Riley

Yesterday evening Riley was excited about going to for a walk, and raced down the stairs. When he got to the bottom he fell and did the splits 2x. He was doing the death scream, couldn't stand, and in obvious severe pain so we got him in the car and to the e-vet since my vet closes at 5:00. 2 hrs later, the doctor comes in, feel around and says he doesn't feel anything broken so wait 2 days for an x-ray.

I kept asking if he was sure, and he said that's what he would do if it were his dog. He also said he used to work w a lot of greyhounds in Chicago and they are drama queens so don't worry. I tried to tell him that Riley can be a drama queen, but w real pain he is stoic. He gave him a shot (can't remember the name, starts with B ) and Rimadyl and sent us home.

Riley was completely freaking out when we got home... would not lay down but could barely stand or walk. His back legs are all shaky and he will put no weight on his right front paw. He was panting so hard it was crazy, and shaking , and just generally as miserable as could be. I called the vet back & they said he could be having a reaction the the shot, & to call back in 2 hrs. Finally my BF got the idea to put him in his airline crate, which I had totally forgotten about. We got him in there, and after about another 30 mins he lay down and stayed there, panting, until 5:30am.

This morning I took him out to pee, and he is no better. He is still in so much pain and now his front paw is huge. He will not touch food or water so I had to give him his Tramadol and Rimadyl on an empty stomach. I got him back in the crate and he is laying down now in a very unnatural position and just panting like crazy. My vet doesn't open for 2 hrs, but I will try to get him in asap for an x-ray and hopefully better pain meds.

I have never seen him like this, and it is just horrible. It is the worst feeling in the world seeing him in so much pain and not being able to help him at all. I feel lke the trip to the vet last night just made things worse, and I hate that we have to bring him back today and stress him out even more. :weep

Please think good thought for Ry, this is not good.

Edited by RileysMomma

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know your dog better than anyone. Do what you think is best, which sounds like getting him to your regular vet as soon as possible. "they are drama queens"?????????????? Really??????????? That's strange. I had one that was DYING of kidney failure before she ever let out a whimper to let me know that something was wrong! Maybe it's just Chicago greyhounds.

Prayers for Riley and hugs for you. Please update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I know, I am really pissed about that vet. At the time it seemed reasonable b/c Ry had been laying on the table for 2 hrs, and was relatively calm at that point. We thought we would come home and he would lay down and pass out from the meds. I should have trusted my instinct. I really, really hope my regular vet can see him asap, she is wonderful.

Guest ctgreylover

could be a pulled muscle. he still deserves respectful treatment from that evet.

My Tony has a bad neck and has had a pulled neck muscle several time. ITS the scariest thing. GSOD when just shifting his position slightly. pain meds and warm compresses helped him once we identified what happened.

Hoping for the best!

Guest Energy11

Yes, the Evet was a Arsk Butt!!!! After a fall like that, and the panting and shaking, x-rays were essential! In addition to limp fractures, what about the internal organs?

After seeing your vet, and getting a diagnosis, I'd call that Evet, and let him have it!!! What a mess!

Hoping your Riley is okay, and gets the right treatment and pain meds he needs!

You know your dog better than anyone. Do what you think is best, which sounds like getting him to your regular vet as soon as possible. "they are drama queens"?????????????? Really??????????? That's strange. I had one that was DYING of kidney failure before she ever let out a whimper to let me know that something was wrong! Maybe it's just Chicago greyhounds.

Prayers for Riley and hugs for you. Please update when you can.

Shanti is a MAJOR DRAMA QUEEN...unless she is actually hurt. Real pain equals stoic greyhound. Annoyance is GSOD. Show her nail clippers and she screams. Don't have to touch her. I don't see Riley as the drama type. He is a laid back guy.

Let us know what your vet says.

The Girls

Oh no. I am so sorry this happened. Please hang in there and send an update when you can.

Hugs to poor little Riley. I hope he is going to be ok.

Here as well.

I'm with Trudy, I wouldn't call, I'd be standing at the door when it opens. Your vet may want to have a chat with the e-vet when all is said and done. Hoping the best for Riley.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Bumper has done the splits 3x because of hind end ataxia during an autoimmune 'episode'. GSOD, but more of an annoyance. Thankfully no real damage as a result. I'll add it is AWFUL to see, though.

Hope Riley's front paw isn't serious and that he gets better soon.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I'm guessing the "B" shot was buprenorphine, a pain killer. Unfortunately what vets often forget to tell people is that a common side effect of a buprenorphine shot is heavy panting.

I hope your gorgeous Riley turns out to be okay. :goodluck

eta: I agree the evet should have xrayed. :angry:

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I hope Riley is ok.

I have a hard time believing that an e-vet has to wait two days to get xrays back. That doesn't sit right with me.

I go to NGAP and they have them right there.