Biopsy Results In

Either chondrosarcoma or osteo, the pathologist couldn't tell which. Chondrosarcoma would be better, as amp is more likely to be curative. But in either case, we have to decide to amputate or just plan on pain management. It's likely we wouldn't know which type of cancer it was until after the amputation, unless we want to put her through another biopsy (we won't). I think we'll probably amputate, but we're still trying to make sense of it. It's hard. She's only 4. She's not limping, she's happy, she doesn't seem to be having any pain. So do we amputate when she seems to be fine? If we're going to do it, I know it would be "better" to do it before she progresses, but the thought of amputating a leg when the dog isn't in pain just breaks my heart. But, seeing her get to the point of being in pain would be equally heart breaking. And if it's osteo, and we amputate and do chemo, she'll live to be...what..6? Two years post osteo would be a blessing and I'd cherish that time, but we adopted her when she was 2 and I've always imagined having at least ten good years with her in our lives. This is all happening too soon.

Just when I thought all of the odds were in her favor. This was not the news I was expecting.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

I am so sorry. You are right -- four is way too young. Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one. :grouphug

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I don't know how true it is, but I thought I heard/read that OS is more aggressive in younger hounds.

But, I will let you know, that I went the amp route with my 12 yr old Diamond. It took just 2 weeks for her to be almost 100%. While we only had 6 months, it was a very happy, pain free 6 months.

It's a very very difficult decision. But remember you're doing it out of love.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

PS....you're only about 11 hrs from OSU. I drove from NJ to Ohio to have them do Dima's amp. I did not regret a moment of that.

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. I was really rooting for Lucy to not have cancer! So tired of this freaking disease. :angry:

Regarding the biopsy, can the vet not tell or at least venture an educated guess which is more likely based on the x-ray? My understanding is that chondrosarcoma occurs in the cartilage and would therefore be at the edge of the bone, or even crossed over into multiple bones, while osteo would be inside the bone and restricted to only that bone (unless it had metastasized).

I can't give you any advice on what to do except that if your choice is ultimately going to be to amputate, you need to do it as soon as possible. I know how conflicting it can seem since she's not in pain, but the fact that she isn't is a good sign that if it is osteo you've caught it early and she just might not have any mets yet. Certainly doing the surgery sooner will increase the odds of that although I know the odds generally aren't in anyone's favor in that regard. The "good" thing is that she's healthy and will hopefully recovery from the surgery quickly should you choose to do it.

I know how tough this is, well be sending good thoughts your way in the hopes that you can reach a decision you're at peace with. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh wow....the big 'c' is never fair but come on....4 yrs old?! How sad. :( I am so sorry to hear this news. :( I am not sure what I would do in your position therefore I have no advice. I think if it were an older pup, I would focus on pain management but with a pup so young....that is a harder decision to make. :( Just gather all the information you can including longterm prognosis after surgery (if you choose to do the amp) and go from there. There is no right and wrong decision...just go with what you think is best for your pup.... :grouphug

Cancer just sucks.

Jess, I am so sorry for you and Lucy. Whatever you decide, you are her best friend, and only want to do what is best for her.

G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Regarding the biopsy, can the vet not tell or at least venture an educated guess which is more likely based on the x-ray? My understanding is that chondrosarcoma occurs in the cartilage and would therefore be at the edge of the bone, or even crossed over into multiple bones, while osteo would be inside the bone and restricted to only that bone (unless it had metastasized).

She didn't want to venture a guess since so much about this case has been atypical. She suggested we get in touch with Dr. Couto. I just sent him an Email.

I know that the X-rays show it being contained inside one bone, but it is near the surface. I don't know how aggressive osteo typically grows, but my assumption was that if it were osteo, it would have grown in the course of the 5 weeks between X-rays. But, that's not always the case, and almost nothing about this has been typical. I do know that osteo is much more common than chondrosarcoma, so that's not in our favor.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

She didn't want to venture a guess since so much about this case has been atypical. She suggested we get in touch with Dr. Couto. I just sent him an Email.

I know that the X-rays show it being contained inside one bone, but it is near the surface. I don't know how aggressive osteo typically grows, but my assumption was that if it were osteo, it would have grown in the course of the 5 weeks between X-rays. But, that's not always the case, and almost nothing about this has been typical. I do know that osteo is much more common than chondrosarcoma, so that's not in our favor.

Yeah, as you may already know, I took x-rays fairly regularly through Neyla's progression. From her first x-ray in May until her 4 month x-ray in September there was no noticeable change. In October, 1 month later when she started to show some slightly increased signs of pain, it had progressed somewhat, but still not significantly. It was only in December that we saw obvious changes. Doesn't necessarily mean anything for you, it's just 1 example of an "atypical" progression although I tend to think of it more as a function of being one of hte few people who just identified it early and took periodic x-rays. Who knows though. Maybe something I did helped. :P

Anyway, I'm sorry you don't have clearer answers.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry. It's hard enough to take when they're 10, but when she's just 4...:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh no :( :( This is just so unfair. :( :( I agree with Jen, if you are going to amputate, I would do it asap. If you wait until she is in visible pain, it has often spread, and you want to give her every chance to be one of the lucky ones who lives many years past dx. Only you know what is right for you and your girl, but I will say that I personally would not even consider amputation (and didn't with Riley) UNLESS it was a very young dog and it was caught early. But even then it is such a tough decision.

We are here to support you whatever you decide.:grouphug

Guest bigorangedog

So, so sorry to hear this. 4 is far too young. But it's never fair, is it? :(

My boy Whitey (age 11 at diagnosis) also seemed to be in little to no pain at the time we did the amputation. He was running in the yard and digging holes the night before. It just about killed me to bring him in that morning for surgery. He was all tailwags and happy to go for a ride.

But as others have said, if it's osteo, the time to amputate is now. Make sure her lungs are clear first, obviously, but I wouldn't wait any longer than absolutely necessary.

My guess is that with a 4 yr old, she is going to be on her feet bopping around in no time at all. It took my 11-yr-old about a week and a half to be mobile and a month to be 100%, but then he ran with it (pun intended) and did amazingly well. My 9-yr-old Apollo walked out of the surgery clinic the day after surgery under his own power and hopped into the car. He wanted to get the H*!! out of there! He was wobbly and loopy from the drugs, but he got around. I don't think he ever fell once.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Damn. I was really hoping for an infection as you know. I'm just thinking out loud here, but usually when they usually find osteo it's because the dog has shown major signs. In this case you found it almost on a fluke which means you found it probably far earlier than most. Wouldn't that mean that she most likely has a better prognosis, especially if you amputate? I could be completely wrong (I hope I'm not). Whatever you decide to do will be the right decision because you are doing it out of love. Call me if you want to talk.