Riley Has Osteo

I can't speak for anyone else, but for those who asked about removal, my vet took my girl away that night to the practice where he has privileges. He had my friend take me into my bathroom (I live in a studio) while he wrapped her and removed her. Every single thing he did that night was so respectful of Scarlett and of those of us who loved her. I am sure your vet will do the same.

Edited by carronstar

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greygirls2

I am so sorry you've had to make this heartbreaking decision. Riley is a lucky boy to have a Mom who loves him so unselfishly. Our hearts are with both of you. White light and strength to get through this coming your way.

My first two babies went to the Bridge at the hospital. Not my choice.

With Pearl, I did have to chose when her last day would be and I definitely wanted it at home. For her sake.

Find his aftercare now. Are you cremating or burying him? You don't want to make that decision at the moment he leaves you.

Topaz (my first loss) came so unexpectedly, that I didn't think about it and buried her in the back. Something I have regretted for 10 yrs. now.

Brindle was cremated, but the hospital (U of Penn) did all the work. I received a beautiful elegant but plain wooden chest with a little lock on it. I was pleased. This was 8 yrs ago.

When Pearl was going to leave me, I wanted her cremated as well. My vets said they do their own. Well I was thinking they would take her away, cremate her then pulverize the cremain as my Brindle was. They didn't. They also didn't put her in a decent urn. She came in a black trash bag inside a tin. Completely unsecured. If I had tripped, her ashes would have gone all over.

I didn't realize the extreme difference in the way cremains were handled. I now know and will have the body of my next baby sent to a pet funeral home that is fairly local.(I have already done the research) I think they actually did Brindle. They pick up the body when you want it. I had to take my dead Pearl to my vets. They didn't even take her. (but the trauma was all on my end. Pearl had a peaceful passing at home.)

Also, have a close friend, one that understands the loss of a pet there with you. My friend consoled me, held me, told me what to do when I seemed non-fuctioning. Then when the part came to move Pearl, she ended up using her car and doing all the talking. She was a GODSEND.

I'm so sorry Riley is going. He looks so much like my beloved Pearl.

One other thing. When they leave for the Bridge, they let loose everything. Put something under him to absorb it and protect whatever bed/furniture/floor you have, or prepare to throw it out. This is a nasty part of when they leave their bodies.

Unfortunately, I just went thru this 3 months ago. It sucks. I wish I could be there for you.

If you decide to take Riley to the vet, be prepared to have someone with you to drive you home. Any time I've had to do it, I've been practically hysterical after the fact. I did stay strong while it was being done, but afterwards....

As far as strength to get thru afterwards, I guess I just don't have any inner strength. The only way I got thru the succeeding weeks and months is because life does not stop for misery. Your heart does not quit beating just because it's broken in pieces. You just take it one breath at a time and keep repeating the breath. Someday in the future, it gets easier to breathe and every breath won't hurt.

God bless you.

Connie

Lucy, I'm so sorry you're walking this sad road with your beloved Riley. :(

I so support your decision of "better a day too early than a day too late", and choosing a date rather than having the date choose you ensures it goes as well as it can be expected to. When we had to let Happy go, it was at least 2 weeks too late (maybe even 2 months!), no one would come to the house, our vet was out of town for days, so we just dragged her along 'til the stars aligned. It was awful for everyone. In the end, we carried her blanket-wrapped body back out to our car, took her home, and then out to a grave we dug while we sobbed. She was suddenly so heavy. :sob:

Please make sure you have friends or family with you to help you through this.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Bless you for putting your boy first.

So far, we have let all ours go at the vet's office. We stay in the car until they have a room ready for us. We take a nice blankie and treats. Our vet gives you as much time as you want before, after the first shot that sedates, and after pupper is gone. No rushing about, no impatience.

If you decide to go to the vet, it might be worthwhile to make any other arrangements (cremation, credit card number, etc.) beforehand, so you can focus on more important things. And it would be good to have a friend with you in the car.

Sending a million hugs. There is nothing harder to do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

bighug.gif

all of mine have passed at the vets, except one cat who died on her own at home. If I have the option in the future, I'd like for it to happen at home, but do check with your vet ahead of time about the arrangements for dealing with the remains. I know you can be strong for him, and if you fall apart after he's gone, well, that's ok. It is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do.

Guest LeanneSchatz

My heart breaks for you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. You and Riley will be in my thoughts and prayers. I have not had to experience what you are going through yet but you will get through it. You will find a way to be strong.

Hugs.

:(

Lucy, I have been in a similar spot just a few weeks ago, I took Darla to the vet though, I had the same concerns you had about having the last moments in my home. It doesn't matter if your house is small or large, a sensitive soul such as yours will always...well, you know it will enter your mind anytime you see that part of the house. Darla was not too freaked out about going to the vet, but either way you take Riley in if needed for other visits, even if he is scared, this time will be no different, and the first injection will put him at ease quickly; wait in the car until they are ready for you, distract him with yummy treats, he will be ok. I too experienced this for the first time, and my vet and vet tech were really good about explaining what to expect, they told me some dogs will sound like they are gasping for breath, but it's just a reflex, they are in no distress, like someone else mentioned, some let go of their bowels or pee, but not all do.

Darla was shaking and panting at home, and at the vets, because she was in pain, so when that shot took effect, she relaxed, and I could feel her relief. She had refused to lie down on the blanket, so I held her and talked to her, the vet tech held her back end, and we slowly eased her to the floor once she relaxed. Everyone reacts different, it's ok to cry, have a friend with you if want, I wanted to be by myself, and I went to work afterwards, to have a distraction, and because I could not go back home right away, do what feels right for you. Riley is a lucky boy to have you for his mommy, I know it sucks having to be the grown-up....

:grouphug

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I have no advice or relevant experience, but I just wanted you to know that I am so very sorry and bless you for putting his needs ahead of yours.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

oh, Lucy, I am so, so sorry. It is so hard to let them go. I think you are making the right decision, it would be heartbreaking to inadvertently cause him more pain by not taking any action. :grouphug :grouphug

I had my vet come to my house to help Sydney Sue cross over. It was beautiful. I have a very small house, and all the other dogs (two other greyhounds, and one Chinese Crested) were in the living room with us. I did crate the crested, because he was super high energy, and I didn't want him messing with Syd. When the vet came into the house, Syd went and laid down on her bed, like she knew. He gave her the injections, and when she was gone, he listened for a heart beat, and told me she was gone. I went into my bedroom (to cry and bawl and sob) and my best friend and the vet wrapped Syd up and took her away. The vet took her to the crematorium, and I was sent the ashes a week later. There is NO way I could have been in the room when he wrapped her up. But letting her go at home was just so peaceful for her, I am so glad I did that for her.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Lucy, I am just now seeing this and wish to express my deepest sympathies. Riley will be in my thoughts, and you as well. Please take comfort in the memories of happier times with Riley, you two have been through a lot together.

Guest EmbersDad

have you thought about the beach? is there a private area that maybe you could take riley to? when ember went, we were going for our chemo treatment and i mentioned that she had started coughing. xrays showed the cancer had spread and thru my tears, i made the decision right there. i wish it could have been at home, but they didnt offer it, and after seeing my dad fad away in a drug induced haze, i didnt want that for ember, so our fight ended that day. i did ask for a tech to sit with me because i didnt want to be alone. all the other vets at the practice stopped by for a final visit, and after it was done, dr driben covered her with a blanket and left the room so i could have some time. when i was ready, i slipped off her collar and freed her, then left the room. i was numb for the ride home. thankfully the wonderful people on this list were there for me. we are all here for you. there is no wrong decision. enjoy your time with him.

Guest windycove

Love surrounds you and Riley. My girls are waiting at the Bridge. Somehow life goes on - never the same. Make wonderful memories with your beautiful boy.

First off I am so sorry you are having to make these decisions. I have had to help two dogs to the bridge. One at the vets office. One at home. It was rough leaving the vets with only my pups collar just leaving him on the table. Snowman was able to be helped to the bridge at home. It was a bit tough cause his heart just didnt want to say good bye but I know his body was ready. I made the decision to help him when he no longer did the 3 things he loved. playing ball,getting up to come get pets, and jumping for joy for meals. when the day came when the ball just rolled past him, he wouldnt get up to come get luvs, and he nolonger was excited doing his happy meal time dance. Even tho his heart was still strong I am glad he I chose to do it early not late. My friend and I had to put him in the car and drive him to the creamatoriam cause I couldnt bear for him to be in the vets cold storage or in the back of the doctors van. I am glad I took him even tho I learned that day where the phrase "dead weight" comes from. Geeze my friend and I could hardly believe how much a 75lb dog weighs cause I use to pick him up all the time. Even tho I went thru that I am still glad he was at home. I wish you the best when the time comes. You can do it for your babe. Hugs to you

BTW Im wearing my riley greytalk shirt. He will always be in my thoughts

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest BlackandBrindle

Oh Lucy, I am so incredibly sorry. :grouphug :grouphug

Lots of thoughts for strength and comfort for you and Riley. :grouphug

Guest FullMetalFrank

My heart is breaking for you and Riley... I am so sorry. When I had to let Iberia go, he was on the floor at the emergency vets and my poor boy was so drugged up that the tech said he probably didn't even know I was there... (note to self, when I begin my career, to try and never be that insensitive to anyone!) But when the vet came in and got ready to inject the euthanasia solution into his IV, he did look at me with what seemed like understanding, and peace. He kept on looking at me for the few seconds it took and then he just closed his eyes. :(

I was also thinking, maybe the beach?

I hope this isn't a totally insensitive question...but for those of you who had your Greys euthanized at home, did you have to help carry the body to the Vet's vehicle? I sent Isabella off for private cremation and the Vet came alone so I had to help with that. It was tough. And I'll never forget that my neighbors next door were having their daily drunken porch party and were hooting and laughing, unaware, while I carried the love of my life's body out the back gate so those idiot hillbillies wouldn't see.

No, the vet came with a blacket although we covered Polli with her own blanket too and very gently carried her to his car, the trunk was open. He very gently placed her down and before he closed the trunk, he said "Im so sorry Mommy". The tears were running down all our faces. As it is mine right now, just remembering it. Then then took her right over to the office. We had her back 4 days later.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project