Greyhound In Very Hot Apartment...

Guest rsb1

As far as fan placement, I have an idea that I use. I don't use A/C, myself, just fans. Can't do A/C!

I have a round fan, and it can move from being upright to pointing to the ceiling. I actually point it to the ceiling and the air seems to circulate pretty well.

We've never had A/C in any our homes.

My bf did say that running fans generates more electrical usage than A/C, so it's entirely possible it's more economical to use the A/C. This may be something to look into before making a decision.

Edited by TgrrValily

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sniffy

My previous residence was a condo which also had one "cool" room--the bedroom. This was when Twiggy was still with us. During hot summer days when we had to leave her alone (up to 3 or 4 hours tops) we left her in the bedroom with the a/c on and a bowl of water. She slept comfortably and almost never even got her lazy butt off of her floor-bed to even get a drink of water. She really liked the "cool room" and was not concerned with having the run of the house.

Granted every grey is different, but if you have one cool room why not let Fig stay there (the idea of the sheet in the doorway sounds good too)

Guest sja5032

If the dog doesn't have any SA issues I don't see why leaving him in the bedroom would be all that bad. I have 3 dogs that stay in our spare bedroom when we aren't home with a small ac so we don't have to waste energy running one of the larger ones all day.

Guest luckydog

People die in houses that are 93 degrees. I can't see how that could possibly be healthy for a dog whose ambient body temp is higher than humans. Put the dog in the bedroom or find alternate housing for your dog during the day.

i do the sheet over the door thing in the winter & summer, lets me heat the bedroom while keeping the rest of the house a lot cooler. dogs learned to go in & out within minutes and will go where they feel most comfortable. works in the summer too. i have a portable a/c that vents out the window thru a dryer duct thingy. bedroom stays cool while rest of house isn't. dogs move in & out thru the sheet as they see fit. in my case i nailed the sheet to the door frame at the top corners & center with it folded to the width and height of the frame. i can also toss it over the door to let air thru when appropriate breezes are flowing & windows open, or down when running the heat ot a/c.

doors001.jpg

up

doors.jpg

down.

i would like to thank blue for volunteering to demonstrate how to go thru the barrier.

he could not help but come thru to see what i was up to. millie, being more sensible stayed on the bed.

doors002.jpg

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

I think that is way too hot for a greyhound. I took Goldie for a easy walk one day, some of it shaded even-- and it was only around 80F - and he sufferered heat exhaustion! His temp went to 107.4F(cellular death occurs at 108F). I could hardly believe it- it really wasn't even that hot out! Thank God he recovered uneventfully. I admit I have been somewhat fanatical about their temp exposure since then. I leave TWO a/c's on. That way if one fails then they will still be cool because the other one will kick on. Aggie is 13 and she simply must not be exposed to any high temps- it could kill her. It don't make sense to me why if they originated in the desert they can't stand heat even as well as an "ordinary" dog but its been my experience they are very heat sensitive. I would be afraid to leave a hound without ac on a hot day. Heat stroke/exhaustion can happen sooo quick and it can be a killer.

Edited by racindog

Question for the breeders on the list: Many of our pups were born and raised in FL and OK. Are they brought into indoor air conditioned space while being raised, or are they raised in pens outdoors?

To the OP--I'd check your pup's temp, and use water and alcohol wipes on the paw pads to lower the dog's temp. I think the bathtub idea is a good one. I would limit exercise as much as possible.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm not an owner or a breeder but have been to quite a few farms. One or two farms had a whelping building with air conditioning, but most do not. The dogs for the most part grow up in outdoor runs 24/7 -- in 100+ degree heat in summer and the snow in winter. Some of the indoor/outdoor buildings I've seen had ceiling fans.

There is probably some difference with air flow in being outside or in a building with all the doors open than being in an apartment that doesn't have good cross ventilation. The kennels at the NGA are not air conditioned and I have left dogs there in high summer temps. It was not at all uncomfortable inside as the buildings have excellent cross ventilation.

The sheet over the door sounds like a good plan to me. Shouldn't cost too much to keep the one room cooler but not cold and learning the sheet would be like learning a dog door.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I live in the Boston area, and it's been VERY hot this week. You need to get at least one window A/C, keep your blinds drawn during the day, all the windows CLOSED and the A/C on.

I got an A/C at best buy for under $300, and it was simple to install, and there is nothing permanent about it. I'm not a big person, and I was able to lug it up three flights of stairs and put it in myself.

It's even an Energy Star rated one, so it's not costing me a bundle.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FordRacingRon
If you put your bedroom A/C on a high temp, like 76-78, and crack the door, he can go in there if he wants to, and it won't run constantly. We do that. It runs more than it would if the door was shut tight, but it's not horrible, especially if the windows are covered.

I like BauersMom's idea of a sheet.

This is what I would do. FYI our sitter doesn't have air in her house and here in the LA area is can get warm and I know of many days in the 100s where her dogs cooling was a lot of open windows and fans.

Guest Elwood

If its too hot for you then its too hot for your grey.

I've seen my girls affected by temps as low as 80F so 93 is really pushing it in my opinion

Edited by Elwood

Guest Javagirl

As mentioned above, a heavier sheet or curtain on a spring rod seems like it will do the trick for you. If your pup wants to wander around, he can and you won't be out anything more than marginal on your electricity bill. I think the heat is too high for a grey which you have mentioned, is already affecting your pup's habits.

We have heavy Ikea curtains on a spring rod in between our living room and kitchen/dining room when we want to only cool one room (or when I want to keep kitchen smells in the kitchen). Ladd has zero problems running in between the curtains when he feels like he might get a morsel in the kitchen.

Guest Greensleeves

I do agree that 93 degrees is too hot, but it's also normal for animals (and people!) to want to eat less when it's hot out, so that doesn't worry me too much.

I think you've gotten a lot of excellent suggestions here, and that you can use a bunch of them in combination. I'll also second Fionasmom's suggestion of a cooling bed:

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Canine-Cooler/1954/1474/

Guest kydie
:wacko: I live in western Pa. not a hot part of the country, in a big old turn of the century home, a/c not an option, but I keep box fans on the floor all over the house, some have 2 or 3 per room, over head fans, all windows open, and a/c in ther master bedroom all sleep there at night, 90 degrees would kill me!

The problem is that the way my apartment is setup, there is nothing I can do about the living room and kitchen being hot. I do have A/C in my bedroom and it is very cool but I don't think it's right to just lock him up in there for the day. I really think the heat is starting to affect him as he is eating less, doesn't want to go for walks. So the only real alternative I have is to lock him up in my room. Is this a viable option?

Many people baby gate their greys in a room when they go to work. Greys cannot be left behind closed doors, but, I would think baby gating him in your bedroom would be fine. My friend in Chicago does this, as one of hers destroys the house, muzzled or not. And, yes, it does sound like the heat is effecting him. Sure would be me :-( Summer Stinks!

:nod That's what I would do.

The A/C gets turned on in my house when the temp in the house reaches 80 degrees...for the dogs. Too hot for them otherwise.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest spider9174

attach a dowel rod across the top of a door way. drape a sheet or towel over the rod, needs to be long enough to go to ground. take a tub/pan/large bucket, fill with water. You may even want to add ice. put the end of the sheet/towel in the bucket. The sheet will act like a wick and water will go up the towel. Take a fan and point it towards the towel. The fan will cause the water to evaporate. This will cool the air...evaporative cooling.

i too think that is too hot.

When I lived in Arizona it was in an apartment on the top floor with no A/C because the apartment manager claimed we "don't need it in the mountains." Nice in the winter. Hotter than death in the summer.

A window A/C unit is your friend (and your hound's). If your window won't accomodate a window unit, you can also get portable units that can be wheeled from room to room. That's what I ended up getting. It vented out the window, but it sat on the floor. It was more expensive than a window unit but it was wonderful.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

Our A/C went out 3 months ago and we live in FL! I got a portable A/C that we can use in any room and window units for the others until I can save up to get a new unit.

Ronon thinks he is dying if temp goes above 80! I keep it on 78 and put up curtains to keep the livingroom cooler.

Casper stays in my bedroom which is the coolest room w/ AC on low and a fan. Foster dog stays in spare room w/ same set up. The rest are in the livingroom.

I would not leave them w/o AC. I've seen too many dogs over heat and die in our FL heat! Sure it runs the powerbill up some, but that is part of life with dogs!

Guest SoulsMom

I'm in Worcester, and I know I couldn't live without my window units. But! The first year I had my house (and Soul) I didn't have A/C. He survived, but I was out of work at the time and able to be home to keep him 'toweled down'.

Guest TBSFlame
The problem is that the way my apartment is setup, there is nothing I can do about the living room and kitchen being hot. I do have A/C in my bedroom and it is very cool but I don't think it's right to just lock him up in there for the day. I really think the heat is starting to affect him as he is eating less, doesn't want to go for walks. So the only real alternative I have is to lock him up in my room. Is this a viable option?

If I was a hot dog I would rather be locked in a room all day. My dogs sleep while I am away. Can you put another unit in the kitchen or living room? If not maybe a doggy door in the bedroom door so he can have a choice.

i have lived in cold water flats in my youth and i know exactly what you are talking about...are you on the top floor?

since you are lucky enough to have the wiring for an ac,(some of my old apt.didn't) make sure the filter is clean and you keep the vent closed. it will work more efficiently. is your ac powerful enough for your space?

DO OPEN the bedroom door and have a fan circulating the air to the next room. use the suggested tension rod and either an insulted drape or pin up a heavy blanket to keep the cooled air in, secure the blanket to the door frame so only one side opens. it will work. 2 rooms are more than enough space for your pup- REALLY ONE ROOM IS ENOUGH SPACE WHEN IT IS A HEALTH/HEAT ISSUE.

provide plenty of water and even a huge bowl of ice cubes, they love to chomp on them and how about wet towels for the pup to lie on? keep some in the fridge and replenish, but the floor will probably be the answer.

get those fans going, adding an oscillating fan could help and keep your shades down and don't let the hot day air in.

Guest jurishound

IMO, this is oppressively hot. A good rule of thumb is that when you are uncomfortable, whether it be in heat or cold, your dog probably is too. Keeping the AC on in the bedroom with a sheet over the door is an excellent suggestion.

I know that I would be incredibly hot and uncomfortable in an apartment that hot no matter how many fans were blowing the hot air around. I cannot imagine that your dog would be any more comfortable then you would be in that heat. I would say either leave him in the air conditioned bedroom, or at least put the blanket on the door to give him the choice of which room to stay in. I would keep the air on full blast to try and cool things down to at least 84 degrees.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

We experienced record heat here in Seattle the last 4-5 days, and it took some ingenuity to keep the house cool for Opie. Yes, we have window units in the bedroom, and the living room, with fans blowing the air around the rest of the house, but we still had to close off a number of rooms, 2 of which he uses daily. He has a little routine that he starts in one room when we go to work, then walks around, goes to another, etc, and ends up in the living room. He was not happy with some of his rooms being closed off, but at least it kept it bearable in here for him (and me when i got home!)

So yes, do what you have to do for your hound to stay cool. 90 is way too hot, IMO. We managed to keep it around 80 in here, which was great considering it was over 100 for at least 3 days.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12