Elsie. What's Up?

RobinM

I had mentioned that Elsie was whimpering when lying down. Not when going down, but when just laying there. It stopped, started, stopped and started again.

Last night there was a lot of whimpering and barking, but when I got down to her level, she would stop and if I offered her a cookie- she took it and ate it happily.

She has been her usual loud, demanding, bossy and playful way. As I am typing this, she is mouthing me and barking. Now she has a toy that she is playing with.

When I was at work today, I had the cam up and she was laying down and barking. No one else was. That was unusual. Then, I saw her laying down and it looked like she was panting heavily. Her chest was heaving in and out. I paniced and left work immediately. I have a 2:30 appointment with the vet.

I am so afraid it's something terrible. She survived breast cancer back in the summer.

She is always so playful and up my butt- how could anything be wrong? But yet, I am so scared.

So... any ideas of what could be going on.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PiagetsMom

I had mentioned that Elsie was whimpering when lying down. Not when going down, but when just laying there. It stopped, started, stopped and started again.

She has been her usual loud, demanding, bossy and playful way. As I am typing this, she is mouthing me and barking. Now she has a toy that she is playing with.

So... any ideas of what could be going on.

Haven't a clue Robin, but seems it's good that she's up and playing. Hoping it's just some discomfort or aches and pains associated with age that's being aggraved by her being so active. If nothing else, the vet appt. will give you some peace of mind.

I can't see what I'm typing (again), argh. But, Zeke-aroni has been dealing with a weird pain causing issue lately, He is getting Tramadol and Deramaxx, which are doing a terrific job of keeping the pain at bay. He would wake up cryiing, out of a sound sleep, with no obvious area of concern. Xrays, nl. Labs, all nl. Our (wonderful) vet is thinking that he could have some trauma to the nerve tendon sheaths under his left forearm. We would have to do an MRI to rule out a tumor. We are going with the plan for now of keeping him medicated, and with another good week behind him attempting to lower the dosage of rx.

I hope you can get an answer to what is troubling Elsie, poor girlie. Thinking of you guys.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We are home. Elsie was so upset in the car as she has never traveled without a member of her pack. She was in the back of my car instead of the mini van- barked the whole way there and thrashed against the back. OY.

She checked out good. Upon examination, vet felt that she was showing signs of pain in her neck, back and hips. So, long term course of deramaxx and as needed tramadol. In addition, acupunture would probably be beneficial.

I was so scared it was something else...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We are home. Elsie was so upset in the car as she has never traveled without a member of her pack. She was in the back of my car instead of the mini van- barked the whole way there and thrashed against the back. OY.

She checked out good. Upon examination, vet felt that she was showing signs of pain in her neck, back and hips. So, long term course of deramaxx and as needed tramadol. In addition, acupunture would probably be beneficial.

I was so scared it was something else...

That is good news, you must be so relieved. I hope the Deramaxx kicks in fast and works well for her.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

Glad to hear it is something that painkillers and other treatments can manage. Curfew is like that (*in the van alone) he pants, paces, etc. I usually take one of the others along when he goes to the vet, just for "moral support!" :-))

Sending love, hugs and prayers for Elsie!

Whew.

I guess Officer Elsie will have to take it easy for a while. I hope she feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest eaglflyt

I'm glad it wasn't a bad vet report! Maybe this crazy winter weather has caused a generalized arthritis to really act up. Bless her heart. I hope her meds. help quickly and that spring arrives quickly!

Just seeing this. So relieved it wasn't anything frightening. Hope the Deramaxx helps.

Elsie - don't scare us like that!!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Terrific news, Robin. Such a relief when the mystery pains can be helped by some rx, and mama's TLC !

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest grey_dreams

Glad it's nothing serious! Feel better soon Elsie :grouphug

Robin, just wanted to share some information on Dermaxx from the thread Wilbur is wasting away. I don't remember reading anyone else posting about Dermaxx side effects and thought this was very useful information to know.

Post#73 by iseegreyhounds

"I'm not familiar with Wilbur's whole story, but I saw that he is on Deramaxx so thought I'd share my experience with you. Several years ago it nearly killed one of my senior greys, who was taking it for arthritis. It may be something for you to consider, if that's what he's been taking. It didn't seem to be a problem for the first few weeks so it wasn't the first thing considered. Her only symptoms were a growing reluctance to eat, weight loss, and lethargy. She wasn't vomiting and there was no blood, that I saw, in her stool or urine. Doc's ran all sorts of tests but found nothing. They both dismissed the suggestion that it could be the meds. I took her off on my own and found she quickly became a little less lethargic, and a little more willing to start eat things like yogurt, baby foods, and a bland diet. It was eventually determined that Deramaxx had caused serious damage to her stomach lining. She died of unrelated causes a few months later, but never fully recovered from the Deramaxx damage."

Post#86 by iseegreyhounds

"Another side effect of Deramaxx is urinary problems, including loss of bladder control. It's sound more and more like Wilbur may be suffering from several of the known side effects of this drug. I encourage you to google Deramaxx side effects and do some research on how dangerous it can be in some dogs who don't tolerate it. Not every dog will have all, or identical side effects. It nearly killed my dog, and it has in fact killed many, many dogs. Here is one just one article from the web: http://www.doglogic.com/newdrugs.htm "