L.p. Tieback Surgery Done And He's Doing Well

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

February 27 - It's over, and he's home doing wonderfully. Full update (with FrankenMork pic) page 28 :)

February 24 - Well, my big boy is going in tomorrow. I know it's for the best, and he needs to have this done. Of course I'm still very worried about the old man pulling through. He's healthy as a horse according to CXR and US (I was worried about his weight loss, apparently I just wasn't feeding him enough!!). When his feet feel good, he's ready to run and play, and I hope that soon he will be able to breathe easy and no longer sound like Darth Vader!

I have read and re-read all the posts about all the hounds who had the LP tie back, and even though it seems like the vast majority of hounds get many years of easy breathing...I'm still terrified.

Morky is almost 11 and a half and we never thought he'd be the last of our original 3. But the tough old man is doing so well. I was hoping to put this off until the spring when it got warmer. But we had a very tough walk on Monday (or Tuesday, I can't remember), and it was all I could do to cool him off with ice, water and fans.

My understanding is that recovery is fairly non-eventful (considering it's surgery). Any tips or things I need to think about to ease recovery? I've read up on it quite a bit here and on veterinary websites. But if anyone has any first hand tips to share I would love to hear them.

Gratuitous picture of my big ole trouble maker

DSC_0242.jpg

Edited by MnMDogs

Hoping for successful surgery and a quick recovery for Mork goodluck.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I made up Fat Balls for Darbee after her tieback surgery. raw hamburger with raw eggs and lots of other good stuff. gelatin, molasses, olive oil, wheat germ...

anyway, i could hide her pills in them and she'd be able to swallow without any problem. they were soft and small.

she lived on them for a couple weeks. she started kibble about the 2nd week, but I kept giving her the fat balls cause they were easy, and she liked them and she was a skinny little thing, so she actually put some weight on. :blush

Darbee was almost 13 at her tie back,, and she lived another 2 years, without any complications! she died of a seizure --- unrelated to her LP.

good luck!!!

Mork is very handsome!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest MnMDogs

Thank you everyone... I just got off the phone with my vet to discuss the surgical consult and all that good stuff.

Diane, I haven't told him no more biscuits! I don't want to depress him, and I'm going to have to find him something comparable for his night time snack. I'm a bit concerned that he does seem to be dropping weight, and he's at his lowest ever at 75#. So we're going to do a CXR and US when he goes in for surgery on the 25th and hope for the best.

ETA: Thanks for the advice on the fat balls! Those will be good to have on hand :)

Edited by MnMDogs

:goodluck for Mork.

For treats: maybe he could have a slice of the rolled stuff--Natural Balance or Rollover.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Onyx got her tieback 4 yrs ago when she was 11. Yup, she is now 15 (and scared the sh*t outa me yesterday and today. But that's another H&M thread.). Anyway, with the exception of the hard Milkbone biscuits, I found that if I soaked most other items in water, it soften right up. I also give her people cookies. There are several soft cookie brands to choose from. I just get them wet to prevent crumbs, but they are soft so don't need soaking.

Her favorite 'cookie' however is the dark red/yellow striped Snaw Somes. They are in most supermarkets in the dog section. I actually buy the big container from BJs.

She also gets Pepcid daily to help prevent vomiting. The few times she has, I took her to the vets and they gave me antibiotics as a precaution.

Also, I've given her ensure to help with weight.

Good Luck, Mork.

Aw, good luck to your lemon dog. I'm sure the tough old fella will do well :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Best wishes for Mork. I spent some time on LP boards in the fall & was very encouraged by the positivity there. I hope he's like a brand new dog very soon. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Friends of ours had the LP surgery done on their then-13 year old greyhound. He did develop pneumonia, but they solved that with antibiotics. He did well once he recovered, but then died (they found cancer somewhere) about a year later.

Best wishes for sweet Mork, and for you, too.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I don't blame you for being terrified without having the surgery. If I knew then what I know now I may have been able to save my bridge girl Sarah. I would have had the surgery if I had known that was an option. Instead I had to watch and hear my girl grasping for air. She was in the back of the car and we were headed back home on the freeway in an isolated stretch. Nearest vet was 30 mins. It was the longest 30 mins of her life. Vet said it was just like she had a heat stroke and it was a horrible death. That was 1997 and the image is still clear in my mind. I vote for the surgery.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest TBSFlame

I don't blame you for being terrified without having the surgery. If I knew then what I know now I may have been able to save my bridge girl Sarah. I would have had the surgery if I had known that was an option. Instead I had to watch and hear my girl grasping for air. She was in the back of the car and we were headed back home on the freeway in an isolated stretch. Nearest vet was 30 mins. It was the longest 30 mins of her life. Vet said it was just like she had a heat stroke and it was a horrible death. That was 1997 and the image is still clear in my mind. I vote for the surgery.

Same here. I wish I had had the surgery for Tessie. I will never get over her death.

Guest MnMDogs

Same here. I wish I had had the surgery for Tessie. I will never get over her death.

These are the things I was thinking of after our walk this week. I am so very sorry that you (and anyone) would have to experience this.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in on you and your handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.