Some Prayers For Tess

I'm so worried about our sweet Tess. The middle of last night, she had to go out and poop and eat grass. This isn't too unusual for her---she gets growly stomachs occasionally, we give her some Pepto, and she's fine. I couldn't tell what the stool looked like, though, and she threw up some grass. But even after Pepto, she didn't eat breakfast, and Doug saw that she had some diarrhea. Doug checked on her at noon, and she was okay, but when he got home from work, she had thrown up. There was quite a bit of blood in it. He got her right to our vet, who started her on IV and subcube fluids, and antibiotics. She's not sure it's hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, but decided to treat it aggressively as if it was. She said the blood cells were more packed than they should be? I'm not sure, but is that a classic symptom of HGE? They kept her for several hours, observing, and doing the fluids, and she didn't vomit or have any diarrhea. She looked pretty good when we picked her up about 7:30, but they left the catheter in just in case. That "just in case" scares me. I HOPE she won't need to go to the ER, or even back to our vet, but the catheter is in, if she does. We can take it out. We'll touch base with the vet, and start her on ground beef and rice tomorrow. Is that okay? I don't want to do anything to further the intestinal upset. I've never dealt with HGE before, and I'm scared for our girl. I know I've seen posts about it, but can't remember the particulars.

Does anyone have more info or advice?

If you could send some prayers and good thoughts to Tess, I'd really appreciate it.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TeddysMom

I will be saying prayers for Tess and you. You might try strained baby meat instead of hamburger and when my boxer had gastritis my vet told me to cook the rice almost to mush and blend it so the stomach doesn't have to work hard to digest it. Please keep us posted.

If the vet didn't provide any instructions about food, I'd speak to her before feeding.

I hope Tess's night is uneventful, and that she's all better tomorrow.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry that Tess is going through this. I'm hoping that she did okay through the night-please, please keep us posted. I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers and am sending big hugs too! :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

If she had a high PCV/HCT, that can happen when dog is a bit dehydrated. That's probably why they left the catheter in -- easy to give fluids if more are needed today.

Hope she is on the mend now!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's very routine to leave a catheter in. Makes it so much easier if she needs fluids/IV today. Most dogs don't bother it. I would recommend speaking with your vet first before feeding. When I've dealt with this we let the stomach rest. Hope today is uneventful and Tess is back to normal.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Thanks, guys. She seems to be okay, though she did have more diarrhea last night. Doug gave her a little ground beef and rice this morning (mashed up real good), and she ate. We're going to call the vet later, and maybe try the baby food. So far, she's kept the food down. She had an injection last night, so we don't start the pills till tonight. We both have to go to work, but Doug is going to sneak back to check on her around lunchtime.

I just worry because she doesn't have much backup. I think she's too thin---though our vet thinks not. She weighs 57. Of course, I'm judging by Polly and Lydia, who could probably lose a few pounds. We feed Tess more, and she's been tested for everything, and we decided she's probably like Doug---thin for life---and the other girls are like me. Not thin.

I'll let everyone know how she's doing later. I can't post from work now, which is so frustrating!

Tess and I thank you for the good thoughts. Can you keep them coming?

ETA

Oh, maybe we should have waited on the food. The vet did say we could feed her a little this morning, but I was wondering too if she should be fasted a little longer.

Oh, jeez, I hope she keeps it down.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

We just brought our guy home from a two night stay at the vet hospital for suspected HGE. He had a bad bout of vomiting and was pooping blood - scared the bejeezus out of us. They gave him IV fluids, IV antibiotics (for the tummy infection) and IV pepcid to coat his stomach. We're continuing with orals meds at home, but he's started eating - ground beef and rice and a bit of kibble. He's clearly wiped out, but is recovering.

I'm sure you TLC will make the difference.

We'll say some prayers for Tess and you.

Guest Energy11

Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Tess. Sounds like the fluids did a lot of good, and keeping the cather in "just in case," is a good idea. Then, she doesn't have to go through getting another IV started. The catherter is just like a little plastic straw in there. The needle comes out after the IV is started.

Keeping good thoughts for you! Dee and The Five

sending hugs and prayers to Tess!!! :bighug:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

More good thoughts for Tess, I hope she improves.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.