Jaynie May Have Acute Kidney Disease

Things have taken such an unexpected, horrible turn, I am starting a new thread. The old one is Here.

I am in total shock. The vet just called and said the bloodwork done yesterday is indicative of acute kidney disease. All the kidney values are way high, her platelets are a bit low, and her liver values are also high.

This is in contrast to the bloodwork done just over a month ago, when everything was fine. They are trying to figure out what might have happened in between. Vet mentioned anti-freeze, but she would not have had any access so I don't think that's it.

They are going to redo the bloodwork, do an abdominal x-ray, and also get a consult with the lab to get their opinion. Depending on what the x-ray shows, they may do an ultrasound but can't get that done til Monday. They will also do a lepto titer. Jaynie has been vaccinated against lepto and was scheduled to have her booster on Tuesday of next week.

They need to do a urinalysis as well, but if I understood correctly, need to wait until she's off fluids to get a true result.

Pending all the above she will remain in the hospital on fluids and on Pepcid to ease acid in her stomach.

Please pray for my girl. She's only 4 years old - this just can't be happening.

Edited by Rickiesmom

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

Definitely redo the bloodwork. Perhaps there was human error? Also may want to consider a tick panel....they can rear their ugly heads at any time once a dog is exposed.

Guest Energy11

OMG!

It is tooo weird that this is all happening like it is! Has this happened since her surgery? I am wondering if this is all some type of reaction to the anesthetic??? Might want to ask the vet, as there were no problem, right?, before the surgery.

All I can say is, if the kidney and liver failures are ACUTE, they SHOULD be able to be reversed, once the cause is determined!

Love, hugs, and sooooooooooooo many prayers, coming from here!

To answer a few questions, and also ask some:

- the surgery went perfectly and was done by a vet I totally trust, so I don't think the surgery per se is a causal factor

- she did have a hard time recovering from anaesthesia after her dental; they made some changes this time and initially things seemed to be better after the spay; which doesn't mean anaesthesia isn't somehow implicated, just don't know how

- there was bloodwork done after her dental and it didn't show these things, so the results now are indicative of a problem that has arisen very recently

Tick panel - I had a basic tick panel done when I got Jaynie but I know they don't test for everything. If someone can tell me specifically what to have her tested for (or point me to a resource that has this info) I will certainly request to have the tests done.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest Energy11

You can Google Protatek Reference Labs, and there is a FULL tick panel they do specifically for greyhounds. You can even print out a requisition sheet. The vet draws a tube of blood, spins it down, and it gets sent out. THEY test for EVERY single TBD.

I'd give you the link, but my stupid search engine isn't working. Wishing for an answer for your soon!

Did they give her any pain medication either immediately before or after the surgery??

Rimadyl and other NSAIDS can occasionally wreak havoc with susceptible dogs

The Tick panel is the IDEXX4 Snap Test I believe

It is good they are checking for Lepto as there are more strains than are covered by the vaccination

Vest vibes and white light to Jaynie

Pam

- she did have a hard time recovering from anaesthesia after her dental; they made some changes this time and initially things seemed to be better after the spay; which doesn't mean anaesthesia isn't somehow implicated, just don't know how

- there was bloodwork done after her dental and it didn't show these things, so the results now are indicative of a problem that has arisen very recently

Tick panel - I had a basic tick panel done when I got Jaynie but I know they don't test for everything. If someone can tell me specifically what to have her tested for (or point me to a resource that has this info) I will certainly request to have the tests done.

I got the clinic to e-mail the lab report (ref range in parentheses). Here are the high values:

Total Protein 89.8 (50-74 g/L)

Globulin 46.8 (16-36 g/L)

Bilirubin,Total 9.8 (0.0-5.1 umol/L )

BUN 65.0 (2.14-9.8 mmol/L)

Creatinine 743 (44-141 umol/L )

Phosphorus 5.3 (0.81-1.94 mmol/L )

Hemoglobin 214 (121-203 g/L )

Platelet Count 64 (170-400 109/L ) (LOW)

Sending prayers for your girl. I agree with Kennelmom to have the bloodwork redone. I took Jonelle in for a full panel one time and her electrolyte values ( I think there are 3 of them?) came in off the charts. I was hysterical and then the vet said "these are not life sustaining values". :unsure Well, she was clearly alive and well. He knew there was some kind of error and we retested and she was fine. Hopefully, it's something as simple as that. :hope

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Good Lord, I'm just catching up on all of this...I can't believe her blood values could change that drastically. I hope it was a lab error. That did happen at my former vet's office...twice. The blood had hemolized (which indicated that the blood was not processed properly) and the results came back, and this is a direct quote from the vet, "incompatible with life".

Sending healing thoughts to your sweet Jaynie.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest boondog

The snap test doesn't test for everything. Protatek measures titers that indicate the presence of antibodies (as does the snap). NC State does PCR testing that will indicate active infection. Some people run a full panel at Protatek to narrow things down and then send a sample off for PCR testing. Please know that you and Jaynie are in my thoughts.

ETA: Antech does PCR, as well.

Edited by boondog

If you haven't already, get hold of Dr C Mary. This is the sort of case they are very good at puzzling through. I thinkOSU uses the lab in North Carolina for tick testing.

It's definitely an odd situation. You have my prayers, let me know if there is anything at all I can do.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry to read this.

Hobbes had Lepto last year and both his blood values and his symptoms were very similar. Considering it was the same time of year and we live in the same area it's something you and your vet should really consider as a possibility. I really hope it's not but just thought I would mention it.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info, I have most of Hobbes old blood work if you want to see it.

Sending Prayers to Jaynie and your family.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

We're sending good thoughts to you for Jaynie.

I apologize if this may seem redundant or off-the-wall, but could she have eaten something, or gotten into something outside? The only reason I ask is that someone just recently had their grey eat some mushrooms outside in their yard and she had kidney failure as well. Just a thought.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lepto titer a.s.a.p.!!!! Honestly, I don't think the platelet count is all that bad--there may have been some clumping making it hard to get an actual count.

edited to add--guess I should read more carefully--looks like your vet is on top of the lepto---we have seen a lot of lepto in my area lately-luckily they seem to be responding to treatment---iv fluids and antibotics. :)

Edited by tbhounds

Oh my gosh Mary, I am just seeing this. Big hugs for you and Jaynie, sending tons of white light and well wishes. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC