Nadir's Limp Is Getting Really Bad

Nadir has had an odd stiff gate since 2007. I have taken him to numerous vets. He's had numerous x-rays taken, had an MRI and spinal tap done at the end of 2008 and nothing was found to indicate what could be causing him to walk this way. Last year I took him to Dr. Robert Martin, who used to be the professor of surgery and director of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine's Veterinary Teaching Hospital. He observed Nadir and noted that the problem wasn't in his back or hips as I and other vets had been focusing on but was in his foot. I mentioned to him that Nadir had a corn and he said that this could very well be the cause of his limping. I opted to try using the bee propolis to get rid of the corn before I had it removed surgically. That didn't work, so recently I took him back to his regular vet, Dr. Carter and had it hulled thinking it would bring instant relief. Now his limp is worse than it's ever been. Before he was okay to walk on grass or other soft surfaces, now he limps on these and appears to be in a lot of pain when walking across hard surfaces. I took him in last week and had Dr. Carter take x-rays of his foot hoping that it would indicate what was causing him the pain. Dr. Carter couldn't see anything on the x-rays to explain his limp. Thursday morning I've got an appointment with Dr. Martin, who will administer a nerve block to try and narrow down where the injury is that is causing his limp. I sure could use some good thoughts for my boy that Dr. Martin can finally find and fix the source of his pain.

I hope they find out what is causing your boy pain, and that something can be done to make him feel better. I've heard of boots that can sometimes help with corn pain (but my boy doesn't have corns, and I've never actually seen them). Maybe that might be something to try?

I bet you and your vets are wishing that there was some sort of magic arrow they could call up that would say "the cause is this." It must be hard to try to heal those that can't say "the 3rd toe on my left hind paw hurts when I move thus and so."

Guest Energy11

Corns can cause really bad pain. Staggerlee CANNOT walk outside the yard without his Voyagers Canine Booties. Hopefully, Nadir's pain is from corns, and nothing else. Will he walk with booties?

Sending love, hugs and prayers for him to feel better soon! Dee and The Five

Has he had a Valley Fever test? My Maggie came to us not using a back foot (most of the time). After x-rays, which revealed nothing, we tried several meds, which did nothing but cause diarrhea. We went to a new vet who works with Maggie's adoption group. Although her VF titers were VERY low, he said he's seen such low titers still cause an issue and since we couldn't figure out what the problem was, we started her on Fluconazole. The vet said we probably wouldn't see results (if there were to be any) for about 2 months. Seven weeks later, Maggie stopped hopping and as yet has not had a reoccurrence of her foot issue. She's still on the Fluconazole. We don't know for sure if it's the meds or if it was an injury that took that long to heal. I guess as an option, VF could be a consideration.

PS Dusty never seemed to get corn relief from hulling either.

Corns can cause really bad pain. Staggerlee CANNOT walk outside the yard without his Voyagers Canine Booties. Hopefully, Nadir's pain is from corns, and nothing else. Will he walk with booties?

I have come to realize this, but what I don't understand is why after having it hulled recently has it gotten much worse. From what I've read about other people's experiences with this it should have brought him instant relief. All I can think is that there is an underlying issue which is causing the corn, which we hopefully can find.

Guest Energy11

I have come to realize this, but what I don't understand is why after having it hulled recently has it gotten much worse. From what I've read about other people's experiences with this it should have brought him instant relief. All I can think is that there is an underlying issue which is causing the corn, which we hopefully can find.

You know, when we "hull" Staggerlee's corns, he still favors his back legs. The indentations where the corns used to be are quite painful to the touch. Yes, I really hope you get to the bottom of the corns (no pun intended) for your Nadir! Good luck and many prayers!

Guest Adrianne

Sending good thoughts to you and Nadir. I wished so many times that Wilbur could talk to me and tell me what was going on with his leg? I hope you get answers; I know how frustrating it is to live in limbo.

Hugs to you and Nadir.

The handsome boy Brady has had a limp off and on also. I thought it was caused by a corn, he has a slight one, but my vet said that would not cause this pain. It started with a yellow jacket sting in his paw pad.

We did x-rays also of his front legs, and nothing appeared. He walks fine on grass, but on sidewalks and lose stones is another matter. My vet and I feel that he may have pulled a muscle in his shoulder.

I have a Subaru Forester and I think his jumping in and out has caused the problem. I now having walking up and down a ramp. He does not like it but he uses it, He tenses his body going up and down.

This past winter was tough, while we have missed the last few storms, walking on snowy and ice covered side walks on occasion caused to slip and slide around.

I have used bag balm but I stopped cause I thought it was making his paws too soft for the streets. it has been frustrating cause I hate for him to be uncomfortable. My vet has suggested acupuncture once we pain is coming from.

When it is really bad I give him an anti-inflammatory and limit his walks and running.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Oh, poor Nadir :( Sending lots and lots of good thoughts you way, Judy. :bighug:grouphug:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending many positive thoughts.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The handsome boy Brady has had a limp off and on also. I thought it was caused by a corn, he has a slight one, but my vet said that would not cause this pain. It started with a yellow jacket sting in his paw pad.

We did x-rays also of his front legs, and nothing appeared. He walks fine on grass, but on sidewalks and lose stones is another matter. My vet and I feel that he may have pulled a muscle in his shoulder.

I have a Subaru Forester and I think his jumping in and out has caused the problem. I now having walking up and down a ramp. He does not like it but he uses it, He tenses his body going up and down.

This past winter was tough, while we have missed the last few storms, walking on snowy and ice covered side walks on occasion caused to slip and slide around.

I have used bag balm but I stopped cause I thought it was making his paws too soft for the streets. it has been frustrating cause I hate for him to be uncomfortable. My vet has suggested acupuncture once we pain is coming from.

When it is really bad I give him an anti-inflammatory and limit his walks and running.

Debbie

There are a lot of similarities to what we have been going through with Suze both in Nadir's story and Brady's; examinations, x-rays, rest, anti-inflammatory, pain meds, salves, boots - no diagnosis. Will be watching with anticipation.

FWIW: Springtime Products "Longevity" has helped tremendously. I'm the biggest skeptic in the world when it comes to supplements and their claims, but after discontinuing it three times and having the limp return three times only to have it disappear when the product was re-introduced is enough to convince me that it works for Suze.

Fingers and toes crossed for Nadir.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh, Nadir, we're so sorry that you're having pain. All the Power Rangers are suited up for you!

Sending lots of good thoughts out, and hoping you find out what's wrong so you can feel better soon.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Everybody, thank you so so much for your caring thoughts about Nadir. It's appreciated more than my words can ever express.

Has he had a Valley Fever test? My Maggie came to us not using a back foot (most of the time). After x-rays, which revealed nothing, we tried several meds, which did nothing but cause diarrhea. We went to a new vet who works with Maggie's adoption group. Although her VF titers were VERY low, he said he's seen such low titers still cause an issue and since we couldn't figure out what the problem was, we started her on Fluconazole. The vet said we probably wouldn't see results (if there were to be any) for about 2 months. Seven weeks later, Maggie stopped hopping and as yet has not had a reoccurrence of her foot issue. She's still on the Fluconazole. We don't know for sure if it's the meds or if it was an injury that took that long to heal. I guess as an option, VF could be a consideration.

PS Dusty never seemed to get corn relief from hulling either.

I don't know that much about VF but I don't believe that it would Valley Fever because as far as I know he's never been in an area to have picked it up. He raced at Ebro (Florida Panhandle) in 2003-2004 and I adopted him in 2005. The problem didn't start showing up until midyear 2006. I will bring it up though when I see the vet.

Debbie

There are a lot of similarities to what we have been going through with Suze both in Nadir's story and Brady's; examinations, x-rays, rest, anti-inflammatory, pain meds, salves, boots - no diagnosis. Will be watching with anticipation.

FWIW: Springtime Products "Longevity" has helped tremendously. I'm the biggest skeptic in the world when it comes to supplements and their claims, but after discontinuing it three times and having the limp return three times only to have it disappear when the product was re-introduced is enough to convince me that it works for Suze.

Fingers and toes crossed for Nadir.

Thank you for your suggestion on this product. One of the reasons they're doing the nerve block is to try to determine where the damage is and if amputation is necessary. But before I go through with an amputation I will definately try this product and see if it doesn't help.

Guest bigorangedog

Tobey's corns also felt worse after hulling. We never have found anything that makes them feel better or makes them stay gone (and we even tried an experimental surgery at the U of Tennessee where they implanted a blob of silicone in between his toe bone and paw pad). If he's going to be walking on a hard surface for long, he wears his Therapaw booties and they help a lot. But most of the time he walks on carpet or soft grass.