Goldie's Nights Are Getting Better! Holding Off On The Anipryl

Guest Energy11

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Hey All!

WE ARE SNOWED IN up here, literally! I am HOPING our road guy gets here today with his big tractor!!!!

Goldie has been off the Pred and Pheno since Jan. 5th, and on the generic Soloxine since a week ago today. So far, so good. Her nights seem a lot better ... it doesn't last as long, AND, she hasn't been trying to show teeth and bite!!! ***HER OWN Solixine (*she is using Curfew's now), and the Anipryl, are still not here, due to weather conditions in Atlanta. :-( I tracked the package, and it is stuck down there. I WAS hoping to get her started on the above.

To me, for the most part, my girl IS improving!

All your prayers and good thoughts have undoubtedly helped!!

Love, Dee and Goldie.

Edited by Energy11

Great news, except for the snow, but your household is probably in better shape all the way around for this bout of weather than the last one, yes?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Great news, except for the snow, but your household is probably in better shape all the way around for this bout of weather than the last one, yes?

Well.... we have a generator this time, but, the power hasn't gone out ... go figure!

THE SOUTH cannot deal with snow removal! I mean, they really aren't equipped. I remember a foot or better in NY, and we'd be going to school or work the next day. HERE? ... Eight inches .. Atlanta crippled, and we are snowed in till and IF, our road guy comes.... bless his soul!

Last time, we had my son and his GF here, so we HAD to clear the road for them to get to the airport. MORE ICE with this one, and I just worry, as right now, until Ronnie plows, we CANNOT get down this mountain :-( No 4WD, either.

Goldie LOVES the snow, though, but I am keeping them in the small pen, as IF someone breaks something, that is something I cannot fix!

Thanks for the good wishes!

Attention all "Southerners": SNOW IS NOT "PRETTY" UNLESS YOU ARE WATCHING IT ON TELEVISION! Just ask Dee! The "what if" factor makes it so hard to cope. Now if every state was required to have snow removal equipment to handle 18" of snow, it would be a different story. Not fun being stranded in an emergency. Ok, enough of that rant.

So glad to hear that Goldie is showing such specific improvement! Thank goodness she has you for her Mom! You fought so hard to make sure that every last possibility was explored. And, I'm right there with you on the medical profession, be it human or canine. My "education" started on July 5, 1972. Long story, but suffice it to say that it wasn't pretty.

Wish I could be there to give all of you a great big hug, so this will have to do. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Energy11

Attention all "Southerners": SNOW IS NOT "PRETTY" UNLESS YOU ARE WATCHING IT ON TELEVISION! Just ask Dee! The "what if" factor makes it so hard to cope. Now if every state was required to have snow removal equipment to handle 18" of snow, it would be a different story. Not fun being stranded in an emergency. Ok, enough of that rant.

So glad to hear that Goldie is showing such specific improvement! Thank goodness she has you for her Mom! You fought so hard to make sure that every last possibility was explored. And, I'm right there with you on the medical profession, be it human or canine. My "education" started on July 5, 1972. Long story, but suffice it to say that it wasn't pretty.

Wish I could be there to give all of you a great big hug, so this will have to do. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Aw Gee! A big hug to you, as well.

I LOVE snow, but, as you said, it can be VERY scary and, if an emergency arises ... forget it! A few inches are wonderful, but not the eight we got :-( ... Still waiting on the plow guy, too :-( I REALLY feel for the people stranded on the interstates in the Greater Atlanta Area .... what a mess!

I surely hope Goldie continues improving, and we ALL stay healthy up here :-))

Hey Dee! Looking for a Goldie update as well as a snow/ice update. Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been helping find a lost hound who was found tonight. Fingers crossed for a continued good Goldie update.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

Hi All! Sorry it took so long for an update, but until yesterday, I had nothing to add!

WE FINALLY got down into town yesterday! We had to MEET UP WITH UPS, who had the Soloxine and Anipryl for Goldie, as he could not get up the "county maintained," or our private roads!

She is doing well! Her nights seem bettter! I am still having to give her oral Valium to calm her at night, as she still runs through the house and barks, whines and stares at the ceiling. No more AGGRESSIVE behavior, though! Last night, she DID take a running leap onto the couch, where TWO dogs were sleeping! Luckily, no one got hurt! UGH!!

The Anipryl and Soloxine 0.6 mg, came yesterday! She is already taking the Soloxine, ... no longer taking Curfew's .. and I will wait to start the Anipryl till Monday ... when a "non EVET" is on duty, ... just in case.

That is about it! The snow is melting, BUT, there are still a lot of people here in the mountains who cannot get off their roads! Snow and ice removal here is NOT like up north!

Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts for my Goldie!

Many hugs! DEE

Glad to hear that you're making some progress, Dee.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

My thanks for everyone who is pulling for Goldie! I KNOW it has made a HUGE difference! She starts the Anipryl tomorrow, as I want a vet to be around ... just in case!

Last night, she ran through the house like a puppy ... and barking, howling, etc. ... NOT appropriate behavior for a ten yr old dog! Her mind must think she is two, but her body is ten! It cannot take what she is trying to do, so that is a worry as well.

The aggression, biting and snapping has stopped :-), and she like us to pet her and she holds hands! My girl is about 70% at this point, but, she is still here with us!!!!!!!!

The situation in Georgia is improving thanks to above-freezing temps on Friday and Saturday.

5346579088_4504a6b517.jpg

DSC02749 by KF-in-Georgia, on Flickr

That was my street in the metro Atlanta area. We had snow (about 5 inches), then sleet that froze into a half-inch of solid ice. The street is all ice (the tracks are from a neighbor's truck that left early Monday, during the snow and before the sleet). The ground covering was snow with a thick crust of ice over the top. My dogs hated it since they crashed through the ice with every step. I worried about cuts to my dogs' feet (a friend's dog had that happen). I also worried about my dogs slipping on the ice and falling and breaking a bone since I don't know how I could have gotten an injured dog to the e-vet. I took the dogs out one at a time. When Sam hits ice, he tries to bound forward; when Jacey hits ice, she jumps backwards; when I hit ice, I try to stop and just move very slowly. Three of us heading in three different directions was a recipe for disaster.

You know the USPS adage about "Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor gloom of night..." Yeah. I got my first piece of mail on Saturday. UPS and FedEx were helpless, too.

But at least I'm in the metro area. Lots of hills, but no absolute mountains, such as Dee faces. The only thing the snow got right was its timing: it started Sunday evening, and by Monday morning it was obvious that you couldn't travel on Atlanta roads. The dogs and I spent most of our time cuddled in bed.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Last night, she ran through the house like a puppy ... and barking, howling, etc. ... NOT appropriate behavior for a ten yr old dog! Her mind must think she is two, but her body is ten! It cannot take what she is trying to do, so that is a worry as well.

You know, I had the same response to beginning thyroid medicine after having been laid really low by one thing after another for the previous two years! I'm pretty sure I appeared to be manic, so glad was I to be able to interact again with the outside world! I can't remember how long it took me to settle down and be less gleeful when I was pleased, but I think it was a matter of weeks, not days. So do be very careful (I know you will) with that Anipryl. Still happy for you, though!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

The situation in Georgia is improving thanks to above-freezing temps on Friday and Saturday.

5346579088_4504a6b517.jpg

DSC02749 by KF-in-Georgia, on Flickr

That was my street in the metro Atlanta area. We had snow (about 5 inches), then sleet that froze into a half-inch of solid ice. The street is all ice (the tracks are from a neighbor's truck that left early Monday, during the snow and before the sleet). The ground covering was snow with a thick crust of ice over the top. My dogs hated it since they crashed through the ice with every step. I worried about cuts to my dogs' feet (a friend's dog had that happen). I also worried about my dogs slipping on the ice and falling and breaking a bone since I don't know how I could have gotten an injured dog to the e-vet. I took the dogs out one at a time. When Sam hits ice, he tries to bound forward; when Jacey hits ice, she jumps backwards; when I hit ice, I try to stop and just move very slowly. Three of us heading in three different directions was a recipe for disaster.

You know the USPS adage about "Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor gloom of night..." Yeah. I got my first piece of mail on Saturday. UPS and FedEx were helpless, too.

But at least I'm in the metro area. Lots of hills, but no absolute mountains, such as Dee faces. The only thing the snow got right was its timing: it started Sunday evening, and by Monday morning it was obvious that you couldn't travel on Atlanta roads. The dogs and I spent most of our time cuddled in bed.

WOW!! Looks like our road did! Had we not had it plowed, we STILL might not have been able to get down and back up! The county road, leading up to our road, is still icy in spots, and a mess! They were going to have kids go to school today, to make up for missing ALL of last week, but, Gilmer County said the roads here, for the most part, are just too dangerous! Amazing, how something that would be nothing up north, crippled all of us!

I have confined my dogs to the small front pen, which has straw in it, to avoid injuries, cuts, etc. I am hoping they can go out in their larger pen tomorrow. As you said, at least is is above freezing, so this stuff can melt off the roads!

Guest Stripeyfan

Really pleased to hear Goldie's improving! Haven't been able to get on GT much since before Xmas so I'm just catching up with all the threads in the bits of spare time I have at the moment... this made me colgate.gif! Sending more hugs and good thoughts yours and Goldie's way though as you can always use them, right? smile.gif And sympathy for the snow problems too!! The UK came to a grinding halt when we had ours before Xmas - no mail, no buses, no nothing, 6 inches of ice on all the roads where we live with 2 ft of snow on top... I had to have a stern word with Kelly and tell him he absolutely could not do anything that required a vet visit because there's no way we'd've gotten there! Luckily, he listened...!

When Kelly began to recover from his IBD, which had laid him really low (last April he'd gone down to 59lb - he's now up to 81 which the vet says is his ideal weight, so you can imagine how dreadful he looked) and we were able to lower his pred dose, he acted like a crazy puppy for a few weeks - we think it was because he felt so much better!

very glad to hear she is back to her wonderful self :) :) :) Pheno is a monster to some dogs (like ours :()

you guys have always been in my prayers and I have tracked every reply/update on this (even if I didn't post a reply every time :):blush )

hugs to Goldie and all of you. :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Energy11

very glad to hear she is back to her wonderful self :) :) :) Pheno is a monster to some dogs (like ours :()

you guys have always been in my prayers and I have tracked every reply/update on this (even if I didn't post a reply every time :):blush )

hugs to Goldie and all of you. :bighug

Thank you sooo much for your kind words and thoughts! Your girl, Rainey, is always in MY thoughts and prayers as well! In your siggie picture, she looks sooo much like my Goldie! I wish Rainey didn't have to be on the Pheno, I really really do! Give her a huge hug for me, too! Sending love and hugs your way!

Wonderful news Dee! I always check for an update and am so glad to hear how much she has improved. Your posts may help those of us who may face similar situations.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We're thrilled for you and Goldie, Dee! And if your case doesn't persuade people to advocate that their greyhounds' thyroids be attended to, I don't know what will. Which reminds me, has anyone heard how Rainey is doing?