Am I Deluded?

Guest Rajiraj

Perhaps you have a neighbour who will walk for dog because she wants to, and at a cheaper rate than professional walkers? My dog walker, also a neighbour, charges $25 per week for two dogs.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a green space out the front of our building and a large park 5 mins walk away, so it should be an enjoyable experience most of the time.

Readily admit to being less that sugar coated at times, but would that enjoyable "most of the time" include the 11 hours a day you are gone and the other 8 hours when it also has to be apart from you because of the bedroom rugs and furnishings. :huh

Perhaps you have a neighbour who will walk for dog because she wants to, and at a cheaper rate than professional walkers? My dog walker, also a neighbour, charges $25 per week for two dogs.

Yes, as suggested. Pre dog door when I worked 10 hour days my stay at home neighbor came over and let them out for $3. Worked for us.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

and the other 8 hours when it also has to be apart from you because of the bedroom rugs and furnishings. :huh

The OP didn't necessarily say that the dog couldn't sleep with him. It sounded to me like he was saying the dog wouldn't have access to those spaces when they weren't home.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My only input is that when you adopt a dog, any breed,....you have to be willing to allow your life to change to accommodate that dog. There is just no way your life can remain exactly the same when you add another member to your family.

If you don't want anything to change and want everything to remain exactly as it is today but just slot a dog into the mix, then I'd say don't get a dog. You'll just be setting yourself and the dog up for failure. If you still think a dog is for you, then you just have to know that as much as you plan, as much as you try to control a situation (for example, chewing or potty training)...sometimes it's wildly unpredictable. ~laughs~ You just have to know whether or not you're a roll with it kinda person.

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just an observation:

These two comments jumped out at me more than any other

1)"intolerant of chaos"

2)"our lives would be to some extent 'held hostage' by the timetable of a third party"

It would appear if I read between the lines your interest in a hound seems to be that of you want a relationship of convenience for you. You should want a dog, or any other living creature for that matter, for the companionship as well as the understanding that you are repsonsible for said creature and this entails a certain amount of sacrafice. It would appear from your few posts that you don't really have a desire to sacrafice for the sake of another creature.

This is in no way meant to insult or judge you, but you must realize that you came asking for candid comments. I believe you and your significant other need to do some serious soul searching and understand the full ramifications of adopting a living creature and the responsibility that it brings before making the 10 year commitment that a greyhound would require.

Maybe a fishtank would be a good start?

Guest Rajiraj

It's interesting to me that while the earlier responses were generally constructive, the latter ones have tended towards a more sarcastic or lecturing tone. I wonder why that is. Perhaps having followed on from a number of measured and straightforward responses, people feel the need to become more provocative to get noticed. Anyway, you have been noticed and I hope you feel satisfied!

It's interesting to me that while the earlier responses were generally constructive, the latter ones have tended towards a more sarcastic or lecturing tone. I wonder why that is. Perhaps having followed on from a number of measured and straightforward responses, people feel the need to become more provocative to get noticed. Anyway, you have been noticed and I hope you feel satisfied!

Welcome to GT :lol Happens all the time. Don't take it personally, ok? Concentrate on the constructive comments and ignore the snarkiness.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you are making reference to my comments as lecturing, you should know that I work with multiple adoption groups and returns are a common occurance that we must keep our eyes open for. Your posts do raise some red flags. As I stated I am not judging you or insulting you, I am honestly trying to get you to take an honest look at your true feelings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to make the sacrafice that a dog requires. Heck my wife and I are not planning on having kids for just that reason, we do not want the repsonsibility. In the end if you are not truthful to yourself and others the only one that will lose is the hound (believe me, from having to watch the hound stand at the door for hours after its owners have dropped him off at my house)...

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

And while SOME dogs can hold it that long--I don't think there is anyone who would suggest leaving a dog alone that long every day without a dog walker or a dog door is a good idea.

After thought- just because they might be able to, doesn't mean they should. 11 hours is a long time. That wouldn't work for me. There''s always a little dog you can use wee wee pads with.

It doesn't get to 17 (somewhere around -6 C) in Melbourne very often.

Good point, how about rain, like torrential rain. Still have to walk them for as long as it takes. it does rain in Melbourne, right?B)

Oh geez, I had to walk mine a few weeks ago when Chicago had their "WORST STORM OF THE CENTURY!" hype. It wasn't Armageddon, but it was WINDY, poured like the dickens, and still we walked for an hour because both puppies needed to empty out and find the perfect poop spots. And you can't walk two large dogs and still carry an umbrella. It's all part of the fun. :rolleyes:

Now, aint that the truth!!!!!!:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest iconsmum

In reply to your very first question ---YES

In reply to your last question ---------YES

Save everyone a lot of anguish, Greyhounds are not for you.

Get a Zen garden

or a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird motorbike .

Not a Greyhound

I have to say I agree with this post. You're not doing a dog any favour just because it's in a house if you're asking it to be solitary for 11 hours every day - that's more like punishment.

`

or any other dog for that matter :) .

Or not......

I would say the answer to both questions are MAYBE. I think it's natural and understandable to have an idealized vision of how you would like your future to work out with a new pet. Then the pet comes in, reality comes into play and most ppl will adjust their expectations and their lifestyle to adjust to it. They will often find they were not really as 'set in stone' as they once thought as they grow to love their new family member. Many of us will say that becoming pet owners has changed our lives for the better. (It doesn't matter what species or breed either)

When I came into greyhounds I didn't even think I wanted a dog at all! I was thinking along the lines of a bunny or a bird. I came across greyhounds by accident really and started doing research and I took the plunge. When I adopted my first grey I was living in a rental house with no fenced yard. I work full time outside of the home, so my dog was alone for 10-12 hrs a day sometimes. Yet he adjusted and even thrived here. I also adjusted and learned to tweak certain areas of my life to accommodate him.

Were there bumps on the road? You betcha! The time he looked straight at me and peed all over the carpet. All the times he stole baked goods off of the counter (my bad after the first time I think!) The times when he needed to see a vet when it wasn't convenient for me for various and sundry reasons. Every bump on the road was a learning experience for me that I will never regret. Greyhounds aren't my whole life, but they have changed my life for the better and I will never be without one. I have adopted 5 so far (not all at the same time of course) and they have lived healthy and happy lives with me. In fact with the last two I was approached by the adoption groups who needed a certain type of home that I was happy to provide.

Yeah there are things I've done to accommodate my dogs. I bought a house with a fenced yard. I then modified the fenced yard to incorporate a 'dog yard' where they could pee/poop/dig if they needed to. I then went on to install a dog door so that leashed potty breaks were not an inconvenience to me. I chalk it ALL up to 'the things we do for love'.

NOW can you just imagine if I had been shot down by such a person as the one I am quoting when I was a newbie?

Edited by sheila

Guest lasharp1209

Would fostering be feasible for you? Assuming you could find a mid-day dog walker. It is a great way to evaluate to see whether your lifestyle would be conducive to having a dog.

Get a Zen garden

or a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird motorbike .

Not a Greyhound

I have to agree.

Why do you want a dog if you're never home?!?!?

You just do not have the time that a dog - any dog - needs.

You are gone from home for 11 hours a day. This is MUCH too long for a dog to be alone. Even if a dog walker comes in during the day and the dog gets to go out and pee, 11 hours is too much time for a dog to be alone.

This time does not include the time it takes you to get ready to leave for work or the time it takes to cook/eat when you get home.

This is why dogs chew up things and make other sorts of messes...they are bored and need companionship.

And of course,you must also sleep. Even if it is just for 6 hours. SO there is a minimum of 18 hours a day that the dog will be ignored.

Get a cat. They like to be left alone!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest buttonwillow

I live in a flat and walk Josie four times a day. We have no yard, but there is a large park very close by. I thought it would be harder than it is, frankly. I find that I actually enjoy spending the time outside. Never expected that!

I work relatively close by and can come home most days for a midday walk, but on occasion have left her for 8 or 9 hours, maybe once or twice a month. I wouldn't do it every day just because I know it must be uncomfortable for her sometimes. I have a dogwalker I can call in an emergency, also.

I do think that 11 hours alone is too long, and lonely, especially for a dog who grew up surrounded by other dogs at all times. Since they are pack animals it must be difficult for them to be alone very long. I can understand wanting a dog even though you have responsibilities keeping you away from home for long periods, though. I think maybe hold off until your situation changes.

Guest Jubilee251

In the end if you are not truthful to yourself and others the only one that will lose is the hound (believe me, from having to watch the hound stand at the door for hours after its owners have dropped him off at my house)...

That is so sad. :(

Guest cwholsin

it might be worth suggesting that you try fostering a greyhound until it is adopted. That way you can get your 'dog legs' under you before you have made that lifetime commitment.

I second this! Good way to 'try out' dog ownership without making the lifetime commitment yet. Plus you get to play a really cool role in a greyhound's life teaching him or her about living in a home!

Guest cwholsin

Agreed!! There's no need to be so negative or critical. OP is open to opinion, but asks that it be offered nicely. "You should NOT have a greyhound... or another dog for that matter" Ouch. "Get a zen garden or a motorcycle" Double ouch.

Yes, this is a public forum, and yes people can and usually do have widely differing opinions...but there's no reason to be disrespectful. We can disagree with each other and still be nice about it.

To be the devil's advocate and present a different opinion, if you wait until you're in the 'perfect' situation for a dog....you'll be waiting till retirement or later. It's the same thing with kids. But if you're prepared for the commitment and willing to make enough room for the dog in your lifestyle--if it's now, a year from now, or in 5 years--go for it.

it might be worth suggesting that you try fostering a greyhound until it is adopted. That way you can get your 'dog legs' under you before you have made that lifetime commitment.

I second this! Good way to 'try out' dog ownership without making the lifetime commitment yet. Plus you get to play a really cool role in a greyhound's life teaching him or her about living in a home!

It doesn't seem to me that someone who can't be home much with a dog is the best person to foster, at least from the perspective of the dog...

This is a bit off-topic, but I never quite understand the advice to people brand new to dogs to foster. I mean, I understand the principle behind the advice, but it seems to me that someone who takes a dog straight from the kennel should either be fully committed to that dog and working through whatever bumps in the road there may be with its adjustment to a home, or else an experienced, involved greyhound person who is used to helping dogs adjust. Not someone with no experience and uncertain about the whole business. Besides, it seems like in other threads, people are telling newbies to get a dog who has already been fostered or is a bounce, etc. As someone whose group does not foster and whose kennel dogs do just fine with their adopters I tend to think that's really not so important, but still.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

One more humble opinion, if you can stand it?

I agree with the fostering.......Foster with Intent to Fail.

This could open your lives to so much joy, you'll find yourself WANTING to come home sooner.

You'll find a whole world of folks to talk to, on your walks, at the vet, at the petstore, etc.

Your life is very structured, sounds like, & that's fine, but Chaos is so much FUN!!! You never know what to expect, and there's a

surprise around every corner.

Maybe you'll wind up buying a larger home with a big yard & fostering more.

The joy these hounds bring us is priceless, which is why sometimes we're a little overprotective.

Live....learn....love....perhaps your life will change in ways you never expected, and maybe that will be a good thing.

Whatever you decide, best wishes & good luck. :)

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

It doesn't seem to me that someone who can't be home much with a dog is the best person to foster, at least from the perspective of the dog...

This is a bit off-topic, but I never quite understand the advice to people brand new to dogs to foster. I mean, I understand the principle behind the advice, but it seems to me that someone who takes a dog straight from the kennel should either be fully committed to that dog and working through whatever bumps in the road there may be with its adjustment to a home, or else an experienced, involved greyhound person who is used to helping dogs adjust. Not someone with no experience and uncertain about the whole business. Besides, it seems like in other threads, people are telling newbies to get a dog who has already been fostered or is a bounce, etc.

I agree 100% with this. People who foster for adoption groups should be people who have a lot of experience with dogs and greyhounds specifically. When we adopted Merlin (who was our first), DH had never had an animal companion - not even a gerbil. He was completely inexperienced, and he found it incredibly hard and stressful to deal with Merlin's separation anxiety. Th I at was nearly 4 years ago and now he is embarrassed and horrified at the thought that in those early days he considered taking Merlin back. But I totally understand it. It was stressful for me, and I'd had previous experience with dogs, cats, horses and other non-human animals. If I hadn't been around, Merlin would most likely be in a different home today. I don't think it's fair to either the humans or dog concerned to consider fostering if you're inexperienced. It could work out, but it could also be a total disaster, after which the poor dog is branded a bounce, and s/he will find it harder to find another home.

My two cents on the OP's situation: I don't think your situation is necessarily a problem IF you hire a dogwalker to let your dog out at lunchtime and to provide him or her with come much-needed company. Beyond the fact that it is deeply unfair and irresponsible to leave a dog for more than a certain number of hours without the chance to relieve herself, it breaks my heart to hear of dogs spending the entire day on their own (with a few exceptions, of course - sometimes you will find dogs who are okay and even better as only dogs). Dogs are very social animals and IMO they should not spend the whole day alone (even if they're loose in the house, never mind in a crate!) with no stimulation just because someone decides they want a dog around when they're not at work. It's selfish. I had to crate Merlin while he had SA and I lived in an apartment. We didn't have Sagan at the time. I hated every single minute of it, even though I knew it was only temporary. I still feel terrible about it. But at least I walked him at lunchtime and we had a cuddle and played together, so he got a bit of a break. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

As for the furniture getting chewed. No one likes their belongings ruined, but IMO if you want to share your life with a dog you should be open to changing your mind with respect to how much you care about your flat looking perfect and neat. I mean, it's one thing to get annoyed if a dog chews your book - been there :rolleyes: - but there are other, minor issues - two words: dog hair! :lol I know a few people somehow manage to keep their homes looking spectacular even with dogs, and good luck to them. They really should blog or tweet about it, because I'd probably follow them :laughitup But the reality is, there WILL be dog hair, there WILL be mud and dirt occasionally, there WILL be a doggy smell in your flat when they dog comes in from the rain, etc. If you really hate that, then a dog is not for you. Even though I should add that greyhounds smell AMAZING and tend to be very clean dogs.

I think it's commendable that you are asking yourself all these questions now rather than later, and well done for reaching out and being responsible by considering every facet of a possible future life with a dog.

Good kuck.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

This is a bit off-topic, but I never quite understand the advice to people brand new to dogs to foster. I mean, I understand the principle behind the advice, but it seems to me that someone who takes a dog straight from the kennel should either be fully committed to that dog and working through whatever bumps in the road there may be with its adjustment to a home, or else an experienced, involved greyhound person who is used to helping dogs adjust. Not someone with no experience and uncertain about the whole business. Besides, it seems like in other threads, people are telling newbies to get a dog who has already been fostered or is a bounce, etc. As someone whose group does not foster and whose kennel dogs do just fine with their adopters I tend to think that's really not so important, but still.

I totally agree, and wrote as much, but then deleted it!

George would have been better off in the track kennel than in his foster home. I think foster homes need to know MORE about Greyhounds than adopters, not less. Do we really want to encourage people who aren't familiar with their quirks and their early adjustment issues to be fostering them?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest barkdogs

Some dogs can hold it regularly for 11 hours--but to do so on a regular basis will injure the dog. If you really want a greyhound you really should have a dog walker or a routine of coming home yourself. I work some very long days and I stay away one night a week during the academic year, and I have had a dog walker for years who looks after my 6 dogs when I can't be there. Actually, now she lives here! Free rent in return for peace of mind when I am having a busy day or a busy week, or I need to travel.

A dog is a lifetime commitment. Ask yourself if you are willing to work through all kinds of potential problems. A good adoption group will always take the dog back, but such a decision is invariably hardest on the dog. My house is no longer clean, and Allistair chewed a corner of my cheap leather sofa from IKEA. It is a drag that the sofa was chewed, but Allistair brings me far more joy than a stupid bit of furniture ever could.

Allistair: 1, Sofa: 0. Sorry, sofa.

Welcome to GreyTalk! It's really good that you're researching & asking questions!

I had a grey for 8 years, but she died 5 years ago and I have not gotten another... mainly because I'm not home very often - away at work 9 hrs a day, then have other commitments on weekends sometimes & on some week nights. IF I got another grey, I would definitely cut back on those commitments to be fair to the dog. Just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Dogs DO take a lot more time than cats (I have 2 cats). So keep thinking... if you can spend lots of time with your pup when you're not at work, and are willing to give up some things, then do consider it - they really are the BEST!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge