Fuzzy Is Going Downhill

Fuzzy has been on Deramaxx since the end of September. First started at 1/2 tablet, then 1/4 after having severe diarrhea. I took him off the medication for 4 days last week, after his last bout of stomach problems, really bad gas and then the diarrhea. He was doing great off the meds, and I thought his back was healed. He was running and playing and just like a pup last Saturday. Saturday night, he was not going up the stairs and slept in his crate in the family room. Sunday morning I put him back on the Deramaxx until I could speak with his orthopedist who does not come in until Tuesday; today.

Last night the gas started, again, and Len said the Fuzz Man had diarrhea this morning. He has been laying in one place and not moving for most of the morning. A few minutes ago, I noticed that none of the dogs were laying in the crate. Someone always is. Sure enough, it was soaked. Fuzzy must have peed over night. I know that these are symptoms of reaction to the Deramaxx.

I am so upset for this dog; he is only 6 years old. I will ask the ortho about yucca and what else is available, but I know most anti inflamatories create stomach problems. I don't know if he is getting any worth while pain relief from the meds anymore. Today he has not moved since breakfast.

My heart hurts for my sweet dog and I don't know how to help him. I am crying as I write this.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh poor Fuzzy! Have you tried acupuncture? How about Traumeel (homeopathic pain remedy)? What is his diagnosis?

Where do you get this?

Oh poor Fuzzy! Have you tried acupuncture? How about Traumeel (homeopathic pain remedy)? What is his diagnosis?

Where do you get this?

This one is about an hour from you.

accupuncture clinic for pets Maybe they'll know if there is one closer to you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Irene - I'm so very sad to hear sweet Fuzzy is hurting. I forget how far you are from the kennel, but please check this website out. It's far, far more than a spay/neuter clinic. http://www.aceofspays.com/ Wonderful vets. We both know a number of hounds that have been seen here with good results. Prayers for The Fuzz Man and hugs for you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I am so sorry to read this Irene!

I do know that although the anti inflammatory meds are the same in basics, some do better on one vs the other.

I have found acupuncture to help a great deal depending on the issue, and I also use Traumeel Gel.

Keeping you all in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry, i sure hope you can get some relief for Fuzzy soon :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Sorry to hear that Fuzzy is having so many problems. A couple of thoughts. First, a reaction to one NSAID does not mean a reaction to another. Neyla cannot take Rimadyl (her platelet count drops), but she has been taking Deramaxx for over 6 months successfully. So you might consider trying Rimadyl or Metacamm for instance. You do need a washout period of 7 days in b/w though.

The other option if you feel the Deramaxx is really helping would be to try to mitigate the side effects. Deramaxx needs to be given with food, and you can give a pepcid 30 minutes beforehand. My vet also recently started Neyla on carafate b/c she was concerned about the risk of gastric ulcers (we're using higher dosages long term b/c of Neyla's osteo). Carafate coats and protects the stomach, that may be another option for you. Dosing is tricky though (2 hrs away from meds on either side, we're giving it 3x/day).

I don't know if it would help Fuzzy, but you can give Tramadol safely with NSAIDs and at pretty high doses. So you may be able to use that regularly and only give the Deramaxx on bad days, or at least lower the Deramaxx dosage.

I do think it's worthwhile to investigate natural remedies. There are quite a few used for inflammation in addition to yucca - bromelain, curcumin, and boswellia to name a few. Acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments may also be a good option depending on his dx.

I hope that helps some. Don't give up hope just yet, there are lots of options for you still.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest taylorsmom

Where do you get this?

I don't know if you have one near you but I have gotten it at Whole Foods--it comes in small pills and gel form, and I also think there is now a liquid form which would be perfect to administer to dogs--just a quick squirt in the mouth!

I saw Traumeel at my local drugstore yesterday. I can send you some from NYC if you want.

Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts for Fuzzy.

The other thing that I know my vet does is the injections of Adequan which can help with arthritis pain. You can (apparently, but I am a wuss) get the meds from the vet and do the injections yourself.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Irene, Silver is 11, so in that regard this is different... but he has the beginnings of LSS (lumbarsacral stenosis) AND some bad discs mid-back. Dr. Pam says he doesn't have a blown disc but we're trying to keep it that way.

We hadn't been doing any acupuncture with him because of his being post-mast cell cancer, but he's been all clear for almost 2 years now and she felt it was the best course of action for his back issues.

We started with acupuncture after she examined him, following classic LSS start up symptoms (his gait was off and he was unable to control/unaware of his poop). That helped, plus I had already started the Traumeel (which I get from my chiropractor and take occasionally myself, it's a homeopathic; I would think you could google sources online, it's a really good thing to have on hand for hounds and people.) Because she also found that he had a lot of pain mid-back also, he was put on a week of Resinall E (By Health Concerns), this with the Traumeel and acupuncture helped hugely. Then I was going to start him on Duhuo and Loranthus Forumula (by Golden Flower Chinese Herbs)as a similar forumla which could be given ongoing. Silver, however, didn't tolerate that as well (I understand this is very rare as it is usually well-tolerated), and went completely off his food for 3 or 4 days. That's really unusual for him, he almost always eats well. I will try it again, maybe starting at 1 a day and building up.

So when we saw Dr. Pam for the second acupuncture session this Thursday, we put him back on another week of the Resinall E and she recommended Acetelator for a while along with a good probiotic. I'm a bit pinched for cash right now so I used the Digestive enzyme powder I had on hand (instead of the Acetelator, which Is a great product) and some of my probiotic tabs ... He is much more comfortable and 'brighter', his appetite is coming back and while I still need to walk him to get him to 'go' (he won't in the yard any more), he is not having accidents in the house (which I don't care about except it distresses him so much.)

I'm also adding slippery elm bark powder in small amounts to his meals as that is a specific for tummy and gut healing and is completely safe and nutritious and doesn't interfere with anything else.

In my opinion, just adding a different anti-inflamatory isn't going to do it. The acupuncture, aceltelator, probiotics and a course of Resinall E would probably go a lot further and may be more of a cure rather than a cover up. Wishing you well.. let me know how he's doing!!

Irene - I'm so very sad to hear sweet Fuzzy is hurting. I forget how far you are from the kennel, but please check this website out. It's far, far more than a spay/neuter clinic. http://www.aceofspays.com/ Wonderful vets. We both know a number of hounds that have been seen here with good results. Prayers for The Fuzz Man and hugs for you.

This was the first place I took him. My regular vet also does acupuncture. I am waiting to hear from the orthopedist today.

Guest Swifthounds

While it's true that all NSAIDs carry the risk of gastric upset and also liver issues, they don't all have the same effects. Perhaps what you need is to try a different one? There are also other pain options like Tramadol gabapentin, etc.

Other options either in place of or in addition to traditional medications are alternative supplements like yucc, boswellia, and Zeel products. I tend to go this route first or as a primary mode of addressing pain/inflammation and add traditional meds as needed.

For the time being, I would go with the best compromise of pain relief with as few side effects. Long term, I would look into some of the alternative, less liver toxic choices.

:grouphug

I agree with the rest, a different pain medicine, even another NSAID, might not cause the same side effects. Fletcher has arthritis in his shoulders and has IBD. He tolerates Metacam ok, but I've been giving him Traumeel tablets (0ne in the morning, one at night) for a few years and it keeps him from limping with no side effects. It does also come in a liquid. I also heartily endorse acupuncture, but I would wait to see if his doctor thinks it would be right for him.

:bighug Fuzzy

I haven't read every post. My first dog had neck/back issues for the last 3 or 4 years of her life. I hate to say it but the only thing that helped was to not let her run, period. Leash walks and supervision outside to keep her from getting ramped up. Pepcid before each meal and meds never given on an empty stomach. Every single time we got lax about letting her exercise, she suffered for it :(

I'm sorry that Fuzzy is going through this :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Poor Fuzzy!

Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

:grouphug:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Turns out Dr. Davis isn't in today; on vacation. I asked to speak with another orthopedist and she called back immediately. Her suggestion is 1/4 tablet every other day and tramadol at night since it might make him tired. I asked about traumeel, yucca, or metacam. She said, though she never prescribed it, that people have had good success with yucca and traumeel. She thought the deramaxx one day and one of the holistic meds the next. So I went to the health food store and purchased both as well as the slippery elm for the diarrhea. I have to say, he has not had diarrhea since the morning. The doctor said not to try the yucca and traumeel together, as I won't know which one is working. She also said, Fuzzy might have over done it on Saturday, when he was feeling so good.

Then it seems, my phone did not signal call waiting and Dr. Davis called while I was on another call. He said he has no office hours on Thursday, but he will be in doing surgeries and I should call him then.

That's where we are tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, advice and good thoughts. I just want my boy to feel well.

Guest jettcricket

It's such an awful feeling when our babies are hurting...glad to hear that his diarrhea has stopped. That's a good sign...hugs to your baby boy and you. Hope he continues to improve....