Kebo Is Finally Home. 3 Weeks Postop And Looking Good.

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

We went and picked Kebo up from NC State this morning. It was a 7-hour round trip but totally worth it.

Pathology isn't back yet but the surgeon says he will start bugging them on Monday for results. He feels like he got it all out but the proof is in the path.

His poor nose is so swollen. He sounds like Darth Vader when he breathes. (His nose was so droopy after they removed the bone that they did some cosmetic surgery to remove redundant tissue and lift the nose.) It looks like it was about an inch shorter than it was. He has an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, tramadol, and trazodone for anxiety if he needs it. He has to wear the "cone of shame" to keep from scratching at it. I set up his kennel in the living room (he hasn't used it in years) in case he wanted a safe space to go. It is kind of hidden behind a chair but he found it and is now happily snoring away. His brother and sister are a little freaked out but I'm sure they will adjust.

I thought I'd post some pictures since I had a hard time trying to visualize what they had done and thought others might be curious. They might be a little graphic for some so don't scroll down if you don't want to see.

The tumor...

p705573257-4.jpg

Recovering from surgery #1...

p715981922-4.jpg

His snaggletooth...

p827727672-4.jpg

The sweet potato he stole after recovering from his first surgery...

p732441573-4.jpg

Surgery #2 - what they did...

p34349525-11.jpg

Back home on the couch...

p617599533-4.jpg

His sweet nose...

p889163661-4.jpg

Another view...

p599273972-4.jpg

Edited by greytkidsmom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He must be feeling 1000 times better just being home. Hope he continues to heal and the path comes back clean. Sweet boy!!!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

He's HOME!!!!! Looks like the surgeon did a fabulous job. He looks a bit like a punch-drunk prizefighter with the stitches still in his nose, but he is going to be one handsome boy once they (and The Cone) are gone. Hugs and best wishes for fast healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

I can't say enough good things about the surgeon and staff at NC State. They called me at least 2, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day to give me updates. They even addressed his travel anxiety and gave him some sedation this morning before we arrived to make his car ride home less stressful. When our bill is finally paid, we will have to give them a nice donation :)

I am glad Kebo is home, now it's time to recover!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

WOW! That is totally amazing! Looks like they did a great job! Thanks for posting ... very interesting!

MANY hugs, and lots of love to your boy!

Kebo looks fantastic! Much better than my imagination conjured up. Thanks for sharing his story and the pictures - while unusual still good to know

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Wow!!! He looks greyt!!! I was imagining......well, I don't know what I was imagining, but he looks awesome,

other than being totally wrung out. Best Wishes for a fast recovery, Kebo!!!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Glad to hear he's home and recovering...you must be so relieved.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Kebo must be so glad to be home with the people who love him most. So happy to hear that his surgery went well. I hope that you will continue to update us on Kebo's recovery.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Kebo looks fantastic! Much better than my imagination conjured up. Thanks for sharing his story and the pictures - while unusual still good to know

My thoughts too. So good to see his beautiful self. wub.gif Will he always sound like Darth or just until he heals up?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Wow. That's incredibly neat work.

I hope he heals quickly and well, and that the meds keep him as comfortable as possible in the meantime. I hope too that the path report is good.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytkidsmom

My thoughts too. So good to see his beautiful self. wub.gif Will he always sound like Darth or just until he heals up?

I think the Darth sound is just from all of the swelling. Of course now, whenever he is quiet, we run over and check to make sure he is breathing :o

We were prepared for him to look radically different but we weren't prepared for the sounds he is making...

Glad to hear Kebo's home, and sending good thoughts for a smooth recovery! Thanks for posting the photos. Would also love to see more photos after he's healed and all the swelling is gone. I find that a lot of people are reluctant to pursue partial maxillectomies or mandibulectomies because removing parts of the upper or lower jawbone sounds so invasive and they worry about how the dog will look afterward. When shown photos of dogs who've had it done, the response is usually surprise that it doesn't look so bad, and in some cases is barely noticeable.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greytkidsmom

Glad to hear Kebo's home, and sending good thoughts for a smooth recovery! Thanks for posting the photos. Would also love to see more photos after he's healed and all the swelling is gone. I find that a lot of people are reluctant to pursue partial maxillectomies or mandibulectomies because removing parts of the upper or lower jawbone sounds so invasive and they worry about how the dog will look afterward. When shown photos of dogs who've had it done, the response is usually surprise that it doesn't look so bad, and in some cases is barely noticeable.

Sure will.

Sure will.

Thank you for sharing those pictures. I had always imagined something a lot worse looking. I look forward to his healing and seeing more pictures also. Gentle scritches and healing thoughts for Kebo.