Melanie Went To The Bridge This Morning

Guest Mom2Melanie

Guest Mom2Melanie

My best friend and loyal companion, Melanie, went to the bridge this morning at 11am. She was stoic and elegant to the very end.

I became Melanie's mom (my first and only greyhound) in July of 2002. I was a law student at the time and she helped me to keep some fun in my life. She was so shy at first, but slowly opened up to me, then strangers, then other dogs (even the little white fluffy ones). She was the perfect dog. She always listened, followed me everywhere (at least with her eyes), and was quick to make friends. Melanie was a farm flunkie (she had a little too much skip in her step) and a little ragged when she retired at age 2. She had long scars on both of her sides and her tail was cropped at about 5 inches. Her stumpie (as we liked to call it) always wagged when she was excited. Despite her scars and missing tail, she was the most elegantly, regal dog I have ever seen. When I studied for the bar exam, my parents took her in for a while. After a few days, they didn't want to give her back :) She is the reason they now have three greykids of their own! Every day with Melanie was a gift. She cared for me as much as I did for her. When I was sad, she knew it and when I celebrated, so did she. She was my true heart dog.

In February of this year, Melanie began to limp. I took her to the vet and was horrified to learn that she had osteo. Given her advanced age, I did not feel like it was fair to put her through heroic measures. We treated with gabapentin and rimadyl. She did great for awhile. She never really put much weight on the leg, but she got around fine and ate like there was no tomorrow. Two days ago, I noticed that her entire leg had begun to swell. She couldn't put any weight on it at all and was reluctant to get up from her bed. She didn't have much interest in her food (although she still made the effort for biscuits and cheese!). Last night we made the tough decision to end her pain. We took her in to the vet this morning and said our goodbyes. She stood to greet the vet when he came in and remained calm the entire time.

I hope she knows that a piece of my heart went with her to the bridge this morning. I will never be the same person now that she is gone- there will always be a piece of me missing. She made me a better person and showed me what unconditional love is. I hope I can be a mom to more greys over the years, but no dog will ever fill the hole she left.

Rest in peace dear friend. I love you more than you could ever imagine. Soak up the sun at the bridge. I will meet you there with open arms some day.

Tracy

post-23622-0-51229900-1303594697_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mom2Melanie

Beautiful and heartfelt tribute to a very beautiful and much loved girl. God Speed.

I am so sorry for your loss.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Melanie. Take comfort in knowing she is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greyhoundgirl1

You wrote such a beautiful tribute to Melanie. On my rescue's website there is a touching poem:

A Greyhound Wish

When I die, Let it be as a Pet!

So that someone will remember me!

Obviously Melanie has succeeded in attaining this. :f_pink

I'm so sorry your beautiful girl had to leave you.

Godspeed, Melanie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Such a beautifully written tribute to your special girl. I love the picture you posted. We are very sorry for your loss of Melanie.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Melanie is beautiful. Godspeed Melanie!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Melanie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for your loss. And you're right, they do take a big piece of your heart with them.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross