Sutra's Limp = Probable Osteo

I'm in shock right now. His xray shows that the top of the bone (where it connects to the shoulder) is less dense than the rest of the bone...doc is 95% sure it's osteo. He wants to send the xrays to Dr. Couto...I need to find the mailing address. I'm going to go look now but if someone sees this and has it, could you please post it here?

Poor old man is hurting. He's got Deramaxx and Tramadol right now and I've got him resting on my bed. Part of me wants to try to amputate just to relieve him of the pain. Part of me isn't sure how he'd do as a 12 year old tripod. His other front leg is strong, and he's got an incredible spirit. I worry that he's been through too much in his life to fight through something this tough though.

I don't know if his lungs are clear. We took xrays of the lungs as well but I didn't stick around to look at them, I just wanted to be able to send them to Dr. C. I *think* that if it IS osteo, it's early, though I thought by the time they are limping sometimes it's already too late.

You always feel like you know so much and can make clear decisions until it's happening to you...I don't know which way is up right now :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Kristin. I have walked this road twice now. Many of us here have.

You are not alone. Here is the info you asked for.

C. Guillermo Couto, DVM

Diplomate ACVIM

Professor

Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences

The Ohio State University

0032 Veterinary Medical Center

601 Vernon Tharp St.

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Ph: (614) 292-3551

Fx: (614) 292-0895

Edited by gazehund

Oh Kristin, I'm so sorry.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

:(

Not fair.

Sending hugs to both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kristen I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I know you're in shock right now, but may I add our experiences with Jamey, in case it helps you at all?

One year ago today, April 15th, he screamed in pain for 15 minutes, and 2 weeks later he did the same. He limped only occasionally. His bone lesion was not in the normal spot, did not look like the normal sunburst pattern of OSA, so we were delayed by 6 weeks for an actual diagnosis. June 4th he had his front right leg amputated, because his leg broke at the vet while they were taking X-rays. To make this long story short, Jamey is still with us today, and doing well. He is 10.

Get the X-Rays to Dr. C. ASAP. Can they be emailed?

If you're not there yet, join Circle of Grey, a Yahoo group for Greyhounds with cancer. They are so supportive.

Many hugs to you!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately they can't be emailed, but, my vet's office is just waiting for me to send them the information they need to mail the xrays.

I will email Dr. C here in a few minutes, tell him the xrays are coming, and ask for his help.

mom2four, how old is your Jamey? Sorry just re-read your post and saw that he is 10. THANK YOU for sharing his story.

I asked Lucy to email me Riley's xrays because I've never seen another xray of OSA and what I saw today, like I said, was not what I expected it to look like.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry! Does you vet not have electronic x-rays at this point? How frustrating that you'll have to wait for them to be mailed. :(

I can't offer any suggestions on what to do, just lots of support. Sorry you're facing this. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm very sorry to hear this news. You and Sutra have already been through so much together. :grouphug

Argos's xray just looked less dense than the one of his healthy shoulder. There was no clear tumor or pattern. I don't know what is typical.

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry! Does you vet not have electronic x-rays at this point? How frustrating that you'll have to wait for them to be mailed. sad.gif

See if your vet will at least overnight them. :goodluck

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Kristin, I just emailed you Riley's xrays. I was feeling so helpless and frustrated having to wait for the originals to be mailed, so I went to the vet and took a picture of the xrays so I would have a copy right away. It came out pretty good. Just a suggestion if you want to be able to email them... that is what I sent to OSU and they said they did not need the originals, but Riley's is pretty obvious.

Edited by RileysMomma

I'm very sorry to hear this news. You and Sutra have already been through so much together. :grouphug

Argos's xray just looked less dense than the one of his healthy shoulder. There was no clear tumor or pattern. I don't know what is typical.

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry! Does you vet not have electronic x-rays at this point? How frustrating that you'll have to wait for them to be mailed. sad.gif

See if your vet will at least overnight them. :goodluck

I told them to send them whatever way will get them there fastest and to just charge my account. I don't care what it costs.

Lucy, I wish I had thought of that while I was there, but all I had was my cell phone anyway, and it's a bit more difficult to see since it's (thankfully) a small area. I just looked at Riley's xrays :( (thank you for sharing them). Sutra's lack of density in the bone is (if you're looking at it from the side) just in the upper left part of the top of the bone, near where it hooks into the shoulderblade (it's the part of the bone that pokes out the front of their shoulder if they're standing there looking at you straight on - often it's kind of shaved off to be used for bone grafts in broken leg dogs).

At this point I'm not HORRIBLY concerned about it breaking, but, as we all know, that can change overnight sometimes.

I have never had to make a decision like this, and I know I don't have to make a decision yet, but, I will need to make one once I hear what Dr. C has to say. He will use the leg, but acts like it hurts to bend at the elbow almost...so he's holding it out to the side a little bit.

From everything I hear, if his lungs are clear, amputation is the best way to relieve the pain, short of letting him go, that is. That's where things get gray for me and I'm really going to have to think things through.

I'm taking a half day from work - going in at 4...so I'm going to take a nap - Sutra is :)

Guest Energy11

Sending love, lots of strength and prayers to you and Sutra!

At this point, I'd just take one day at a time, ... all you really can do.

Many hugs to you both!

Crappity crap crap :( I'm so sorry about the DX, Kristen. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Smiley

I am so, so sorry. Dr. Couto will give you good feedback and he's very kind. Please know I'm keeping you and Sutra in my thoughts and prayers-I know what an awful journey this is.