Jasmine

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

I received an email last night that a former foster had left for the bridge. When I saw the title to the email I almost didn't open it. I knew instinctively what it was about and just couldn't bare the thought.

Jasmine was a bounce. I was asked if I could foster a girl who was being surrendered after 3 years with a couple that to the best I can figure out the wife never wanted her. She was never allowed anywhere in the house except the kitchen and laundry room and after some upgrades to the house only the garage! The husband when he called seemed all broke up over the whole thing and maybe he was but to me if he had cared he would have stood up to the wife, after all, the Yorkies were allowed in the house.

When I went to pick her up he showed up in a small pickup and at first I thought she was in the back but she was inside. She got out and I did control myself, after all I just wanted to get her, but if I hadn't been told I was picking up a GH I wouldn't have recognized her as such. I have NEVER seen such an OBESE hound! She looked like a fat lab with a skinny head. I just took the leash (rope) and placed her in the van with all the soft beds (she didn't have one), then the man asked for the leash back. She came back to us with NOTHING.

I got her home and was heartbroke at the sight of her. I called our adoption coordinator and told her what we were facing. We spoke with her former vet, she was UTD on all shots and he was very happy to learn she was no longer in her former home. The wife had once tried to have her PTS because she had an accident in the house. The husband said she had some arthritis that left her crying sometimes.

She was at least 30# + overweight. The husband placated her with food and then didn't exercise her. She didn't have arthritis. Her muscles were atrophied from lack of use. At night she would literally SCREAM from the muscle spasms. You could see the muscle jumping in her legs. We would massage the muscle and try to warm the muscle to relieve the pain.

She went on a diet and we were feeding her bananas for the potassium. We knew she couldn't do long walks yet but we decided on a short walks to help her get her muscles back. The first time I tried to take her for a walk nearly broke my heart. I picked up the leash and instead of her getting excited at the prospect of a walk like my gang, she ran out the back door in fear. I came to find out later that the husband used to take her to work with him and would tie her up in his office with her leash. She thought I was going to tie her up! I had to teach her all over that leashes were good.

The weight began to come off of her, the spasms were coming less and less frequently and she was now looking forward to more and longer walks. It was time to start a new chapter in her life. We began to look for a new and better home for her. I actually thought of keeping her myself but if I had she never would have found the Oconners who were the right home for her and loved her VERY much.

She got to live with a couple of whippets, a pom and a sheltie and was loved beyond compare. Mr. Oconner took her on many long walks. For those of you who remember the Orange County greys here in NC, the Oconners adopted one of the senior girls from that nightmare. Jasmine became her rock. She would loose her balance and Jasmine would walk along beside her to hold her steady and encourage her. Maria said Jasmine was instrumental in the old girls rehabilitation. She didn't live a full year after her adoption but her last months were filled with love and comfort.

Jasmine eventually became a Delta therapy dog as well as a reading therapy dog. She got more attention than she ever could have dreamed of and was loved by ALL she encountered.

A couple of years ago she developed an internal cancer (I don't remember what kind)but she overcame it. The only lasting effect was that her immune system was compromised. She could no longer do therapy work or go anywhere that she could contract any kind of illness because she couldn't fight it off and they couldn't give her anything to help her fight it off. So she remained at home to just retire and be spoiled rotten, which she was. It was due to uncontrollable pain in her rear legs that eventually led to the Oconners helping her to the bridge yesterday.

Jasmine I am so sorry you had to go through what you did with your first home but I am so happy you got to spend the last 5 with the Oconners. I thank you also for sharing just a little bit of your journey with me. Peter (my DS) always accused me of giving away his dog. He has always loved all the hounds in my life but you touched his heart in a way no other hound ever has. He will be heartbroke to learn you have left us.

Run free Beautiful Jasmine. Wait for the Oconners they will be looking for you when their time on earth is over.

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

Edited by greybookends

Lori and the Oconnell, I am so sorry that Jasmine has left to go to the bridge.

Lori what a great tribute to Jasmine- thank you for fostering her in time of need and to the Oconnells, thank you for loving Jasmine and giving her a loving home.

Jasmine, run free, girl, you are with some special friends now.

Amy and Maddie

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

My sympathies to all who knew and loved this very special lady.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest jade1046

What a heartbreaking life Jasmine had in her early days. Bless you for "rescuing" her and for finding her a loving home. My condolences to you and her family. Godspeed sweet girl. :gh_run:f_pink

Edited by jade1046

Guest dwolfe711

What a beautiful story - thank doG that she got away from her first family to your caring rehabilitation and her eventual adoption into her loving forever home where she was spoiled for her final years. She certainly touched a lot of hearts and will be truly missed but always loved and remembered - run free sweet girl - :gh_run2

My sympathies to those who loved Jasmine. Godspeed sweet girl! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thank you for writing such a beautiful tribute to Jasmine. I am so sorry for her loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest jettcricket

Oh sweet girl....reading about her first home broke my heart. Honestly, I just don't understand some people and how heartless they can be.

Lucky for her that she found people who truly loved and cared about her.

RIP sweet pea....run and play with the other grey angels.

What a lovely tribute to such a special hound. Bless you for getting her back on the road to recovery and into her

loving home. Godspeed, Jasmine.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Godspeed sweet girl. It looks like you took a little piece of a lot of hearts with you. My condolences to her family and to you Lori.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry, but I'm so glad that, through you, she found a much better life. :f_pink

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Beautiful tribute. I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Jasmine, it was an honor to have known you. :f_pink

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png