Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

Oh, Kristen, like everyone, I'm crying for you and your husband and your precious Ranger. In a short time, he had become so dear, so familiar, to all of us that we can't help but share your loss deeply. The shock and sadness.....you know, I honestly can't find the words for what I'm feeling, and trying to say. I want to say something to comfort you, to let you know that we understand, and you, in your grief, have already found the words to make everyone else smile! You were able to chronicle his journey with such humor and hope and eloquence, showing your love and devotion in every word. I think we all thought that if love alone could fight the monster and win, that Ranger would be with us for a long time. It just seems impossible to comprehend....I know your heart is broken into a million pieces, but even now, you are finding strength and comfort in your memories of an exceptional dog. And you should. And you should know that you made for him a life that was filled with love, so safe, so fully appreciated and understood. I thank you for sharing him, and am so very sorry for your loss.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranger taught me that there can be more that one "best dog in the world" in someone's life.

Ranger (VJG Howler) 9/16/02 - 2/6/09

I'm so sorry you lost your boy. Your statement above broke my heart.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

So next time you hear that on the radio, think of our sweetheart and know that even though our boy was fighting big bad osteo and learning how to become a tripod, he lived in a house of laughter and love. I will think of him every time I hear that song.

Mr Moosh, Mr Moosh, will you do the fandango?

Oh, Kristen, I am so very sorry for your loss. Ranger (Mr Moosh) is certainly doing the fandango with all of the other Greys gone before him.

Godspeed, Ranger.

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Guest RSD_Ranger

The phone rang at 7am and woke me out of a deep sleep. I stared at the number on the phone and thought to myself, "It was all just a bad dream!" It was the vet's number. There seriously was a part of me that thought he was just hanging out in ICU and they were calling to say he was ready to come home. It's scary how your brain can grasp at any little item that might make this all go away. It was Ranger's oncologist calling because she had just gotten in and heard the news (oncology is off Friday - Sunday). She was beside herself and kept saying, "I just can't find any reason for this. I'm so shocked." She even reviewed his past chest films thinking something had been missed, but no. She told me that she had fallen in love with him and was so very sorry. He touched everyone who knew him, even if it was just for a brief moment.

Today is going to be a bad day: DH went to work and I am staring at my computer trying to work while the house is so quiet. It is like a tomb. Echoing in its quietness. And the funny thing is that it's not like Ranger was loud, he was just here. I could hear his snuffling exhale when he was dreaming, or his sigh when he stretched. Whatever room I was in, he generally followed unless the sun was a greater draw ;)

I knew it was going to be tough when I realized I had turned on the little TV in my office AFTER I had my iPod going. I probably didn't notice that both were on for about 20 minutes! And it's not like I had my iPod on with headphones: it's rigged up to speakers, so I'm a little off today.

I've lost my appetite and know I'll have to watch the clock to make sure I eat at regular intervals. It's rainy and grey here today. Heaven is crying with joy as they meet him? I don't know. Sounds good for now.

I want to respond to the really awesome things people have posted here, but my brain is kind of slow right now. I hope you forgive me for leaving that for a bit later today.

Here's hoping the sun comes out, cuz that always lifts my mood :)

Guest RSD_Ranger
Oh God Kristen, I just heard, I am so so sorry. Ranger fought the good fight.

God speed handsome boy, you are in the company of Angels running young and free.

Thank you Carla, from one Amber Alert Angel to another!!

We are so very sorry.

Glynis and Winslow

Glynis, I want to personally thank you for all of your advice via email. You really helped me through some crazy questions I had and gave me a lot of tips I never would have thought to ask about. I hope Winslow had the party of a lifetime that he deserved last week!!

:cry1 Kristen, I am so very saddened by your loss of Ranger. He knew how much he was loved and my boy is watching over him. They will be forever in our Hearts and always at our side.

Thank you for sharing his music and your stories of him. Sending you a huge hug and call if you need anything.

A friend sent this to me when I lost Arco...

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he shall make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with the night and pay no worship to the garnish sunâ€

Karen, that's absolutely beautiful. I thank you for sharing it. I just thought of Arco the other day as I was reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. The German Shepherd in there brought thoughts of you and Arco. I know you understand our pain.

Oh, Kristen, like everyone, I'm crying for you and your husband and your precious Ranger. In a short time, he had become so dear, so familiar, to all of us that we can't help but share your loss deeply. The shock and sadness.....you know, I honestly can't find the words for what I'm feeling, and trying to say. I want to say something to comfort you, to let you know that we understand, and you, in your grief, have already found the words to make everyone else smile! You were able to chronicle his journey with such humor and hope and eloquence, showing your love and devotion in every word. I think we all thought that if love alone could fight the monster and win, that Ranger would be with us for a long time. It just seems impossible to comprehend....I know your heart is broken into a million pieces, but even now, you are finding strength and comfort in your memories of an exceptional dog. And you should. And you should know that you made for him a life that was filled with love, so safe, so fully appreciated and understood. I thank you for sharing him, and am so very sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much. You said it all perfectly. We were hoping to join Winnie in showing that osteo doesn't have to win, she gave me such hope! I'll admit I really wanted to change my sig after a year, and then two years, and then three years, and then ... FOUR years!!

I had actually replied to all of the posts since my last, but I lost them and had to retype them THREE times. My brain is not so good right now, so I think I may have missed some. Please forgive me. Every single person who posted (from day 1 until now) helped me in such a way that I cannot repay. When I was feeling low, I would log on and check out how things were around here. A hug, a little note, some encouragement, whatever it was, it helped!! I also thank you to all who emailed me personally. And one last thank you -- to those who post funny pics in the Funny Things Greyhounds Do (or whatever it is properly called) here on GT. I laughed when I thought there was no laughter. I cried tears of joy when I thought that couldn't be possible. My absolute favorites were the Big Dog/Little Bed and Braces.

I finally created a spot in Remembrance for our Mr Moosh. I hope at the end of summer to be posting about Ranger's legacy as we hopefully welcome some fosters into our home once we heal.

Edited by RSD_Ranger

Any hound who lands with you will be a lucky hound indeed.

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest RSD_Ranger
Oh God Kristen, I just heard, I am so so sorry. Ranger fought the good fight.

God speed handsome boy, you are in the company of Angels running young and free.

Thank you Claudia, from one Amber Alert Angel to another!!

fixxed! :blush