Goldie's Nights Are Getting Better! Holding Off On The Anipryl

Guest Energy11

Dee, this is such wonderful news. I remember us talking about our fears of losing our pups during the holidays and I am SO glad that you still have your Goldie with you and taht she is improving. :yay

I can't remember, and I'm just curious, did her nighttime spells start before the pheno, or only after?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Dee, this is such wonderful news. I remember us talking about our fears of losing our pups during the holidays and I am SO glad that you still have your Goldie with you and taht she is improving. :yay

I can't remember, and I'm just curious, did her nighttime spells start before the pheno, or only after?

Goldie's nighttime spells started BEFORE the phenobarb and Pred, but they were NOT as bad ... I think the combination of a VERY low thyroid, in need of supplementation, AND, adding the Phenobarb and Pred, had a lot to do with the HEck Goldie was going through at night. She still has little bouts, but NO aggression, and I do see amazing improvement!

JUST REMEMBER ... NEVER, EVER, NEVER ... settle for the first opinions you get with these greys! GET A SECOND, THIRD, OR, EVEN A FOURTH!

That is excellent news. I certainly hope the improvement lasts.

JUST REMEMBER ... NEVER, EVER, NEVER ... settle for the first opinions you get with these greys! GET A SECOND, THIRD, OR, EVEN A FOURTH!

Yes, I do agree. Also good to remember that though consultation with experts, even long distance ones, is certainly to be advised, dogs should be treated as individuals, based on their whole selves not just their lab work. I am the first to ask for tests to be run & I am big on checking research, comparing statistics, etc. My dogs, however, do not care what the stats & norms are. They insist on being themselves which sometimes run contrary to the wisdom & experience of even the best experts. I love numbers, use them, rely on them daily but in the end we must treat the dog, not the numbers.

Diagnosing & treating thyroid problems is a controversial subject not only in Greyhounds but in all vet & human medicine. There is no black & white. We can only do our best based on our individual dogs. It will be very interesting to see how Goldie progressing & continues to respond to ongoing thyroid treatment. I hope you have really found the right thing for her. Most of all, I hope she remains her true self, the Goldie you adore. That is what really matters.

Guest Energy11

That is excellent news. I certainly hope the improvement lasts.

Yes, I do agree. Also good to remember that though consultation with experts, even long distance ones, is certainly to be advised, dogs should be treated as individuals, based on their whole selves not just their lab work. I am the first to ask for tests to be run & I am big on checking research, comparing statistics, etc. My dogs, however, do not care what the stats & norms are. They insist on being themselves which sometimes run contrary to the wisdom & experience of even the best experts. I love numbers, use them, rely on them daily but in the end we must treat the dog, not the numbers.

Diagnosing & treating thyroid problems is a controversial subject not only in Greyhounds but in all vet & human medicine. There is no black & white. We can only do our best based on our individual dogs. It will be very interesting to see how Goldie progressing & continues to respond to ongoing thyroid treatment. I hope you have really found the right thing for her. Most of all, I hope she remains her true self, the Goldie you adore. That is what really matters.

VERY well put! :-) As a paramedic, I remember learning, "treat the patient, not the monitor ..." as a lot of medics tended to just read the cardiac monitor, and not watch the patients!

I tend to be EXTREMELY skepticall of the medical profession, though, because of what I went through with my husband, who died of small bowel cancer of "unknown origin ..." I researched his symptoms, and TOLD THE DOCTORS AGAIN AND AGAIN what he had ... no one would listen to a "mear paramedic ..." I WAS SPOT ON! Had they begun SOME type of treatment before the man was halfway to the grave, he may have had a chance! I am obviously angry, and I learned to question EVERYTHING human or animal docs say, before excepting it as gospel! So far, this has worked to my greyhounds' advantages, :-)) When both Dr. Beau and Dr. Dodds saw the MSU findings, they IMMEDIATELY recommened thyroid supplementation. The other vets ... "Oh, it is probably a brain tumor ... and loaded her with Pheno ahd Pred. ...

And, as you said, watching Goldie and treating her as herself, .... that is the key! At present, I am HAPPY :-) with what I see. :-))

Edited by Energy11