Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

I can't even read it. I just skipped to the end of the post and saw. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

I'll go back and read in a bit.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

Kristen ..... I think because we talk about our Heartdogs and share Moments here on GreyTalk .... It feels like we know this

Pup's by Heart and though Ranger , Stepper ,Ember and so many others . It feels like they were OUR Dogs and that's

Why it hurt's so bad . I am so truly sorry for your Loss. :f_red:grouphug:f_red:grouphug:f_red

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh no! Not another precious baby. It just doesn't seem fair. I am so so sorry for your loss.

I am going to go give Sherri a huge hug now.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest RangerDad

As Ranger's Dad, I would like to say that I really appreciate everything that has been said in this thread. It has really helped both me and my wife to get through what has been an awful ordeal. My memory that I keep replaying in my head is my seeing him running around the backyard, and then come running up to me with that tongue hanging out.

Godspeed

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What an amazing tribute to your wonderful boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry. Godspeed sweet baby boy. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

There are just no words to express the sadness we are all feeling at the passing of Ranger. He was a one of a kind, very special boy that we all came to love and cheer for in fighting this disease. May you find comfort in all those special memories and moments that you shared with him.

f_yellow f_yellow f_yellow

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest RSD_Ranger

I thought of moving this to remembrance, but I realized all of you who have followed his journey might not find it. So I'm just keeping it all together in one thread. Also, I haven't yet gotten the guts to go over to the Remembrance area, so please forgive me if I'm not "following the rules." Talking about him and reliving good memories is really helping me to not bawl my eyes out.

Before I get to the music part, I have to share another one of our made up words from Ranger's world:

Cro-bious: Acting like Velcro by not leaving your side. "Ranger must be mad that we left to go out to dinner because he's being extremely cro-bious."

Ranger and Music, Part I

Soon after Ranger came to live with me (I wasn't married yet, so it was just Ranger, Kelsey and myself) I became enthralled with the show CSI. Not only because of the show and it's interesting techniques, but because I love old Who music. So every time the theme would come on, I would crank the volume and sing along. One day, while DH (DB at the time ;) ) was visiting, I did this. DH noticed that Ranger started acting really weird when the "whooooooooooooo whoooooooooo whoooooooooo whoooooooooooo" part was on. Which, of course, was the part I was imitating (loudly). DH pointed this out to me and I saw what he was talking about. It was like Ranger started cowering (for lack of a better word). His ears went back and his head went low and he just looked uncomfortable. I have absolutely no information on his track days, but we could only guess that maybe he had heard the song at the track? Maybe someone who hadn't been so nice to him made a similar sound? All I know, is that CSI was watched less and less here and anytime the theme came on, I muted the volume so he didn't have to hear it. I still think it's quite odd that a dog could not like a particular song. :dunno:

Ranger and Music, Part II

Now this is the part that hopefully will make you laugh now and in the future. For some absolutely ridiculous reason, I began calling Ranger Mr Moosh. I may have told of this in earlier posts, I honestly don't remember. It's because I can't help but kiss his cheeks and say "moosh!" So Mr Moosh, or Mooshman, became one of those names that he eventually started answering to. DH even calls him that as well. Not too long ago it occurred to me when calling him Mr Moosh that it sounded very much like Scaramouche ... sooooooooooo I redid some lyrics to the Queen song "Bohemian Rhapsody" and it became something I sang to him with a grin almost every day.

Here is Ranger's song (and our silly translation in italics):

I see a little silhouetto of a pooch,

Mr Moosh, Mr Moosh will you do the fandango (fandango = acting like velcro and staying by your side)

Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening me (thunderbolts = farting / lightning = marking in the house)

Galileo, galileo,

Galileo, galileo

Galileo, figaro

I'm just a sweet boy, everybody loves me

He's just a brindle boy from a crazy family

Spare him his life from this monstrosity (monstrosity = osteo)

Easy come easy go, will you let me go

Mooshmooshma! NO! we will not let you go! <let him go>

Will not let you go <let him go>

Will not let you go <let him go>

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! (kinda prophetic, eh?)

Mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go

My brindle boy, you're not going anywhere without me, without me, without meeeeeeeeeeeee

So next time you hear that on the radio, think of our sweetheart and know that even though our boy was fighting big bad osteo and learning how to become a tripod, he lived in a house of laughter and love. I will think of him every time I hear that song.

Mr Moosh, Mr Moosh, will you do the fandango?

Edited by RSD_Ranger

To be honest I had not followed Ranger's story but ran across it today due to it being mentioned on the phone. I came here and just got through reading the whole thing. I thought I was on the way to not crying anymore. I have cried for dogs and their people who I have never met in person but feel like they're family. I am not typing this with tears streaming down my face.

I am so, so sorry that Ranger's story didn't have a happy ending. He sure was a trooper.

:bighug:bighug:bighug

I'm typing this sobbing my heart out for you guys.......

So desperately sorry that Ranger lost his battle.

He had so much courage, as brave as you - his family are.

You did the RIGHT thing by him EVERY single time and he was blessed to have found you as you were for him.

You're humour in all this is awesome and very moving.

Sending our deepest sympathy we've been touched by your journey together.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Oh my God, Kristen I am SO SORRY!!!!!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

I'm shedding tears for your sweet Ranger -- may he run free and painless at the bridge :cry1:weep:cry1:weep

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Just thinking of you this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RSD_Ranger

Thank you all for your kind words. They help more than you could know.

Yesterday it was good that we got out. Arriving back home was awful. This house is so quiet now. Waking up this morning left an empty pit in my stomach, as we usually would hear our boy snuffling or sighing or scritching the bed into place as he woke up.

I know it's too soon, but I talked to DH about fostering. We then both agreed we need to heal first before we can be a good home for another dog.

We chose a group cremation vs a private cremation. The cost was roughly half that of the private and we are going to donate the additional money toward a greyhound-type fund of some sort. Of course, OSU's greyhound research is on the top of the list, but we want to make sure we do what can help the most houndies in the future. We also allowed the VCA or OSU to perform an autopsy if there was any chance at all that it would help them find a cure. I don't think I will follow up to see if they choose that option. Best to let them do what they must and focus on our good memories.

Last night I found a million photos of Range on my computer. I will go through them as I can and post the good ones. Those golden chocolate eyes melt my heart. The similarity of Kodi's and Ranger's eyes always struck me as a link between the two.

Mr Moosh, I hope you are doing the fandango with Papa.

Oh God Kristen, I just heard, I am so so sorry. Ranger fought the good fight.

God speed handsome boy, you are in the company of Angels running young and free.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest K9_Lady

:cry1 Kristen, I am so very saddened by your loss of Ranger. He knew how much he was loved and my boy is watching over him. They will be forever in our Hearts and always at our side. paw.gif:brokenheart

Thank you for sharing his music and your stories of him. Sending you a huge hug and call if you need anything.

A friend sent this to me when I lost Arco...

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he shall make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with the night and pay no worship to the garnish sun”3323304019.jpg

rungrey.gif80014872.jpgGod Speed sweet Ranger...you will be missed...