Goldie's Nights Are Getting Better! Holding Off On The Anipryl

Guest Energy11

I am so sorry that you are going through this with your Goldie. I have been following all of your posts and it is so obvious that you only want to do what is right for Goldie. With that kind of heart, any decision made with love will be the right one.

I know how hard it is to lose your girl at this time. You are in my heart and prayers.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice, just :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest Stripeyfan

I'm so sorry. I have no advice except to say that you know Goldie best and you will know when the time is right, and I am keeping you both in my thoughts. grouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Guest jessie1234

Dear Dee,

How awful for you. I cannot imagine the stress and pain this is causing you.

We had a grey through our program approximately 9 months ago, who started seizuring. A few weeks ago, he went down very quickly despite being on similar medications as Goldie. He became a danger to himself and the animals in the home and his owner made the heart wrenching call. He was only 3 and the sweetest big boy you could have met. His situation effected so many people within our group.

So sad. I hope it helps you to know you are not alone.

Lots of love

Guest greytbookert

Dee - I have no advice but wanted to send hugs and let you know that we are all with you and Goldie.

I know it isn't the same but when our Mama Ro was battling kidney failure, her nights were typically worse than days. She didn't bare teeth but she was afraid of something at night. It broke my heart to see her afraid, as her normal self wasn't afraid of anything. I guess what I'm saying is that I sort of know how you feel when your hound isn't quite your hound anymore.

I am so sorry. I am sad for you, sad for Goldie. :cry1

Last December, my Indy started to rapidly decline. He had been bleeding from the right nostril (from nasal cancer) and held his own for quite awhile. But, in time, Indy also could not get comfortable at night. No seizures or erratic behavior but it was only a matter of time before the tumor grew into his brain or pressed on his eye. (I took Indy for a CT scan so I saw the mass).

Indy never whined or complained but I observed that when he laid down he tried to keep his head vertical. Clearly certain positions caused him much pain or very unpleasant sensations.

There was nothing the vets could do. I would never have put him through radiation, chemo. Surgery was not an option. I did not want to overmedicate just to prolong the inevitable. So I decided to say goodbye. I loved Indy too much to watch him suffer.

I totally understand. Really. But if there is nothing you can really do to stop the inevitable ... well, I would say goodbye sooner than later out of love for Goldie.

Hugs.

Guest Energy11

Hello everyone.

First, let me thank you ALL SOOO MUCH for your kind thoughts, and sharing what you've been through. This is not new to me, having lost a husband to cancer, Energy, Dasher and Max, BUT ... this is NEVER easy, and I am VERY close to this girl.

Per both my vets, Dr. Karen here, and Dr. Beau in Florida (friend/former employer), I gave Goldie 10 mg of Valium right after her last potty run at 10:30 ... she whined, cried, paced and back for two hours afterward! :-( I have upped the pheno and pred, per both vets, and I guess I will try giving the Valium 1 hour prior to the last "turnout." ... NO MATTER, Goldie HAS to go to The Bridge.

I was thinking about tomorrow, and I have to talk to Dh about it. I, too, would like to spend the weekend with her, BUT, not if the meds aren't working anymore. NOT right for HER. I feel very sick to my stomach, and heart sick as well ... Unfortunately, MOST of you know this feeling.

Thank you for your continuing support! Dee

Dee, I am so very sorry you have to go through this. A year ago I didn't even know Bailey had cancer. You can see that within 48 hours I had to make a painful decision so i understand, I really do.

I have no words of wisdom, you'll know in your heart when and what you must do because of how much you love her. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thank God your dog has someone empathic like you who truly senses when everything has been given a chance of working, and when enough is enough.

With every dog I've sent to the Bridge at the vet's or at home over the years I have always been able to judge when their quality of life had tipped the balance and been able to get the vet on the same day (even a Sunday). It left me so sad that it was their time but content that there was this peaceful way of letting them go. I don't think I could keep a dog if I couldn't be sure I could limit their suffering at the end.

You've gone that extra mile and a dozen more for Goldie, a dog whose happy memories will be with you forever. I think they really do get to run free and totally healthy over there on the other side. :gh_runner

Just more :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I was hoping last night was better, I guess not. I've got you all tucked tightly in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

we have gone through almost EXACTLY what you are going through with Rainey!!!

the issues you are having at night are exactly what we had happen 2 weeks ago (and back in October) after her zonisamide was increased. She has had seizures since 8/17/2010 and we are still working on them. Hers have mainly been tonic clonic (former Grand Mal) but has had the focals too.

after having the MRI and spinal tap, and a $400 tick panel and multiple blood panels -- with nothing found -- on 11/24 I asked to have her thyroid checked (I assumed it had been done!) :(. SHE HAS A LEGITIMATE LOW THYROID -- even Dr. Couto confirmed it -- she is the 4th hound he has EVER seen that really has a low thyroid. We put her on thyroid meds on 11/29 -- and the next night those "weird" episodes returned -- and she had a seizure EVERY DAY for the next 4 days. HOWEVER -- she has not had one now since 12/4!!!

I know how horrible this is and how frustrating!!! Please perhaps have her thyroid checked, it's possible this is the same issue. If not, try the additional pheno -- Rainey was originally started on pheno, 2 x a day -- but we had horrible problems with her on it -- she barked, cried, whined CONTINUALLY on it and was beyond ravenously hungry on it. We then took her off that and started Keppra, then added zonisamide but nothing helped. Pheno is the BEST med for seizures. I know you know in your heart what is best and I hope you can figure this out!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Dee, I'm sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I am so sorry about Goldie and that she does not seem to be responding to her medication. I completely understand, as Claudia has said so many times, better a day too soon than a moment too late. Your description of her at night so scared and baring her teeth to you is absolutely heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you and Goldie.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Adrianne

Dee, I am so very sorry to read this. It breaks my heart; I know exactly where you are in your thinking and what you're feeling. It's so hard. I'm thinking about you and sweet Goldie.

Guest Energy11

the issues you are having at night are exactly what we had happen 2 weeks ago (and back in October) after her zonisamide was increased. She has had seizures since 8/17/2010 and we are still working on them. Hers have mainly been tonic clonic (former Grand Mal) but has had the focals too.

after having the MRI and spinal tap, and a $400 tick panel and multiple blood panels -- with nothing found -- on 11/24 I asked to have her thyroid checked (I assumed it had been done!) :(. SHE HAS A LEGITIMATE LOW THYROID -- even Dr. Couto confirmed it -- she is the 4th hound he has EVER seen that really has a low thyroid. We put her on thyroid meds on 11/29 -- and the next night those "weird" episodes returned -- and she had a seizure EVERY DAY for the next 4 days. HOWEVER -- she has not had one now since 12/4!!!

I know how horrible this is and how frustrating!!! Please perhaps have her thyroid checked, it's possible this is the same issue. If not, try the additional pheno -- Rainey was originally started on pheno, 2 x a day -- but we had horrible problems with her on it -- she barked, cried, whined CONTINUALLY on it and was beyond ravenously hungry on it. We then took her off that and started Keppra, then added zonisamide but nothing helped. Pheno is the BEST med for seizures. I know you know in your heart what is best and I hope you can figure this out!

Thanks for this info! Before Goldie had her focal seizures almost two weeks ago, she WAS already exhibiting "strange" behavior. Barking at night, running through the house, whining, but NOT like this. MY feelings are, and it was in the back of my mind then, too, that she did have a primary or secondary brain lesion (tumor) ... then, the seizures. IT COULD be the Phenobarb, but she's been on it long enough to adjust. I have three vets telling me this is either, a brain tumor and/or Dementia. AND, I noticed today she IS losing weight, and, as I mentioned previously has head "tics,", which are also indicative of brain tumors/swelling.

IF ONLY her nights were like her days. She seems OK/not great, but OK, during the day! I was soo hoping the pheno, pred, and Valium could help! Sending hugs your way. ... I think I have told you this, but Rainey looks a lot like Goldie! If I could use photobucket properly, I'd post some beautiful pix of Goldie.

Many hugs! DEE

Guest RiverCityGang

Oh, Dee, I'm so very sorry. This is such a hard decision to have to make, but you know what is best for Goldie. She is your girl and she trusts you to help her when she needs it. I had to do this in June for Rex, so I feel the pain you are dealing with now. Hugs to you and to Goldie.

Thanks for this info! Before Goldie had her focal seizures almost two weeks ago, she WAS already exhibiting "strange" behavior. Barking at night, running through the house, whining, but NOT like this. MY feelings are, and it was in the back of my mind then, too, that she did have a primary or secondary brain lesion (tumor) ... then, the seizures. IT COULD be the Phenobarb, but she's been on it long enough to adjust. I have three vets telling me this is either, a brain tumor and/or Dementia. AND, I noticed today she IS losing weight, and, as I mentioned previously has head "tics,", which are also indicative of brain tumors/swelling.

IF ONLY her nights were like her days. She seems OK/not great, but OK, during the day! I was soo hoping the pheno, pred, and Valium could help! Sending hugs your way. ... I think I have told you this, but Rainey looks a lot like Goldie! If I could use photobucket properly, I'd post some beautiful pix of Goldie.

Many hugs! DEE

I had 3 vets (including Dr. Couto) tell me it was a brain tumor with Rainey too, and the MRI proved it was not.

How long has she been on the pheno? I'm a little surprised they put her on it after only 2 focal seizures, they usually wait until 3 or a TC....

as far as how she was acting, I remember reading you said Goldie was acting like a pup at 10, and that's exactly what Rainey was/is doing too! (She's 10 as well). More ammo for the tumor theory, but again, it's not a tumor in Rainey's case.

Why did he put her on prednisone?

maybe she isn't reacting well to the pheno in general, maybe you can wean her off like we did and try another, there are many that have less side effects. Rainey was pretty wobbly for like 3 days when she started the Keppra (was on pheno still then too), but didn't have any problems with the 1st addition of the zonisamide (100 mg 2 x day) but had those "weird" episodes exactly like you are describing in October when we increased it to 200 mg 2 x day. At that time, it lasted for 4 days, then they stopped. This past time, she had them all at night, for 2-2.5 hours each time, and this was for 3 nights -- and she was barking, pacing, whining, forgot her housetraining, worse than the ones in October. How many nights has Goldie been like this?

I know how very hard this is, believe me. We've been going through this hell since August and only until we just now put her on the thyroid have we had ANY hope. The only problem is she is now acting aggressively towards us -- she has to sleep muzzled now as she's gone after us at least 6 times at night in bed. And she just now went after me viciously, she came running up to the sliding glass door outside and our freeking gutters are leaking so it was icy right by the door. I was outside the door and put out my arms and stopped her and she went after me. We are thinking (hoping) she has some kind of neck/back issue that's causing her pain and we are going to take her to a chiro for an adjustment, we hope it helps. So I know about the aggression, too :(

I guess you have to make the decision if it's in her best interest to keep trying :( :( I really feel for you. :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway