My Joe Has Osteo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, nnnnoooo! I am so very, very sorry. Please know that you and JoeJoe will be tucked tightly in our prayers. We are here for you.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thank you everyone for your outpouring of support. I never realized how much a simple cyberhug could mean to someone facing this.

My general practice vet sent me home with a script for Tramadol -- only $4 for 25 pills at Kroger. I gave one to Joe and I could tell he was feeling better. He even pounced on a Stuffie. He got some sirloin steak with his dinner tonight.

Dr. Couto is not on clinic tomorrow but he agreed to stop in and look at x-rays -- that man is a saint. My appointment is for 9 am.

Because of my giving support to others that come to OSU, I have been exposed to a lot of people having to make decisions about the care for their dogs. This has made me consider this possibility and I actually made my general treatment decision for osteo over a year ago. I had decided that since Joey is such a happy go lucky boy who actually loves to go into OSU to give blood, that I would do amputation and chemo if he was otherwise healthy and still young. Well he just turned 7 in March and has been a totally healthy and happy dog up until this. If Dr. Couto says he is a candidate for amp/chemo we will do it as soon as possible.

I read about poor John today. That has reminded me that amputation is a major surgery and there is a chance Joe won't survive it. However amputation/chemo gives Joe a chance at a longer term survival and also to be pain free after the healing is done. I try to also remember that a friend of mine has a grey who is still with us 3 years post amputation for osteo. That doesn't mean that if things don't go well I won't blame myself for making the wrong decision.

Well I'm off to do some more JoeJoe cuddling.

Jane

Sending scritchies and prayers for your boy, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the update. Lots of hugs and prayers headed your way.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

I read about poor John today. That has reminded me that amputation is a major surgery and there is a chance Joe won't survive it. However amputation/chemo gives Joe a chance at a longer term survival and also to be pain free after the healing is done. I try to also remember that a friend of mine has a grey who is still with us 3 years post amputation for osteo. That doesn't mean that if things don't go well I won't blame myself for making the wrong decision.

Well I'm off to do some more JoeJoe cuddling.

Jane

Jane we are thinking of you and Joe today. The decision to amp or not is a made with a heavy heart and is never easy. Our decision for Charlie was based on exactly how you describe Joe. Good luck today with Dr. Coutu.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jane, you have done so much for so many people who faced what you're going thru now, some of the good has to come back around for you. Joe is not only going to survive the surgery, he's going to break the record for post amp survival.

I really don't know how I would have survive Dima's amp and Pearl's surgery without your support and friendship. Opening your home to me and being there......ALL DAY, at the clinic doesn't seem like that much, but it was more important than anything else. You were a Godsend.

I pray you'll get some of what you gave out back in the form of longevity for Joejoe. He's such a sweet boy.

I loved tossing stuffies in the house (he was so loud when he ran around and pounced on them.) He's a clown.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just checking in for an update. :hope that Dr. Couto has a different opinion.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Spent half the day with Jane at OSU as we both waited out the mysterious process that goes on behind those exam room doors. Last I heard they were trying to get on the surgery schedule for tomorrow before I had to leave. I'm sure Jane will update soon.

Last I heard they were trying to get on the surgery schedule for tomorrow before I had to leave.

Oh no. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Spent half the day with Jane at OSU as we both waited out the mysterious process that goes on behind those exam room doors. Last I heard they were trying to get on the surgery schedule for tomorrow before I had to leave. I'm sure Jane will update soon.

I'm glad you could be there Suzy. I hate that this is happening, but I am so relieved that you are there in the best possible hands. Hugs to all of you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I wish I was there as Jane was there for me.

But, everybody knows Jane at OSU, so she is surrounded but wonderful, loving, caring people.

Dr. Christina is there. She's head of Blood Bank and knows Joejoe. She is one of the sweetest people on earth. She'll also look out for Jane.

Jane, do you need the sling? I can fed-ex it out to you.

Edited by MP_the4pack

I wish I was there as Jane was there for me.

But, everybody knows Jane at OSU, so she is surrounded but wonderful, loving, caring people.

Dr. Christina is there. She's head of Blood Bank and knows Joejoe. She is one of the sweetest people on earth. She'll also look out for Jane.

Jane, do you need the sling? I can fed-ex it out to you.

Mary Pat,

I never thought when I made that sling for Dima that I would need it back. Please do send it to me; it will be one less thing I have to deal with. I will PM you with shipping info.