To My Dear Sweet Boy...

Sundrop

Tuesday was like any other day - you were at my bedside bright and early, barking and talking to let me know I'd slept too late and you were ready for breakfast. You ate and cleaned every morsel your sister left behind (what a silly girl she is). Later that morning, your ears perked when I said the magic word..."Walk?" and you wanted to go further, but happily turned around to come home because you knew your sister couldn't walk as far as you. You played with your favorite toy...the skunk that chitters when you chew him. You RAN to your bed on the deck when you went outside in the afternoon and immediately dozed off...sunbathing...happy...dreaming. I'm glad I let you stay outside a few extra minutes, even though it was so hot.

At 6:00, on the nose, you ran upstairs to let me know it was time for dinner (do we even need clocks in this house?) and you were ready and waiting for your evening walk an hour later. You happily walked through your neighborhood, sniffing everything, ready to walk as long as I'd let you - but dad had to work late and it was just me on the walk, and your sister was so tired...so we came home. "We'll take you on a long walk tomorrow, I promise, buddy!"

You greeted your dad with elation at the door, jumping and barking and accepting the ear scritches with a deep and contented groan. Those feel so good! That night, you let us brush your teeth...and even got an extra treat (don't tell dad) and then I gave you a pat on the head and said goodnight. Your sister and I went to bed, but your dad wanted to watch tv, so you followed him down to your man-cave, where his "tv watching" turned into "sleeping on the couch" within about 2 minutes. At around 2:00 in the morning, you woke your dad with a bark - he looked, you were sleeping. He heard your soft dream-barks - content that you were okay, he turned off the tv and came upstairs to bed.

Wednesday morning I woke to the alarm at 7:45. I got out of bed...you didn't run upstairs when you heard us stirring. "Odd," I thought. I went downstairs and look in the living room, not there, either...where are you? I look to the bottom floor and softly call your name, "Keota." Silence. I take a few steps down and say a little louder, "Keota, buddy, time for breakfast!" Silence. I step into the family room and there you are, sleeping peacefully in the corner, "Wake up sweetie..." but you didn't stir. I leaned down to gently nudge you (I know how you hate for people to touch you when you're sleeping!)...

But you were gone.

And now the house is too quiet.

And I don't laugh 20 times a day anymore.

And I hated sleeping in until 8:30 this morning.

MyBuddy.jpg

Bathing_beauty.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest iHound

I definitely got a little misty eyed reading that. What a beautiful boy you had :grouphug I'm so sorry for your loss.

Run free at the bridge Keota :gh_run

Edited by iHound

What a sweet hound he must have been. I'm so sorry that he left you. Take comfort in the fact that he left for the bridge quietly in his sleep. Run free big boy.

L.

I was startled when I saw his picture. He looks so much like my Gustopher P (Jetstar Dazzler). What was his race name?

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest houndstooth4

I am so sorry for your loss, but what a blessing that you had such a sweet last day together and that he went so peacefully. It's what I hope for for all of my pups. It sounds like he had a wonderful, perfect contented life with you!

:f_pink

Guest redreed

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a sweet boy.

Run free Keota - there's lots of other early risers at the bridge, have fun.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry and crying with you for your loss.

Run with the angels sweet Keota - you are with some of the very very best -

I am so very sorry. It is obvious how much you loved him and he loved you. May your memories bring you comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest greytexplorer

awww :cry1

I'm so sorry about his sudden passing.

I know you will miss him terribly and always.

What a greyt companion he was! So glad that you found each other.

hugs,

Pat

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your precious boy so suddenly! It's almost impossible to wrap your mind around a loss that comes with no warning, and leaves your home and heart so awesomely empty. Though devastating for you, what a happy, peaceful last day Keota had, knowing till the very last minute that he was loved.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Wow, I am just overwhelmed by all of your kind words. Seeing his name here...and seeing all the responses has brought me to tears. He was truly a unique pup and he made everyday, even the very worst ones, a bit better. All the memories flood back and they almost all make me laugh, which of course, makes me cry. I am so grateful he went quickly and in his sleep - but it has left such a deep scar in my heart.

Thank you all so much. This really means a lot to a newbie here. :cry1

Guest boondog

What a beautiful tribute for a beautiful boy. I can't imagine the pain you're going through. I just hope you'll be able to find peace knowing how happy he was and that he knew true love. Godspeed, Keota.

I'm so sorry. :cry1 It was far too soon for him to leave.

Godspeed Keota.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)