Cora Needs Your Help Again

FCE

[FCE=Fibrocartilaginous Embolic Myelopathy; basically a clot in the blood supply to the spine--sort of a stroke in the spine.]

During the night, I heard some grumbling. I barked at the girls, and it subsided. Sometime later--I suspect very shortly thereafter--I heard more grumbling. I looked up to see Cora circling as if to lie down. I got up to see what the problem was, and Tally (the little stinker) stole Cora's spot. I directed Cora to Tally's place (adjacent on the diagonal), and when she stepped off the beds with one back foot, it slipped on the hardwood. I grabbed her and straightened her out, and she leaned her head on my lap for a bit--most uncharacteristic. As I tried to get her settled, I realized that she didn't seem to be able to use one back leg.

The good leg.

The one without a lot of expensive hardware holding the femur together.

I got her settled and stayed with her, stroking her face. When she seemed calm, I went to the bathroom. I was gone less than a minute, heard her, and raced back to find her standing. I got her settled again. After a bit, I took a couple of steps to grab a pillow, and she was up again. I stayed with her until about 6, then moved less than three feet away to get dressed. She got up again. I abandoned that plan and carried her down to her crate. I got organized and walked the others and as soon as the clinic opened at 7, I called. We were given the first appointment at 8am.

Cora was examined by the senior vet, who did the surgery on her femur. He found that she had very little control of the affected (right) hind leg, and diminished control of the right front leg. Her left front is fine. Her left hind is not affected, but is still recovering from the surgery just 3 1/2 months ago. She is, for all intents and purposes, a one-legged dog.

The one-sided nature of the symptoms suggests FCE; a lower-back disk issue would probably compromise both hind legs. As well, a disk issue that affected the front leg would have to be in her neck, but her neck seems pain-free. In fact, she appears to be in very little pain. She is alert, albeit distressed.

We discussed doing a bunch of horribly expensive diagnostics, but he feels tests would only improve the confidence in his diagnosis. He is 95% sure (+/- 3-4 percentage points), so we wouldn't gain much. The usual treatment (steroids) is controversial, and very risky for her because she's been on Metacam (an NSAID) for months.

He thinks the prognosis is fairly good because she does have deep pain response. (Watching him test for that was very disturbing.) At the very least, he wants to give it 24-48 hours to see if her condition stabilizes and--we hope--improves.

Cora has has a very difficult retirement since she joined us less than two years ago. She spent four months recovering from a deep soft-tissue injury to the right hip, endured two bouts of infected anals during that time, broke her left femur, and now has FCE affecting her right side. (I'm having trouble keeping straight which rear leg is her "good" leg; not only does it alternate, but each further insult leaves her with a weaker "good" leg.) Just a few days ago, she was finally freed from her post-surgery crate rest, and now she's stuck there again.

She is a wonderful sweet 10 year old retired racer and broodie who deserves better.

Please keep her in your thoughts.

Here are a few pics so you can see who you're rooting for.

Back in jail (I've left her Ruffwear harness on because she can't hold herself up while I put it on):

CFCE01.jpg

Eating a bickie:

CFCE02.jpg

The next two are from a couple of weeks ago and show her face better (I can't get a good pic today without the flash because we're having thunderstorms):

CFCE03.jpg

CFCE04.jpg

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh babydoll :( This isn't fair.. you're supposed to be healing. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Awww poor sweetie! Spencer has something very similar. I hope Cora gets better quickly! I'll keep her in my prayers.

Nothing but strong, healthy, healing thoughts for Cora. She is a beautiful girl with the best Mom. :grouphug:getwell:hope:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Energy11

BEAUTIFUL CORA! She looks like my Curfew, only a girl :-))

She looks like a REAL FIGHTER!!!!!!! Hang in there, Cora! We are with you!

Sweet baby. I know exactly how you feel, as this happened to one of my older girls -- I think she was about 9 or so. I had just gotten home from work (second shift, so it was at night) and let the dogs out. I no more than got the door closed than I heard a horrible scream. I ran out in the yard to find Callie (who looks a lot like Cora) on the ground, pulling herself around with her front feet. She had no use whatsoever of her hind end. My husband was out of town, so I called a good friend and he came over and helped me get her to the vet. My vet was convinced that she had a ruptured disc and she ended up staying at the clinic for about a week. She wouldn't eat and was just wasting away before my eyes. The only way we could get her up was to have a towel under her tummy and manuver her that way. When my husband got back in town, we went to pick her up and took her to Kansas State University Vet School. We had plans to have an MRI or CT scan done -- whichever would help us make a desicion about what she faced. Several vet students were assigned to her, and after all her history was taken, one of the vets (who was close to nine month's pregnant!) got down on the floor (Callie was on a padded matt) and did all kinds of range of motion things with her. By the time she was through with her examination, we got Callie up again, and with the help of the towel still, she was actually able to walk a little. It wasn't pretty, but she was walking. The diagnosis she received was FCE, which I had never heard of. The rest of the story is that Callie continued to improve -- slowly but surely. She was able to run around in the yard, and even managed to catch a slow rabbit! The first time she jumped on the bed to sleep with me, I just cried. She was always a little wobbly in the hind end after that, but I think she had another good two years or so until I lost her to cancer.

So.....the point of this long story is to tell you to hang in there with Cora.

My crew and I are sending lots of prayers and best wishes to you and Cora.

Here's a picture of my sweet angel Callie.

IMG_3441.jpg

Edited by pabozem

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Just curious as to why steroids are controversial? It is very crucial with hounds that suffer or are suspected to suffer a FCE to be treated with high doses of steroids within 48 hours of the injury. It reduces the swelling in the spinal cord. Alan suffered a FCE and high doses of steroids saved him from being paralyzed in both of his rear legs. He is now only partially paralyzed in his rear left leg.

Hoping for the best for Cora!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest hannahmom

Oh Cora,

Please do everything your Momma and your Betterenarian tell you to do.

You are a sweet little girlie, and I don't want you to be uncomfortable at all.

Kisses and hugs and cookies from Aunty Tena

awwwwww...poor Cora...sending lots of good thoughts for a quick recovery and lots of hugs for momma.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just curious as to why steroids are controversial? It is very crucial with hounds that suffer or are suspected to suffer a FCE to be treated with high doses of steroids within 48 hours of the injury. It reduces the swelling in the spinal cord. Alan suffered a FCE and high doses of steroids saved him from being paralyzed in both of his rear legs. He is now only partially paralyzed in his rear left leg.

From Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult:

"Methylprednisolone sodium succinate--may be beneficial if given within the first 8 hours after the onset of signs according to studies of acute spinal cord injury caused my spinal cord impact...[dosages and administration]. Controversial."

Also:

"Nonsteroidal analgesics--do not administer with methylprednisolone sodium succinate; increases probability of gastrointestinal ulceration"

The vet was not convinced that they would help, and would not administer a high dose due to the Metacam.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)