Riley

Guest Energy11
An interesting new development - the vet just called and let me know that he is hypothyroid. She sent the test away last week when he was diagnosed w LP. I am pretty surprised.

She had me pinch his toes on his bad foot to see if he would respond, which he barely did after a very hard pinch (I felt bad). She also told me to put warm compresses on his joints and move his legs around a couple of times a day. She thinks he pulled the nerves in his armpit when he did the splits, and b/c of his age it will take longer for him to recover.

She is so awesome, I don't think I've ever had a vet call to check on him before.

Wow, I just looked up hypothyroidism, and one of the biggest indicators is chronic skin infections. He has dealt with staph infections for years. So glad nobody else thought to do a thyroid test. <_<

No, the flashlight thing won't work if he has cateracts. It is just a test to see if there might be brain injury or swelling. I think you vet hit the nail on the head with the nerves. Also, yes, hyopthyroidism iwll cause everything you mentioned. I didn't know Curfew, 7, was hypothyroid, but, wow ... what a difference on his thyroid meds :-))

Do keep us posted on your Riley! Hugs from Dee and The Five

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone. We had another long night. He kept panting and crying all night. I took him outside a few times but did not let him stay outside. At about 3:30 he was crying so much that I gave him his Tramadol a little early. It seemed to help. He's still holding the leg the same. I will update if anything new happens. We really, really appreciate all the support. :grouphug

Lucy do they still have him on a pain killer? You can straighten his paw out though right? He just is choosing to hold it there. Shanti does that a lot, but she has VF in the wrist joint. She does it due to pain. She is on Tramadol. She is also hypothyroid. ;) Soloxine works best. We did not have good experiences with generic. Omaha Vaccine has it pretty cheap.

It is so frustrating when they are so off. :( Give that boy a big hug and kiss for me.

Edited by ShantisMom

The Girls

Lucy do they still have him on a pain killer? You can straighten his paw out though right? He just is choosing to hold it there. Shanti does that a lot, but she has VF in the wrist joint. She does it due to pain. She is on Tramadol. She is also hypothyroid. ;) Soloxine works best. We did not have good experiences with generic. Omaha Vaccine has it pretty cheap.

It is so frustrating when they are so off. :( Give that boy a big hug and kiss for me.

Yeah, he's still on Tramadol and Rimadyl, and the Valium. I am picking up his thryoid meds this morning. Thanks for the tip on the Soloxine. I'll make sure they don't give me the generic. Shanti is such a trooper :wub:

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

More positive, healing thoughts for poor Riley. Lucy, I'm so sorry you're both still not getting any relief, esp. your Ry-boy. It's so hard when they can't talk to us and tell us how it hurts or where or why.

:grouphug

How much Tramadol is he on? When Shanti was on 100mg 2-3x a day she was a space cadet. Could that and the Rimadyl being making him behave so off? When I was finally able to back Shanti down on the Tramadol, I got a different dog. Is this the first time he has been on these medications?

The Girls

How much Tramadol is he on? When Shanti was on 100mg 2-3x a day she was a space cadet. Could that and the Rimadyl being making him behave so off? When I was finally able to back Shanti down on the Tramadol, I got a different dog. Is this the first time he has been on these medications?

He's on 50mg 2x/day. Same with the Rimadyl. I know he hasn't been on both of these together before... not sure if he's ever taken Tramadol. My memory sucks. He's hasn't had many medical issues, so I don't think so.

I took Tramadol once and couldn't stand up straight. I thought I was going to hit the floor. I've never taken it again. It was the strangest sensation, like looking at the world through thick glass. I wonder if there is another pain med they could switch him to.

I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Tramadol did weirdness to Joseph, too. Almost ended up taking him to the e-vet because of it. Good med for some dogs, but won't use it for him again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I told my vet to use Valium on Darius once just ot get an xray, he was old and still so strong that they could not hold him down without moving. I told him to try valium, he panted a great deal on that valium.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Just wanted to comment how interesting it is to see such different reactions in pups to tramadol and rimadyl. Fritz has had a few minor neck problems and has taken tramadol with no issue, but, if I give him Rimadyl, he's a *total* space cadet :blink: Deramaxx is our NSAID of choice for stuff like that.

I've also taken tramadol with no problems.

Yeah, I'm a geek, but stuff like that is interesting.

I wonder if the combo of meds is making him goofy. Has he been on rimadyl before (without taking other drugs)? As I said, rimadyl made Fritz a space cadet...it actually was so bad that it scared me. Maybe talk to your vet and stop giving one or the other and see if the weirdo-ness goes away?

I would definitely have that spine looked at too...

I'm so sorry this is happening Lucy :(:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hi guys, Riley is about the same. Now his back right leg is swollen though :( (I was wrong and it's his left front that is hurt). I can't tell if it is hurting him more or not. He is not walking more than a step or two without coaxing. I am trying to keep reminding myself that it has only been 3 days since this happened. He just has to start feeling better soon.

Knowing you guys are all thinking of him is helping me a lot too.

Edited by RileysMomma