Goldie's Nights Are Getting Better! Holding Off On The Anipryl

Guest Energy11

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonthyroidal illness reduces T3.

Not good.

You're right, Dee, it's not extraneous. But I still hate to be having this discussion right in this thread when you, your family, and Goldie are having such a time of it and at the holidays to boot. And in all that snow! And feeling flu-y! Please take good care of yourself. I don't have to tell you to take good care of Goldie cuz I already know you will.

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy New Year.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Bumping ... new message from Dr. Jean Dodds, FROM AUSTRAILIA :-)) about Goldie's Thyroid! SHE SAYS TO SUPPLEMENT, AND I WILL! My wonderful friend and former vet/employer, said to do the same.

Guest Energy11

Dr. Dodds also mentioned CCD (Canine Cognitive Disorder) which some of you have mentioned, and has been in the back of my mind, too.

I just thought this out, and have decided to supplement Goldie's thyroid PER Dr. Dodds, and Dr. Beau, and slowly wean her off ALL other meds. Once this is done, I want to start her on Anipryl (for "Doggie Alzhemiers") and see how it goes. IF she starts to seize again, I know that isn't the right road, AND, I do have rectal Valium to stop the seizures, until I can get into a vet. I am NOT feeling good about all the heavy meds she is on, ... Phenobarbitol, Prednisone, and Valium. It worth a try for this girl, for sure!

Your continuing thoughts and prayers will be greatly appreciated! Love, Dee and Goldie!

:gh_bow Woo-hoo!

So glad you got some vet support for this approach! How soon can she get started? (I can well imagine that Dr. Beau would open his doors just for you and Goldie, holiday or no!)

I'm sure all us GTer's will be hoping and praying that this does the trick. I'd settle for "better", don't need "perfect." You tell Goldie to take those hormones and put them to good use riteawayquik!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Way back when, I started to follow Goldie's journey but with work and the end of a school semester ... I cannot say I'm up on the latest (and I don't have time to read all the posts!); however, I applaud you for at least being receptive to trying thyroid meds. No harm, no foul. Give it six weeks.

I know there are many who vote a hard no on this but I've had two hounds (now going on three) on thyroid meds and I absolutely believe it saved their lives.

The male hound I adopted last March (now pushing 10; former racer and resident pet blood bank donor) has been a beyond complicated conundrum. Black in color, extremely sparse coat (bald neck, chest, belly, butt, thighs, rat tail). Many cysts and funky skin growths. Irregular and sloppy stools - still (negative fecal, no parasites. Tick panel negative.). Sleep startle and occasional inappropriate behavior with the other dogs. Intense daily scratching and licking (including genitals and bumhole). Extremely sensitive temperament and overly reactive at times. Little confidence. Separation anxiety issues and inappropriate peeing in the house.

In March, I asked the vet to run a thyroid panel (sent to MSU). All results were within normal limits although many were at the very low end of the reference range - except FT3, which was low.

In mid-November, at my wit's end with this dog, I started him on low-dose thyroid meds -- 0.35 mg twice per day; new dog weighs 65 lbs (I split Indy's leftover 0.7 mg thyroid meds)

A few weeks ago I also took him for nutritional muscle testing -- thyroid issues surfaced as problem #1.

I noted the other day that he is sprouting some fur on this neck and seems a bit calmer, more emotionally stable and cooperative.

I traveled this very same path with my first hound Indy. I had four thyroid panels run and three vets who said he was clinically "normal." That may have been "clinically" true but once I started Indy on thyroid meds all of his nebulous ailments, aggressive behavior, skin and bowel movement issues, hair loss - all resolved.

It's a slow process - one that you have to monitor closely - but I swear on my life so many of the goofy behaviors and ailments that I read about on GT are probably indirectly related to untreated thyroid issues.

It's not as simple as "gee, look you have a broken arm." Untreated thyroid issues wreak slow havoc on the body and are NOT as obvious as a broken bone.

I wish the best for you and Goldie. Thank you for not giving up on her. Have faith and continue to be her advocate. :)

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest Energy11

:gh_bow Woo-hoo!

So glad you got some vet support for this approach! How soon can she get started? (I can well imagine that Dr. Beau would open his doors just for you and Goldie, holiday or no!)

I'm sure all us GTer's will be hoping and praying that this does the trick. I'd settle for "better", don't need "perfect." You tell Goldie to take those hormones and put them to good use riteawayquik!

Dr. Beau is already on this, OF COURSE! "-) ( *** BUT, he is in Florida, though). I am also going to ask him for Anipryl, too. The plan is, to SLOWLY wean her off ALL meds, ... the Pheno, the Pred, and the Valium ... starting her on Dr. Dodd's dosage of thyroid supplement, and then, Anipryl (for CCD). Again, if she starts to seize, we do have the rectal Valium, and we can see the vet as well. I JUST HAPPEN to have in "my pharmacy ," ... and yes, I have one, including Levotabs 0.8 mg ... which is what Dr. Beau recommended yesterday. I will start tomorrow! ... I HOPE this works, and you know ... she is worth it! Thank God for second, third, and fourth opinions! I have always been in total favor of these!

The plan is, to SLOWLY wean her off ALL meds, ... the Pheno, the Pred, and the Valium ... starting her on Dr. Dodd's dosage of thyroid supplement, and then, Anipryl (for CCD). Again, if she starts to seize, we do have the rectal Valium, and we can see the vet as well. I JUST HAPPEN to have in "my pharmacy ," ... and yes, I have one, including Levotabs 0.8 mg ... which is what Dr. Beau recommended yesterday. I will start tomorrow! ... I HOPE this works, and you know ... she is worth it! Thank God for second, third, and fourth opinions! I have always been in total favor of these!

ummm... didn't you already wean her off the pheno, pred and valium? or am I missing something? :unsure

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

The plan is, to SLOWLY wean her off ALL meds, ... the Pheno, the Pred, and the Valium ... starting her on Dr. Dodd's dosage of thyroid supplement, and then, Anipryl (for CCD). Again, if she starts to seize, we do have the rectal Valium, and we can see the vet as well. I JUST HAPPEN to have in "my pharmacy ," ... and yes, I have one, including Levotabs 0.8 mg ... which is what Dr. Beau recommended yesterday. I will start tomorrow! ... I HOPE this works, and you know ... she is worth it! Thank God for second, third, and fourth opinions! I have always been in total favor of these!

ummm... didn't you already wean her off the pheno, pred and valium? or am I missing something? :unsure

Yes, I did wean her off prior to the testing. Then, per the vet here, slowly started her back onto these meds. It truly HAS been a roller coaster!

I'm so glad to hear this!!! Thyroid can cause all sorts of craziness, some of which Carl is still working through (new odd skin problems have developed). I'm just going to put this out there, when Carl was diagnosed as hypothyroid I started him on some generic form of thyroid medication my vet gave us. After a period of time, and reading other's accounts of generic vs name brand, I asked the vet to prescribe Soloxine. Once I switched Carl to Soloxine (same dosage) I started seeing real changes. You might want to consider starting her on what you have until you can get her Soloxine. I pray this will be just what Goldie needs.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

I'm so glad to hear this!!! Thyroid can cause all sorts of craziness, some of which Carl is still working through (new odd skin problems have developed). I'm just going to put this out there, when Carl was diagnosed as hypothyroid I started him on some generic form of thyroid medication my vet gave us. After a period of time, and reading other's accounts of generic vs name brand, I asked the vet to prescribe Soloxine. Once I switched Carl to Soloxine (same dosage) I started seeing real changes. You might want to consider starting her on what you have until you can get her Soloxine. I pray this will be just what Goldie needs.

Yes, I agree on the Soloxine. I have heard this from a lot of people. I have generic here, but will get 1 800 Pet Meds to call Dr. B. tomorrow, for the Soloxine. Hope this all works!!! It is going to be CRAZY for a while, I think.

Yes, I agree on the Soloxine. I have heard this from a lot of people. I have generic here, but will get 1 800 Pet Meds to call Dr. B. tomorrow, for the Soloxine. Hope this all works!!! It is going to be CRAZY for a while, I think.

Hey, Dee, having just priced Soloxine (it was time to reorder for Carl) Drs Foster Smith has the best price I could find for name brand Soloxine and they ship fast!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Dee,

I'm glad you decided to contact Jean, no matter where in the world she is, she will always respond.

No doubt her critics will chime in, but I'm glad you reached to her

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Dee,

I'm glad you decided to contact Jean, no matter where in the world she is, she will always respond.

No doubt her critics will chime in, but I'm glad you reached to her

I, too, am GLAD! Everything she said, makes sense, and, as I mentioned, my former vet/employer and friend, said the SAME, even before I contacted Jean! I am going to do what she says, with help from Dr. B! WE DON'T KNOW that Goldie has a brain lesion, and right now, they have her sooo heavily medicated! I want to see what the thyroid supplementation, and the Anipryl will do to help her, and go from there.

Hugs to you and the furkids! Dee

Hey, Dee, having just priced Soloxine (it was time to reorder for Carl) Drs Foster Smith has the best price I could find for name brand Soloxine and they ship fast!

I think that's where I get Passion's from. I got the largest bottle possible.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Energy11

Thanks everyone for all your love, hugs and prayers! I am about to embark on a new journey with this "thing," Goldie has, and it is WONDERFUL to know you are all there with us! Love, Dee and Goldie!

Guest bluefawn

Hi Dee! I am just getting on GT today after a long absence. I am so sorry to hear of Goldie's illness. I read every post from beginning to end. I can't offer any advice, as I know she is in the best of hands! I know you and John love her dearly, and that you will know when or IF the time comes to help her to the Bridge. But I also know that you will exhaust all options because you love her and she is family! I do want to send much love and prayers hope.gif for Goldie and for all of you as you go through this ordeal. I hope that you will have a definitive answer soon!

Love you!