Riley Has Osteo

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some of you are really knowledgeable about greyhounds and unfortunately this disease. If anyone would like to look at his xrays, will you PM me? I fear that I am going to have to make a decision sooner rather than later, b/c I am very concerned about his shoulder shattering. I would appreciate any insight on this. Thank you all so much for all your kind words :grouphug

eta - I did email the xrays to OSU today also.

Edited by RileysMomma

Continued hugs for you guys, Lucy. :grouphug BTW you are a beautiful girl - you should post your picture more often!

I don't know much about reading xrays unless it's really really obvious, but I'm sure there's someone here that will be able to look at them with a more professional eye.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Lucy, is Riley using that leg at all? Due to a bunch of stuff I won't rehash, it was nearly a month and a half between Cosmo's first doctor visit and her amputation. In that period of time she started getting around very well on 3 legs. If he's not using the leg or starting not to, I think you have less to worry about, if that helps. Cosmo was very protective of her leg and even though the tumor got to be enormous she never let on that she was in pain. She ate well and was active and smiling the entire time. I only hope Riley can do that well for the time remaining.

By the way, I'm terrible at xrays but I can email them to my current wonderful vet and ask her to look if you'd like. She sees a ton of Greyhounds.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Lucy, is Riley using that leg at all? Due to a bunch of stuff I won't rehash, it was nearly a month and a half between Cosmo's first doctor visit and her amputation. In that period of time she started getting around very well on 3 legs. If he's not using the leg or starting not to, I think you have less to worry about, if that helps. Cosmo was very protective of her leg and even though the tumor got to be enormous she never let on that she was in pain. She ate well and was active and smiling the entire time. I only hope Riley can do that well for the time remaining.

By the way, I'm terrible at xrays but I can email them to my current wonderful vet and ask her to look if you'd like. She sees a ton of Greyhounds.

Tracey, I PMed you. He is still using the leg, which is what is scaring me so much. Tonight some friends brought over bacon and marshmallows, and then we went to Baskin Robbins and brought Riley home his own ice cream. He definitely had a good night. :)

I'm so sorry for this diagnosis. Continue to enjoy every minute and keep on spoiling him rotten.

ETA - this is Carol. I didn't realize Ryan was logged on...but I know he's thinking the same thing.

Edited by RyanUOP06

If there is a hairline fracture in there (I think I saw you post something about that), it would cause me great concern because like you I'd be afraid that it would just break. I can't read x-rays so I think getting an opinion from OSU is a good thing. I'm so sorry and both you and Riley are in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Tracey, I PMed you. He is still using the leg, which is what is scaring me so much. Tonight some friends brought over bacon and marshmallows, and then we went to Baskin Robbins and brought Riley home his own ice cream. He definitely had a good night. :)

I hope you and Riley have more good nights left. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest bigorangedog

Definitely OSU are the people to read the xray. I've seen the xrays of my 5 osteo pups, so I more or less know what I am looking for, but am certainly not a radiologist! I know it's a very personal decision, but if you have any thoughts of doing an amputation, I can give you a ton of advice there. Sounds like you are doing QUITE well on spoiling him, which is greyt!

Guest PhillyPups

Checking in for an update. I so hate cancer, it comes in and steals our beloved hounds way too soon.

:bighug for you and Riley. :hope for Riley and to give you the strength for this painful journey. :hope

Guest Heehoo

Spend lots of time, take lots of pictures, memorize him. Even in the dark I always knew Gogh's hair, it was softer. Even now when I pet one of the others, I try to memorize the touch. Keep a journal of your day with him. 

:grouphug

I live alone with my greyhounds. I work full time, mostly 1/2 hr away from home. So when Diamond was diagnosed with OS, the fear of her breaking her leg was very much on my mind. That's why I drove 9 hrs to OSU. I wanted Dr. Couto's opinion on whether she could live on 3 legs at her age (2 weeks shy of 12 yrs old). She has arthritis of the lower back and front ankle of her good leg. But he felt she was still a candidate.

The fear of the broken leg drove me to the amp route.

It took 2 weeks for her to recovery from surgery and feel GREAT. I took her only a few days to learn to get around on 3 legs.

But, I watched her like a hawk for 2 months because sometimes she still forgot she only had three and tried to do things she couldn't (like go downstairs....I built a ramp for her to go outside). But she can still use a dog door. Still go up the stairs (she always had trouble going down to begin with). She is currently 6 months post amp.

She does spend most of her time on her bed, she tires easily, but so do many 12 yr olds with all 4 legs. She has a great appetite and loves to go outside and sleep in the sun. Which she is doing a lot now that it's spring. She can even handle when the young'uns knock into her.

I just wanted to let you know that the fear of a break drove me to do amputation. Because even if they only live a couple months more, it is pain free. They recover from surgery VERY VERY FAST.

Guest Adrianne

If there is a hairline fracture in there (I think I saw you post something about that), it would cause me great concern because like you I'd be afraid that it would just break.

Yes, yes, and yes to this. That's exactly what happened to Wilbur. No warning, no time, doing nothing out of the ordinary. The leg just broke, snapped in half. Excruciating for him, and the only comfort was that it happened while we were here and could take him immediately to the e-vet.

I so appreciate all of your posts, and I wanted to give you guys an update. After considering all options and talking at length with my vet and many other people, I have decided to let Riley go. This is the most heartbreaking decision I've ever had to make, but I feel it is the right one for him.

Amputation is not an option for Riley. My vet totally agrees with me there, and also, we both suspect the cancer has already spread in his body due to how fast it appeared and how much degeneration there already is in his shoulder. The most difficult part is that he is still happy, but that is also the main reason I have made this decision. I cannot take the risk of him breaking the leg and thus his life ending with excruciating pain and stress, just to have a few more weeks or at best a month or two. I would be keeping him alive for ME, not for him, and that's not fair to him.

So, I am not sure exactly when yet, but it will be soon. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the best way to do this. She has offered to come to my house, which I think would be better for Riley, but I don't know if I can handle that. Also, I've read various opinions on having the other dogs present. Riley is my first dog, first pet actually, and I've never been through this before. if anyone can share their experiences I would really appreciate it. Thank you all so very much.

Guest Energy11

I totally understand your decision, especially based on the x-rays. I am sorry, but as they saying goes ... "better a day sooner, than a day later ... "

If I had it to do all over again, I would have had the three I lost, send to The Bridge at home. Energy was an emergency, so it was the E-vet. Dasher, the same, but Max ... we, like you, elected for a day sooner, than later.

When it is time for my others to join them, and it they aren't emergency situations, I will have my vet come here. I have a secluded room where this could be done. No, I would not have my others there. I feel it would be too stressful for all involved.

When my husband, Bob, passed, it was at home, ... we both opted for him to be home, and not in an ICU riddled with tubes and having no dignity.

I send you love, strength, many hugs and prayers!

Love, Dee ...p.s. Remember, you will NOT be alone! ALL of us here with be with you in spirit!

I totally understand your decision, especially based on the x-rays. I am sorry, but as they saying goes ... "better a day sooner, than a day later ... "

If I had it to do all over again, I would have had the three I lost, send to The Bridge at home. Energy was an emergency, so it was the E-vet. Dasher, the same, but Max ... we, like you, elected for a day sooner, than later.

When it is time for my others to join them, and it they aren't emergency situations, I will have my vet come here. I have a secluded room where this could be done. No, I would not have my others there. I feel it would be too stressful for all involved.

When my husband, Bob, passed, it was at home, ... we both opted for him to be home, and not in an ICU riddled with tubes and having no dignity.

I send you love, strength, many hugs and prayers!

Love, Dee ...p.s. Remember, you will NOT be alone! ALL of us here with be with you in spirit!

Thank you Dee, for everything. My main concern is that I live in a VERY small place, so there is no where to do it that isn't my main living area. But, again, I have to think about Riley and not about me, so maybe I need to just deal with it. He would definitely be more relaxed at home.

I am so sorry.

Let me just offer one thought. Having been through it many times, I can remember the first like it was yesterday.

I think you will surprise yourself as far as how you handle it. It's devastating, God only knows, but because you love him the way you do, you will show strength when it's time and you won't even realize where that strength comes from.

It comes from love, no doubt about it. We will have you both tucked in our prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Your beach picture yesterday was so very lovely. I am so sorry that you have to make this decision so soon but you are clearly doing it from a very great love for Riley.

I let my girl Scarlett go at home, on her couch, surrounded by her favorite people in the world. The entire day was about her. Friends were in and out all day visiting her and saying their goodbyes. My core group of friends was there at the end and we toasted her, loved her and then sent her to the bridge. I was holding her and telling her how much I loved her (and a friend was holding me). My vet was wonderful through the whole thing.

Claudia is right, you think you won't be able to handle it but you do. All that will matter is that Riley is okay, somehow, you forget about yourself. It will be devastating, there is no way around that but you will get through it.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Edited by carronstar

Emmy went at the vet under an emergency situation so there was no time to plan. Andy went at the e-vet. If I didn't have as big a pack as I do I'd rather do it at home but with our large family, we'll have to have it done at the vet's.

I'm so very sorry you have to make this decision so soon. My heart goes out to you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee