Goldie's Nights Are Getting Better! Holding Off On The Anipryl

Guest Energy11

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

we have gone through almost EXACTLY what you are going through with Rainey!!!

the issues you are having at night are exactly what we had happen 2 weeks ago (and back in October) after her zonisamide was increased. She has had seizures since 8/17/2010 and we are still working on them. Hers have mainly been tonic clonic (former Grand Mal) but has had the focals too.

after having the MRI and spinal tap, and a $400 tick panel and multiple blood panels -- with nothing found -- on 11/24 I asked to have her thyroid checked (I assumed it had been done!) :(. SHE HAS A LEGITIMATE LOW THYROID -- even Dr. Couto confirmed it -- she is the 4th hound he has EVER seen that really has a low thyroid. We put her on thyroid meds on 11/29 -- and the next night those "weird" episodes returned -- and she had a seizure EVERY DAY for the next 4 days. HOWEVER -- she has not had one now since 12/4!!!

I know how horrible this is and how frustrating!!! Please perhaps have her thyroid checked, it's possible this is the same issue. If not, try the additional pheno -- Rainey was originally started on pheno, 2 x a day -- but we had horrible problems with her on it -- she barked, cried, whined CONTINUALLY on it and was beyond ravenously hungry on it. We then took her off that and started Keppra, then added zonisamide but nothing helped. Pheno is the BEST med for seizures. I know you know in your heart what is best and I hope you can figure this out!

Thanks for this info! Before Goldie had her focal seizures almost two weeks ago, she WAS already exhibiting "strange" behavior. Barking at night, running through the house, whining, but NOT like this. MY feelings are, and it was in the back of my mind then, too, that she did have a primary or secondary brain lesion (tumor) ... then, the seizures. IT COULD be the Phenobarb, but she's been on it long enough to adjust. I have three vets telling me this is either, a brain tumor and/or Dementia. AND, I noticed today she IS losing weight, and, as I mentioned previously has head "tics,", which are also indicative of brain tumors/swelling.

IF ONLY her nights were like her days. She seems OK/not great, but OK, during the day! I was soo hoping the pheno, pred, and Valium could help! Sending hugs your way. ... I think I have told you this, but Rainey looks a lot like Goldie! If I could use photobucket properly, I'd post some beautiful pix of Goldie.

Many hugs! DEE

I had 3 vets (including Dr. Couto) tell me it was a brain tumor with Rainey too, and the MRI proved it was not.

How long has she been on the pheno? I'm a little surprised they put her on it after only 2 focal seizures, they usually wait until 3 or a TC....

as far as how she was acting, I remember reading you said Goldie was acting like a pup at 10, and that's exactly what Rainey was/is doing too! (She's 10 as well). More ammo for the tumor theory, but again, it's not a tumor in Rainey's case.

Why did he put her on prednisone?

maybe she isn't reacting well to the pheno in general, maybe you can wean her off like we did and try another, there are many that have less side effects. Rainey was pretty wobbly for like 3 days when she started the Keppra (was on pheno still then too), but didn't have any problems with the 1st addition of the zonisamide (100 mg 2 x day) but had those "weird" episodes exactly like you are describing in October when we increased it to 200 mg 2 x day. At that time, it lasted for 4 days, then they stopped. This past time, she had them all at night, for 2-2.5 hours each time, and this was for 3 nights -- and she was barking, pacing, whining, forgot her housetraining, worse than the ones in October. How many nights has Goldie been like this?

I know how very hard this is, believe me. We've been going through this hell since August and only until we just now put her on the thyroid have we had ANY hope. The only problem is she is now acting aggressively towards us -- she has to sleep muzzled now as she's gone after us at least 6 times at night in bed. And she just now went after me viciously, she came running up to the sliding glass door outside and our freeking gutters are leaking so it was icy right by the door. I was outside the door and put out my arms and stopped her and she went after me. We are thinking (hoping) she has some kind of neck/back issue that's causing her pain and we are going to take her to a chiro for an adjustment, we hope it helps. So I know about the aggression, too :(

I guess you have to make the decision if it's in her best interest to keep trying :( :( I really feel for you. :( :(

Your post made me think!! YES, before the two "focal seizures", Goldie was whining and crying a bit at night and "acting like a puppy ..." BUT the night after her seizures, and the night after that ... she was FINE.... THEN, after the Phenobarb started building up in her system ... she started her "outrageous" behavior!!!

I have decided to: titrate/cycle her down off the phenobarb and pred ... I have the Valium in case of seizures... I have, scheduled a vet appt for Friday to draw a full thyroid panel, and I HAVE decided NOT to send this girl to The Bridge, ... yet!!!!!!!!!! What if, it was ONLY a stroke before, and we are treating for a tumor??? ... but. it might be the MEDS causing the symptoms? I AM WILLING TO GIVE GOLDIE A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to "RaineysMom" I will do this ... IF she has a seizure, I can handle it with the Valium tablets and and rectal Valium ... BUT, IF Goldie returns to some-what normal, after being cycled off the pheno and pred???????????????????? Well,.... we shall see. I feel GOOD about this decision, AND, RIGHT OR WRONG, ... SHE WILL NOT SUFFER, BUT SHE HAS A CHANCE!

Thank you, "Raniey's Mom!"

Dee - it sounds like you have a plan - and a good one. i always feel more confident and hopeful when I have a plan. hugs to you and Goldie.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Excellent! Best to be systematic :) I'll be looking for positive updates.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IrskasMom

Hi Dee, there is nothing at all that has not been said already.I am not good to give advice since YOU are the Expert in their Care .I am hurting just to read this.I will pray you have the strenght and know when.We share this Hurt with you as we do with all the other who lost or is losing. You have helped so many others with your Expert Advice and kind Words.We are here to help you.Prayers and Hugs to you and Goldie. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I am so sorry, you and 'Goldie are going through this :( , I know you love her, you are doing everything possible, that is for sure,,, as "their" people they trust us to make the hard choices,my old vet told me one time , when I was in a decison making state "he has always beem a good friend to you,,, know it is time to be a good friend to him",, As far as your husband,,, if he is anything like mine,,, he is not good with this type of thing,, one time when I had to put down an old lab,,, he didn't talk to me for 2 weeks,,, ask me if I cared!

Guest Energy11

First of all, thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts for my Goldie! IT MEAN A LOT TO ME!!!

I figure, I have to give her a chance before just "sending" her to The Bridge. After her two seizures, ... we immediately started her on phenobarb. The first two nights after the Evets, she was fine, then, her horrible nights started! I am really wondering if it IS the Pheno and the Pred??? I have oral and rectal Valium here if she does seize. I am weaning her OFF the Pred and Pheno, and she goes into the vets tomorrow for a full thyriod panel. (*would go today, but the roads are ice skating rinks ,,, freezing rain)!

I want to give this girl every chance, and I will, BUT, won't let her suffer, either.

Love and thanks again for all of our support! DEE

Might want to wait a little on the thyroid panel since pheno will affect that.

Hugs and hopes that she improves for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Might want to wait a little on the thyroid panel since pheno will affect that.

Hugs and hopes that she improves for you.

Yeah! You are RIGHT! I am NOT thinking clearly lately! I'd better reschedule for next week. Weather stinks anyway! :angry:

Dee - Oh, my! What a rollercoaster! I pray that you get some definitive information in order to make the best decisions for you and Goldie! It's just so heartbreaking! Rest assured that all of GT is behind you, praying, hoping, encouraging and holding you on a cloud of prayers. You may stumble, but you will not fall! No advice - just hugs.

Candles are lit in FL, too!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Energy11

k

Dee - Oh, my! What a rollercoaster! I pray that you get some definitive information in order to make the best decisions for you and Goldie! It's just so heartbreaking! Rest assured that all of GT is behind you, praying, hoping, encouraging and holding you on a cloud of prayers. You may stumble, but you will not fall! No advice - just hugs.

Candles are lit in FL, too!

YES, IT IS A ROLLERCOASTER, but, we have to try everything before giving up. REST ASSURED, she is NOT suffering, OR, I wouldn't be doing this!!!! We have rescheduled her appt. for Tuesday afternoon for her T4, and we will go from there. As I mentioned, we have LOTS AND LOTS of Valium here if we need it to treat seizures. YOU COULDN'T DRIVE HERE IF YOU WANTED TO TODAY ... OMG!!!! Icy and foggy! :(

YES, IT IS A ROLLERCOASTER, but, we have to try everything before giving up. REST ASSURED, she is NOT suffering, OR, I wouldn't be doing this!!!! We have rescheduled her appt. for Tuesday afternoon for her T4, and we will go from there. As I mentioned, we have LOTS AND LOTS of Valium here if we need it to treat seizures. YOU COULDN'T DRIVE HERE IF YOU WANTED TO TODAY ... OMG!!!! Icy and foggy! :(

Make sure you do the full thyroid panel, not just the T4. Many gh's are incorrectly diagnosed with a low thyroid because their T3 and T4 are low -- but that doesn't make them truly low -- having those low AND the TSH elevated is what is the sure tell.

sending you guys more hugs and prayers. You have been on my mind constantly. :hope :hope :hope

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:hope for Goldie

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross