Riley Has Osteo

I hope this isn't a totally insensitive question...but for those of you who had your Greys euthanized at home, did you have to help carry the body to the Vet's vehicle? I sent Isabella off for private cremation and the Vet came alone so I had to help with that. It was tough. And I'll never forget that my neighbors next door were having their daily drunken porch party and were hooting and laughing, unaware, while I carried the love of my life's body out the back gate so those idiot hillbillies wouldn't see.

I am wondering this too. This is my main concern about doing it at home... Even if I don't have to help carry him, just thinking about seeing his body moved around is almost too much for me to handle. And I also have a bunch of neighbors who are always outside... :(

For Bailey, my vet brought an assistant. They let me spend some time alone with her and then asked me to go outside in the backyard. They carried her out front to their car...wrapped in a blanket with her favorite stuffie. They were really wonderful and it meant the world to me to allow her to be at home. She also hated going to the vet's office.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

Lucy , through Tears for your sweet Riley,I can't bare the Trauma you are going through.I wish you strenght to make the right Decision.We will be here to share your Sadness and Tears.I am so truly sorry. :grouphug

I'm so sorry, Lucy.

When we let Buddy go we did so at the vet. I really wish it could've been at home, since Buddy always got so stressed at the vet. With the other dogs, I will do my best to have them cross over to the Bridge at home.

I have not been able to go back to that vet. I know that any appointment will be in the same room that Buddy left us from, and I just can't do it.

There have been much, much worse things take place at our house since Buddy died---the policemen coming to tell us Elizabeth was gone---that I don't think it would bother me so much to let one of my dogs go at home. Just knowing they were at HOME, where they are most comfortable, would outweigh any hesitation on my part to have it done at home.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest jettcricket

Love surrounds you and Riley. My girls are waiting at the Bridge. Somehow life goes on - never the same. Make wonderful memories with your beautiful boy.

Very well put....yes, life does go on.....as hard as it seems we reach deep down within ourselves and pull ourselves up. I hope I'm making sense.

Lucy...sending you white light and positive energy. I know how hard this is.....cancer takes too many of our beloved hounds and humans. sad.gif

Somehow I missed this thread... I am so very sorry to hear about Riley. Hugs to you and to Riley. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

No, the vet came with a blacket although we covered Polli with her own blanket too and very gently carried her to his car, the trunk was open. He very gently placed her down and before he closed the trunk, he said "Im so sorry Mommy". The tears were running down all our faces. As it is mine right now, just remembering it. Then then took her right over to the office. We had her back 4 days later.

The Vet who came to my house was an older woman, probably not capable of carrying a large dog by herself, at least not with any degree of dignity for the dog. She was the only Vet who offered this service in my area and I was very grateful for it, but a little warning would have been nice. Maybe I should have anticipated it myself but we're not always thinking clearly at these times.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Lucy, I'm PMing you.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Lucy, I am so, so sorry. I am sending you prayers and wishes for peace and comfort as you face this journey with your sweet Riley. It's the most selfless act you can perform, one that comes from the purest form of love for your beloved companion.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

So sorry you've had to make such a heart-wrenching decision and walk this well trodden path :(

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Lucy, my heart breaks for and with you.

I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

{{{{{{{{{{Lucy}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry. I have always loved his beautiful face and name. You are in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug Lucy :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--