Am I Deluded?

Guest Rajiraj

maybe you could adopt an older greyhound?

I adopted Xolotl when she was 7, Zigane and Mikie when they where 5 and Sabrosa was 10. They don't need as much exercise, but of course they need to get there walks. But maybe you can find someone you trust to get him/her out of the house when you are working.

I'm single, work full time and have 5 dogs. They are not crated, but I've got a doggy door, so they can go in and out as they please. But once I'm home it's doggy time, I never go out on weekdays (without my dogs that is), as I feel they where alone for more than enough time. The weekends are also for my dogs. If I have a meeting after work (happens about 3 times a year), I always make sure there is a dogsitter.

I wouldn't say my dogs have a bad time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you would do fine with a greyhound if you have someone come in once midday day to let him out. In the real world, most people work 8 hours a day, plus with commute time and errands they are gone 10-12 hours a day. I have four greyhounds and I work outside the home during the day. When I am home because I'm sick or on the weekends, all they do is sleep during the day anyway. The times I do go home at lunch to let them out, half the time they don't even get up to go outside. They can barely lift their heads to take a treat from me :lol Welcome to GT and good luck with whatever you decide and please ignore the snarkey comments, once someone starts it's like some just have to join the bandwagon. :rolleyes:

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here, but if he fostered or straight out adopted, he- and the greyhound- would be in the exact situation. Yes I agree that it's best for more experienced people to foster, but I really think that's only necessary for a problem hound. If he brings home a 'foster' or adopts outright, that particular hound is making the exact same adjustments in the same exact situation.

So really- does it matter?

To the OP, if there is room in your heart for a dog, then you will make it work. There are a lot of people out there who work long hours and/or don't have the 'perfect' lifestyle to own a dog. If it had to be perfect, there would be a lot more dogs out there in need of homes! Yes, you are gone for a long period of time during the day... and hiring someone to come in half way through the day and take the dog out and interact with them for a bit is your best bet. Things CAN be worked out.I will say though, that crating for 11 hours a day is too much. would you want to be confined in a cage every day for that long? Consider using a baby gate to confine the dog to one room in the beginning, and then let him roam the house.

Also, I hear what you are saying in regards to cleanliness. I am pretty OCD about things being clean, neat and tidy. But you have to be realistic- a dog is a dog is a dog. They shed, they do sometimes get sick, they do sometimes like to nest in the blankets, they splash water out of the bowl onto the floor when they drink. You know what? You get used to it. It becomes part of your routine to vacuum a little more, clean the carpet in case of an accident, wipe up the water. Overall, greyhounds are clean dogs. It is totally possible for you to find an independant, lazy greyhound, who is trained not to get on the furniture, doesn't get into things while you're gone, but rather loves to just sleep the day away.

So, IMHO, if you're serious about this, find an adoption group, start talking to them, and they will work to find you a dog that fits your lifestyle. and if you're willing to put in some effort in training, etc, I say go for it.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars