

Time went on. Two years ago the House Rabbit people called to chastize me for ignoring the requirement that we tell them she had died--well, she was very much alive. She's spent the last 4 years taking meloxicam for arthritis, usually it kills rabbits within months, but it kept her pain free with no ill effects. She was diagnosed with diabetes, apparently that doesn't happen in rabbits, but she kept going with no ill effects. She lost control of herself, but we didn't have the heart to put her back in a cage, so I've vacuumed a lot and worn shoes in my office.

She was always ornory, despite my best attempts she never cared for me, and she bit every vet she ever met as well. When we found a tumor on her Thursday night, we knew it was time, but we couldn't believe it. Somehow, I think we had convinced ourselves she was stubborn enough to live forever. Friday morning we took her to the vet--sadly she wasn't well enough to bite for old times sake. It was peaceful for her but tore DH and I up.

Godspeed Gretta--I don't know where you'll go but I know there will be guinea pigs, and feet to bite, and fresh lettuce, parsley, cilantro, and more of your favorites.

I can't get the picture to work, I'll have DH add it later.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest LadyChester

I am so sorry to hear about Gretta. Thank you for taking in a girl who needed you. I love the fesity ones, too. Hop free, Gretta and go find Jakie ...

She had a good life with you. I'm sorry she couldn't stay forever.

Godspeed, little Gretta with the big personality.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Gretta had a good, long, stubborn life - it must be very hard to be without her. She was a lucky girl to find the right home. Godspeed Gretta! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

DH fixed the picture so here's Gretta. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, no matter how many you lose it doesn't get easier.

post-1456-0-79457900-1309221920_thumb.jpg

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I find my myself crying at your sweet tribute. She was obviously loved.. and she knew it.

God Speed Gretta.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm sorry. :cry1 She was an amazing girl.

Godspeed Gretta.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

RIP Gretta.

She's beauty.

I had no ideas bunnies could live such a long life.

I have 2 'barn bunnies'...they live in my horse barn in a big fenced off area.

To the best of my knowledge they are 3 yeas old...here's looking for another 10 years for them... just like Gretta!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

RIP Gretta.

She's beauty.

I had no ideas bunnies could live such a long life.

I have 2 'barn bunnies'...they live in my horse barn in a big fenced off area.

To the best of my knowledge they are 3 yeas old...here's looking for another 10 years for them... just like Gretta!

It's very unusual to have a bunny live to 13, the lifespan of an indoor bunny is usually 8-10 years--none of our vets have been able to believe how long she lived. But here's a prayer that yours too will live long lives.

She was a force to be reckoned with! What an awesome little soul.

I'm so sorry you lost you precious little Gretta.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest LindsaySF

:grouphug She was beautiful. That's wonderful that she lived so long.

My rabbit Jackie is failing in his old age, so I know what it's like. (I think he's around 8-9 now). It's never easy to let them go. :(