Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 22 (post-amp)

I have something to report!!!!

HE RAN!!! HE RAN!!! HE RAN!!!! :gh_run

He didn't run fast or far, but we decided to try it since we got a nice cushion of soft snow out there in case he slipped. He is just as graceful as he was with four legs! I'm so happy!

:confetti

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RSD_Ranger
Kristen, I just ran across this thread. I own Bart and Olive and live in Bolingbrook. When Ranger is feeling up to it, wanna come to a nice dog park in Naperville and let them run and have fun? Let me know, Olive is a nut at the park. Bart, well he will run if he feels like it, or if there is something small and furry to chase.

Chad

Excellent! Ranger always loved the Springbrook dog park (is that the one you're talking about?) We have a pass for the year for that one and the one up near Rte 53 (I can never remember what it's called. Greene something?) Once he is fully healed and can romp with some friends, we'd love to meet up.

You aren't by chance one of the couple I met on the street during the Watson search? If you were, thank you so much for the Musher's Secret info!! I got some and it is fantastic!!!

Guest greydogluvr

Run, run Ranger!!! I bet you were overjoyed. :yay What a precious boy. They are just such amazing creatures. Keep up the great news.

What a wonderful update on Ranger! Good boy!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Go, Ranger! Run, walk, sprint, gallop - no matter! Go get em'!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 28 (post-amp)

The only thing to report today is that his incision is completely healed! The bandages have come off and he is not really licking it. YAY!

UPDATE: Day 30 (post-amp) | 2nd Round of Chemo

Yesterday was our chemo, round 2. No noticeable change in him :) Although, one thing to report: he GAINED 4 lbs!!! Everyone was so happy he isn't looking so skinny anymore. Another 2-3 lbs and he will look perfect. We owe it all to Pediasure (vanilla) and EVO 95% rabbit. I put 1/2 can of rabbit into his dry food twice a day. Sometimes we had to "prime the pump" with a Pediasure. I can't recall a time when he turned down the Pedia.

We got the doctor's professional opinion: the incision is totally healed. He is now released for ... bath time!!! Ranger is probably thinking he's given up baths forever. His parents, however, have been thinking of all the places he's laid (surgery room, many different floors, ICU kennels, etc.) I can't wait to get him all clean again. I'm sure he would love to roll around in the mulch outside once he's clean. Lucky for me, we have a foot of snow covering every gross-smelling thing in the yard ... HA!

Happy Wednesday to all who are checking in!

Edited by RSD_Ranger

That's great news! Sending lots of :kiss2 's to your sweet boy. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greydogluvr

Great news. Thank you for the update. I am so glad he is doing so well. I would love an updated picture of your boy. Which type of chemo did he have this round?

Thanks for the update! I have been wondering how Ranger is doing! Joining the chant for pictures!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

You've all been in my thoughts........ I still have something for you.......... once the weather and my health allow me to get out of the house for more than a few mins at a time and a few more blocks to travel!

You should do some videos and post a link to YouTube! We could all learn from these pups...... they get through problems and changes so much better than we do. I'm such a wimp compared to a pup. They are the champions!

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

so glad he's doing so well, Kristen!!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kristen, thanks for posting the positive updates. You know how many cyber Ranger-fans are smiling when we see them, don't you? Has it really been 30 days since the amp? It was rough there for a while, wasn't it? But you have done SUCH a great job! I can feel your joy and pride at seeing your boy run. He's pretty awesome, isn't he?

We love you, Ranger, keep doing well.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What a wonderful update!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Oh Kristen. This is just the best news! You are such an inspiration - your dog searching, your handling this crisis, you are remarkable.

I hope you and Chad (greyhoundlvr) will give me a ring when the weather gets better so that Garth can join in.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Liz

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 32 (post-amp)

Thank you all for your well wishes, kisses and hugs for Ranger, and the support! It wouldn't be the same without being able to bounce this crazy stuff off people who have other options we hadn't thought of. I don't think that last sentence was really English, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it :blush

Range-man is a bit tired today ... maybe a side-effect of the chemo on Tuesday? He had his second round of doxorubicin (from OSU) and has three more rounds to go. Round three also comes with another triple lung scan so we can see if the chemo is keeping those little buggers out of his lungs. I found the Winter 2008 OSU newsletter to be extremely informative in explaining what all is going on. This round of chemo cost us about $300 (and that's with the $90 chemo cost being taken off because it was supplied by OSU).

Currently, Ranger (and all of us here in Range-land) are hoping to be the new milestone makers in longevity post OSA diagnosis. We're shooting for another 6 years with him :)

We have had another first here in post-amp Range-land ......... wait for it ............. HE SAT! It was a total fluke! I am so used to making him sit to get a treat, that I didn't even think twice before issuing the SIT command. That little sweetheart just plopped right down, did a bit of a roll to compensate for the missing leg, and SAT! I yelled for DH to come and see this while I grabbed my camera phone. So, here are two SITTING pictures for your viewing pleasure.

RangerSit2.jpg

RangerSit.jpg

And for those of you who read past the pics: we'd like to let you in on where Ranger got his name. Ranger was named VJG Howler as a puppy. Man, did he earn his Howler moniker. He roo'ed unrelentingly the first night I had him home at about 3am. I seriously thought someone was torturing a small child in my family room! Now, of course, he will roo on command and we think it's awesome! I am one of those who has to be around a dog for a little bit before the perfect name comes out. We had many family and friend suggestions and had narrowed it down to two: Shark and Ranger. Shark came from my (then) 4-yr old nephew. He's also the one who coined "Hopper." Ranger, on the other hand, came from a book and was suggested by my mom. If anyone has ever read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series of books, you will KNOW who Ranger is. As Stephanie Plum describes in the book Hard Eight:

"Ranger is more associate than friend. Although, I guess friendship is mixed in there somehow, too. Plus a scary sexual attraction. A few months ago we made a deal that has haunted me. Another one of those jumping off the garage roof things, except this deal involved my bedroom. Ranger is Cuban-American with skin the color of a mocha latte, heavy on the mocha, and a body that can best be described as yum. He's got a big-time stock portfolio, an endless inexplicable supply of expensive black cars, and skills that make Rambo look like an amateur. I'm pretty sure he only kills bad guys, and I think he might be able to fly like Superman. Although, the flying part has never been confirmed. Ranger works in bond enforcement, among other things. And Ranger always gets his man." Copyright © 2002 by Evanovich, Inc.

Well, after my first meeting with Ranger (if I've already described this, please feel free to move on :blush ) where there were 10 or so greyhounds all romping around at the backyard of the adopter's house waiting to be picked up. And the only dog who is not interested in romping comes up to me and stands at my side and gently places his head under my hand. And just stands there. Patiently. Waiting to be my friend. As he has done hundreds of times since to hundreds of people. I just knew that Shark, the name, would have to wait for another dog. Ranger, the respected Mr Cool had arrived. Because, he always gets "his man" (or woman)!!

A happy (if not cold ... it's about -15 here without the wind chill) day in Range-land :confetti

Guest RSD_Ranger
Which type of chemo did he have this round?

He had the OSU-supplied Doxorubicin. This was round two of five.

You should do some videos and post a link to YouTube! We could all learn from these pups...... they get through problems and changes so much better than we do. I'm such a wimp compared to a pup. They are the champions!

So very true ... I'm wimpy too! I asked DH to show me how to take videos on the video camera and post them up. We may be able to get some this weekend since neither of us has to work. Take care of you!

Kristen, thanks for posting the positive updates. You know how many cyber Ranger-fans are smiling when we see them, don't you? Has it really been 30 days since the amp? It was rough there for a while, wasn't it? But you have done SUCH a great job! I can feel your joy and pride at seeing your boy run. He's pretty awesome, isn't he?

We love you, Ranger, keep doing well.

I'm sure he is basking in the knowledge that he has cyber-fans!!! I can't believe it's been 30 days either, and yes, that beginning WAS rough. Though I'm still amazed we have come so far in what feels so short a time. He's the most awesome pup in my eyes. I treasure every day with him.

Oh Kristen. This is just the best news! You are such an inspiration - your dog searching, your handling this crisis, you are remarkable.

I hope you and Chad (greyhoundlvr) will give me a ring when the weather gets better so that Garth can join in.

Thank you Liz!!! :blush :blush :blush That is really too sweet. I'm really nothing special, just a regular person. I learned generosity from my Dad, and he learned from his Dad. You KNOW Chad and I will definitely give you a call when we set up a playdate for the pups. Know that I am still watching Watson's journey and can't wait for the day you post "HE'S HOME!" Talk about inspirations ... you and the Chicago group have been nothing but spectacular.

Ranger may be the sweetest pup ever - look at that face! :wub: Very, very best wishes go out to all of you for continued healing.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Your Knight in Shining Fur.............. that's what I called my ReRun........ Ranger is yours.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

I don't post much on these threads because I have never had to experience any of what you are going through. However, I just wanted you to know that I really admire your outlook and perspective. It really does help, you know. When our son was in treatment, we made the best of a bad situation and he came through like a champ. Here's hoping that you will be able to celebrate your milestones with your fur boy as I have been able to do my skin boy.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow