Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

Sending hugs, he looks great!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Well, the news is official: it is osteosarcoma according to the biopsy. We are going in tomorrow for both staple removal and his first chemo. His incision is obviously healing, as he's trying to lick it a lot. I'm going to check out Mango's homemade Bite-Not collar, cuz the megaphone scared the bejangles out of him.

I guess each chemo treatment costs about $400. The first one is $500 because they do an ECG on him the first time. Luckily, the OSU-supplied chemo drugs will save us $100 each time. Thank doG for OSU!!!!

I'll report back as to what the chemo administration was like as well as the staple removal. I'm going to go search for a chemo thread so I am at least prepared for this event. The last thing I want is for Ranger to be picking up on my anxiety. I'm amazed he still hops out of the car when we get to the vet -- you'd think by this time he would run for the hills!

Hopefully we will have a quiet night :)

Chemo treatment outline:

5 sessions (2 week intervals) of Doxorubicin (Adriamycin)

Each session will include:

* IV Fluid Therapy

* CBC w/Differential

* Injectable Doxorubicin

* Chemotherapy Infusion

There are many side effects (each with a solution) that they have already given me. To include: nausea, loss of appetite; vomiting and diarrhea; lethargy; skin damage at the injection site; low white blood cell count; heart problems; allergic reaction. Unfortunately, most of these occur days after the administration. So it sounds like we are going to be on alert for the next couple of months. Ugh.

Edited by RSD_Ranger

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 12 (post-amp) | Chemo Dose #1

Staples came out and the incision looks pretty good. We got scolded because I guess he has been doing some secret licking. We are now wearing a soft e-collar, but his neck is so long that he can still get to it. I'm going to put Mango's homemade Bite-Not back on later today. When we put it on him yesterday, he just stood there for 20 minutes looking miserable. DH took pity on him and took it off.

Chemo was a snap (for us -- we got to go get breakfast). Ranger seems very normal. We are prepared for vomiting/diarrhea with some meds in case that happens in a few days. He came home and ate half a bowl of food and drank some water, so it obviously hasn't kicked in yet ;) He also snarfed up a half a bottle of Pediasure. He LOVES that maybe even more than EVO Rabbit!

Hoping for another uneventful day ... I think the hardest thing today is going to be monitoring the licking. Let's see if the Bite-Naught® (haha, that's to show it's a faux Bite-Not) will work on that long giraffe neck of his.

Glad that chemo 1 is over and done with :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

UPDATE: Day 12 (post-amp) | Chemo Dose #1

Let's see if the Bite-Naught® (haha, that's to show it's a faux Bite-Not) will work on that long giraffe neck of his.

:lol That's a perfect name for it!

Good luck, Ranger, with your chemo. My vets won't release Mango yet for that. They want her to get a little stronger. Thanks for giving me an idea of the cost, though, because I haven't even gotten far enough to ask that question yet.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Re licking: Have you tried a kennel muzzle, with tape on the no-licking side? It worked for Joseph when he had his innards surgery -- he'd try to lick a bit and then give up. I did take it off him when he was well-supervised so that he could perform Necessary Grooming Tasks.

Hugs to you and your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BooandCalisMom
As someone else said, I hope all the great work you do for the lost greys comes back 100 fold and Ranger recovers. You helped us find Caju in the fall of 2007. He was out two weeks in Maryland. Thinking of you and Ranger and wishing you the best.

Oh Kristen - I was also on the Caju search as well as a few others and I just stumbled across this thread. Many prayers for you and Ranger. I am horribly sad to hear of the diagnosis but I know that with your love and attention Ranger will recover quickly. You've done so many things for many other GTers, and hopefully we're all able to lift your spirits during this difficult time.

Hang in there!! We're all rooting for you and Ranger.

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 13 (post-amp)

Well, yesterday was pretty good. We had quite a few crying jags last night. I could see the source: his stumpy leg muscle would tense up so much -- it was hard as a rock. I'm sure it feels really awful with all those nerves just firing away in there. That area looks pretty vascular -- you can often see the blood pumping through veins and arteries in that area.

Our biggest issue now is the licking. We have tried everything that has been suggested so far. The Bite-Naught® turned out to be a sneaky placebo for mommy. I thought he had put himself to bed last night, only to find out he spent 10 minutes licking like crazy and really irritating the bad part of his incision. He looked so stiff in the Bite-Naught® that I thought there was no way he could have bent his neck. Just goes to show, where there's a will ... there's a way! While he was wearing the Bite-Naught®, I kept silently chuckling as I was reminded of Mr Dugan from the Brady Bunch. He's the one that ran into Mrs Brady in the parking lot and then pretended he had whiplash, even showing up in court with a neck brace on. That wily Mr Brady knew better and foiled that sneaky plan with a well-placed throw of his briefcase. Mr Brady is so smart!

We also tried the soft e-collar: too short for that long neck and tongue! Our last resort was the hard plastic e-collar: scares the poop right out of him! He goes running from himself.

We tried the plastic play muzzle with tape. I really thought this was going to be the aha! solution (thanks Batmom) but then I just worried he was going to vomit from the chemo and it would get stuck in there and he would drown in his own vomit. I had to take that off, as it was making me crazy with worry. That will be our go-to solution once the vomiting is no longer an issue.

So ... our final solution was:

A modified soft e-collar. We had to extend each vein with folded over copy paper and clear taped the whole thing together. It's now longer, but at least he will relax with it on. He looks quite ridiculous and I won't post a pic to save his dignity. Let's just say he's got the hoopdie collar and it's not pretty. That thing is ridiculously loud at night as well. Imagine the sound of someone folding/unfolding a newspaper in your bedroom every time they moved to get comfy. Argh! Of course, we all know what's going to happen: he will vomit all over it and it will have to be thrown away (or at least taken apart, cleaned really well, and remade).

I'm hoping to get 1-2 solid days of unadulterated non-licking in for a good healing session on that last part of his incision. Crossing our fingers for no vomiting/no scoobies.

Would it be possible to wrap a towel around the hoopdie collar just as a protective layer? That way, you could wash the towel and save the collar. Also, you could try a second strap on the Bite-Naught (I laugh everytime I read that - you have a way with words!) down on the shoulder end that might make it stiff enough. Mango is a front let amp, so the single strap is enough to prevent her from reaching her incision.

Good luck and here's hoping that Ranger continues with no ill effects from his chemo.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 14 (post-amp)

Happy New Year everyone!!

My new mantra: Maintain civility, sense of humor, sanity. Rinse and repeat.

I swear I'm going nuts. Cabin fever has kicked in bigtime. So overnight last night sucked. Ranger just could not get comfortable and was up every hour either whining, crying or standing in the closet staring. The staring at the wall in the closet started creeping me out -- felt very end of the Blair Witch movie to me. DH had to go to work today, so I'm sure he's pretty crabby with the lack of sleep. Don't blame him in the least. We have reverted back to the original frosted plastic e-collar for now. Ranger is so creative in finding ways to lick that incision!

Note to all who are reading this and have just had the amputation done:

1. Leave the fentanyl patch on until they tell you it must come off. That thing did wonders we weren't even aware of.

2. Find out the name of the vet goo-gone stuff they use to remove adhesive. Get some and use industrial strength tape on incision dressing.

It would have been so much easier to deal with the licking issues when he was totally doped up. Now that he is off the big pain meds, he is so curious and just goes to town on it!! Two days ago I had to use hydrogen peroxide on it because he had gotten some parts looking infected. I also put a small swipe of Neosporin on it and we bandaged that thing up like Fort Knox. I will remove the bandages tomorrow and check it out. At least this way he got 2-3 solid days of healing in. I also have to remember to go get more bandage when DH gets home! YAY, a trip out of the house for Mommy!!! I call that a sanity soujourn!

I will also remove his bandage from the IV for the chemo. I left that on a long time too just in case it has something lickable in it as well.

I also sent an email to Dr Couto's team about adding Artemisinin (thanks for the reminder Jurishound!!) I will keep you updated on that as well.

OMG -- Ranger just turned around in his plastic e-collar and was able to lick his leg ... he can reach it!!!! Pardon me ... <throws things around the room, pulls out hair, swears like a trucker>

Ahem, ok, sorry about that. I can't believe it. Right there in front of me too! This is like that little kid who has chocolate around his mouth and swears he did not eat the cookies!

OK, back to Bite-Naught® (it's the ® that makes me laugh!) with two big things of tape. Mr Dugan from the Brady Bunch, here we come!!!

Will update later if that is a solution for now. So far, no chemo side effects (pray for us that it stays that way) :)

Edited by RSD_Ranger

Kristen,

I've never had a dog with an amputation, but a thought just came to mind. Can you find an old T shirt that will fit on Ranger's back end (tail through the neck hole) and sew up the sleeve on the amped leg side. I'm wondering if covering it like that would keep him from licking the area.

FWIW,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE: Day 15 (post-amp)

Great news! It was a completely uneventful night last night with everyone sleeping soundly. We are now giving him the tramadol when he needs it vs at every 8 hour increment. He displays pain by shaking. We hate to wait until the pain has set in, but we need to start figuring out if the pain is subsiding to give his little body a break from so many drugs.

We are still chemo side-effect free!! He is eating normally (we are still mixing in 1/2 can rabbit with his regular kibble) and drinking well. We still supplement with 1-2 Pediasure's a day just to try to make sure he's getting what he needs. We'd like to see less of his ribs these days ;)

I took off the IV dressing ... nuttin there. So, I finally learned my lesson -- keep that stuff on an extra day :) I will be changing his hoopdie bandage (now called the NO-LIKS®) today. I'm venturing out to Walgreens and leaving him on.his.own. It will be a big step for both of us ;) We'll see if he waits 2 seconds after the door closes to begin his frenzied licking session.

Thanks all for the BITE-NAUGHT® suggestions ... Mango, the hoopdie collar would not hold a towel. Seriously, it is made of some Tyvek type of material and supplemented by hoopdie paper and tape. Since he's not wearing it, I'll post a pic. This way it won't embarrass him (haha). Daisy, I'll have to see if I can fashion something like that. I'm worried about creating something that could get tangled up in his one back leg. The last thing we want is for him to trip back there and go down on stumpy.

Hoopdie BITE-NAUGHT®:

photo-3.jpg

Re: Artemisinin -- I got this response back from OSU: "I would hold off on the artemisinin for now, since we do not know how it interacts with the conventional chemo drugs. No problems in using it after Ranger finishes the chemo protocol." So we will be waiting until his chemo is done.

And now for picture time! I think it's been long enough that I can finally look at those first photos I took in the ICU. The bright red on his belly is bruising. It eventually went all the way up his chest to his neck. That bright red was so disturbing!!

Here he is in the ICU (Day 1 post-amp):

photo-2.jpg

Here is his incision today (with hoopdie NO-LIKS® on!). The part that is not covered by the NO-LIKS® is looking greyt!!!

photo-1-1.jpg

Here is his sweet face as he gives me the "C'mon, I said no pics!" look:

photo-2-1.jpg

Liz, Garth

and foster Lulu

Thanks Liz!! I think about you and the Watson troops all the time!! So, do tell ... foster Lulu????? YAY!! :yay

I know I'm rather late with this, but I know your boy will do well with his amputation. Reading your story is like going thru Clark's amputation all over again. Seeing your picture of his "stump" is just like looking at Clark. Our Clark went thru this March of 2008, had 5 chemo treatments and now goes every 3 months for a chest x-ray and 6 months for a CBC

panel. So far, all had been fine and keeping good thoughts for his January visit.

Clark was late in starting his chemo because our Vet, although doing amps on other dogs, this was his first greyhound amputation and he did not put in a drain. You can imaging what

that was like. Horrible !!!! It left a hugh hole in his thiegh which took forever to heal. But I thought if Ranger is still likcking, this is what we did. Nothing seemed to keep him from

licking until we bought the mens' underwear. The kind that comes part way down the thiegh. We had to change these often due do the sites weepage, but boy, he just could not get

to the actual site no matter how hard he tried. We put them on and used vet wrap around the band at his waist to keep them on and from falling down, they were just long enough

that left air in but that long nose just could not figure out how to get in since they hung down so far.

I know your boy will be just fine. We had no problems with the chemo in any way and no problem with feeding. Clark will eat anything.

He will be running before you know it, howevere, taking the corners can be a little tricky.

Good Luck to you and will wish you a blessed new year.

Linda

Guest paulamariez

Ranger you are such a good boy tolerating all of this! You are a beautiful brindle boy! Stay strong sweet boy! I am sending you lots of healing prayers, love and white light so that you get better quickly, heal up without any problems and continue to be problem free with your chemo as well. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are also sending Ranger tons of healing doggie kisses too! I'm sending Ranger a bunch of hugs, pets and kisses! Get well sweetheart!!

He looks greyt. Continued prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project